What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

militia420

Here is an actual pic of some African sativa that a good buddy of mine grew in his backyard on the windward side of Oahu, circa 1980.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1936&pictureid=1914331View Image

It was awesome weed, and tasted like tangerines and berries. He called it Haiku Kookoo.

RMS

:smoweed:

That sounds unique and delicious. Any idea what part of Africa it was from? I had swazi seeds years ago that I never got around to growing out from being swamped with too many seeds and health issues.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
70’s Hawaiian, still alive

70’s Hawaiian, still alive

I was entrusted with old lines from the 60’s and 70’s after a group elected and vouched for me.

The breeder was part of the Brotherhood and bred up til ~’82 - a fortuitous coincidence
Part of that collection is Mr Blue - the first Blueberry (‘79-‘81).

The Hawaiin I germinated blew my mind.
In Veg, the leaves were a glowing blue/green that caught my eye everytime - talk about a plant that talks to you; these spoke to my heart.

The male was the most Mexican thing my Mexi-lovers buddies have seen since Daddy Bush.
One female was sativa, the other female a hybrid that reminded me both of NL and OG Kush.
So I hit up NL Greg and other old heads to verify.
Sure enough, these are special seeds. Definitely ancrestral to NL.

It got broke down like this to me:
(Thai x Jamaican) x (BoEL Mexican x Afghan)

Attachments

• 88D4E3D9-CA0F-447C-9B5C-911341587C9C.jpg
    88D4E3D9-CA0F-447C-9B5C-911341587C9C.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 60
  • B42E4C5C-B190-4B6C-88D9-D2962BF6E158.jpg
    B42E4C5C-B190-4B6C-88D9-D2962BF6E158.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 67D7086C-16E2-4449-83ED-D26DBAFE3340.jpg
    67D7086C-16E2-4449-83ED-D26DBAFE3340.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 423ED8F6-A11C-4349-B47F-9F15E53858DC.jpg
    423ED8F6-A11C-4349-B47F-9F15E53858DC.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 53
  • 7CBC0C96-8768-477D-AEE1-D4D3CE115257.jpg
    7CBC0C96-8768-477D-AEE1-D4D3CE115257.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 52

Thcvhunter

Veteran
More pics of 70’s Hawaiian

More pics of 70’s Hawaiian

Some more of the same three plants

Attachments

• 1870CBC5-3886-46DA-A79F-10BAF05C95B4.jpg
    1870CBC5-3886-46DA-A79F-10BAF05C95B4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 7A766181-F056-4D62-B0D0-79D84D5E79A7.jpg
    7A766181-F056-4D62-B0D0-79D84D5E79A7.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 3B3A616B-929D-4264-B61F-AA5DC3EA467E.jpg
    3B3A616B-929D-4264-B61F-AA5DC3EA467E.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2DA648C8-96F5-43AC-B213-45F5753946FF.jpg
    2DA648C8-96F5-43AC-B213-45F5753946FF.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 57

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
That sounds unique and delicious. Any idea what part of Africa it was from? I had swazi seeds years ago that I never got around to growing out from being swamped with too many seeds and health issues.

I don't know what part of Africa that strain came from. My buddy had been growing it for years, and it had acclimatized to the environment of the windward side. He had plants all over his back yard. One of his neighbors ripped his plants, coupled with the increasing threat from Operation Green Harvest, and he had to hide them deeper in his property. Ono buds brah....:good:

1664Haiku_Kookoo_b.JPG

Another thing I distinctly remember about this strain was, it had no "bottom" when you smoked it. Meaning, you really got "high" when smoking it all day long. It wouldn't burn you out. Amazing weed, a true sativa.

I use to smuggle it back with me when I returned back home, and would warn friends to go easy on it when I would share. Most of the time, my heeding was ignored, and they would fall on their ass from being too stoned. I still remember going to parties, sparking up a fat joint, and seeing dudes keel over and puke from already being drunk. The potency was over powering them.

At the time, weed with this level of THC was not common back home.

This is a pic of one of his patches of sativa. These were short season stunters. He called them donkey dicks.... :biggrin:

Long season plants from this strain grew massive. I lost my mind when (a) I first saw a 15 foot tall sativa plant for the first time and (b) when i first smoked some. Being a young impetuous haole boy from the main land, it was a different world for me.

Note how the top colas are weighing down the plants.... :yay:

Brings back many fond memories.

RMS

:smoweed:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was entrusted with old lines from the 60’s and 70’s after a group elected and vouched for me.

The breeder was part of the Brotherhood and bred up til ~’82 - a fortuitous coincidence

In Veg, the leaves were a glowing blue/green that caught my eye everytime - talk about a plant that talks to you; these spoke to my heart.

The male was the most Mexican thing my Mexi-lovers buddies have seen since Daddy Bush.
One female was sativa, the other female a hybrid that reminded me both of NL and OG Kush.

