What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Guerrilla irrigation thread: Automatic systems, selfwatering planters and more!

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Organic "teas" would be a bad idea, seeing as they would go anaerobic quickly. We only let our teas go for 48-72 hours, MAX before we dump em.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yes, I don't think teas would be agood idea in a timer based system or a self-watering planter.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Mr Celsius said:
You also need a 12v digital timer, but those are pretty cheap.

The cool thing about Wally's pump (I have one the same) is you can use a regular garden timer. When the timer valve shuts off, the pump senses it and shuts off until next watering time.

Hey guys, I also noticed some digital garden timers have rain sensors on them. Any thoughts on these?

Cannabinofil: Unfortunately it's too high up the slope for the pump to work. The creek is way down in a shady valley. I'm waiting on a regulator and then I hope to set up a true self-watering patch at a different location, using a solar panel and 12v pump.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
As soon as I plant my 2 main plots, I'll be setting up a couple irigation systems.

I also will be getting some self-watering planters built soon, those should be pretty simple.

acidfire

Hey guys!

I plan on building an inground res very similar to yours backcountry.
Except instead of an attachment for a pump, just have a piece of pvc with a cap to close it.

To fill it, have something similar to brwndrtwarriors off youtube...
Another piece of pvc with a 1/2" hole drilled in it stuck in a steam uphill from the plot.
Then whenever I need to top up the res, stick a 1/2" rubber hose in the hole, then stick the other end in the pvc of the res.
After im done, remove and coil up the hose, and throw the cap back on to prevent debris falling into the res.

I know it would take awhile to fill, but would beat hauling bucket