How have you guys not gone crazy for this post?,,

This post is epic

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hawaiian stuff is super interesting to me,,, it's like an isolated canna breeding island,, all the best from around the world put in a mixing pot,, halo halo,, that's Philippines language for MIX MIX

Thcvhunter

Veteran

This post is epic

Im not into hyping my stuff.
Too honest/modest I guess.

But I dont fuck around with genetics.
I was blessed to be nominated and entrusted with these old lines.

The same sourse gave me the old NL x Haze from NL Greg’s circle.
It uses pure NL, not the NL5xNL2 that Nevil got from Indian Jim.
And the haze is original California Haze, not the dutch haze.

Then there’s other packs that have just numbers...Haze43, #111, S.I.19.etc

More magic to be released

can you tell me about a (I think) hybrid called blue boy?
was 1983ish when I tried that a friend got some the name was told to him,he was visiting family on not sure which island.
I had a seed but never flowered it thuo ,was a vigorous bushy plant.
the buds dripped red resin very racy stuff but I was new to smoking.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
was 1983ish when I tried that a friend got some the name was told to him,he was visiting family on not sure which island.

No idea, man.

Really, the Islands are known for slapping all sorts of random names on the same stuff

And just because I was given old seeds to repro doesnt make me claivoyant to every Hawaiian ever made or renamed.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
70’s Hawaiian

70’s Hawaiian

Here’s the pics I have of the two females in veg showing that blue sheen

At this point in early veg, the plants smelled strongly like garlic / garlic bud

I made this next F-gen 2,300 ft up and the temps got up to 118°f with 14% humidity so the smells changed throught the lives of the plants.
High Mountain Desert of Napa/Sonoma California

Attachments

• 26439B0E-BF17-4AFA-9333-45F9EA8B9273.jpg
    26439B0E-BF17-4AFA-9333-45F9EA8B9273.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 7AEC0172-70B2-431A-BDCE-4E086EEC0784.jpg
    7AEC0172-70B2-431A-BDCE-4E086EEC0784.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 50

militia420

This post is epic

I'd love to add some different colors to what I grow. The blue green sounds cool. Any of the purple weeds look awesome but I've never grown one.

How does one sign up for the "passing on list" thing? :wave:

militia420

Im not into hyping my stuff.
Too honest/modest I guess.

But I dont fuck around with genetics.
I was blessed to be nominated and entrusted with these old lines.

The same sourse gave me the old NL x Haze from NL Greg’s circle.
It uses pure NL, not the NL5xNL2 that Nevil got from Indian Jim.
And the haze is original California Haze, not the dutch haze.

Then there’s other packs that have just numbers...Haze43, #111, S.I.19.etc

More magic to be released

How do you prefer to store these long term? I usually use the refrigerator over the freezer because I think I read you may lose some although the ones that do live, do for longest.

How do you keep the germination rates up the highest?

I wood

I've been trying to hunt down the old Dutch flowers hawaiian gear,,, seems like bhodi is the best source??

Problem is,, how the fuk do you find them in stock anywhere??,,, i think I might have found one place with chocolate trip

I’ve grown chocolate trip f2 from Bodhi several times now. Looks great smells great and has good buzz, but is prone to mold and buzz is very short lived. It was never anyone’s favorite. Still have either a half a pack or pack and a half left, not sure, I’ve given some away.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’ve grown chocolate trip f2 from Bodhi several times now. Looks great smells great and has good buzz, but is prone to mold and buzz is very short lived. It was never anyone’s favorite. Still have either a half a pack or pack and a half left, not sure, I’ve given some away.

I could well not be looking for chocolate trip,,, does anyone here remember hawaiian haze from Dutch flowers,, man it was epic

yeah it was a long shot but you were the only one I ever seen who used the name blue from back in that time period.
my friend has since passed so I am sorry about the lack of info
thx man

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was speaking to Katsu the other day about the old duch flowers chocolate trip and how good there thai/hawaiian was,, man he's had some epic shit in his time too

Thcvhunter

Veteran
How do you prefer to store these long term? I usually use the refrigerator over the freezer because I think I read you may lose some although the ones that do live, do for longest.

How do you keep the germination rates up the highest?

Freezing is a doible edge sword.
Freeze too quickly or if they thaw out without being used, germ rates plummet.

Stable humidity is paramount. As is stable temo.
After that, the numbers matter.
I’d rather have seeds for 20 years in a sealed container at stable temps (65°) than have them going back and forth between freezing and thawing.
Same with humidity.

I planted ~20 seeds to get 4 to make it to Veg.
So ~20% germ rate after a few decades.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I was speaking to Katsu the other day about the old duch flowers chocolate trip and how good there thai/hawaiian was,, man he's had some epic shit in his time too

Too bad Katsu wasnt into keeping males.

Bodhi’s Choc Trip is around.
Theres another Choc Trip I know from Montana. 49-52 days flower with a sativa buzz on indica frame. But I dont speak to that crew anymore.

W

Water-

I was getting some great blue herb when i was living on Oahu in the late 80's.

i was told it was coming from maui

i've always wondered if the blue dream wasnt actaully related to the blue hawaii strain that has floated around for so long and still is easy to find on kauai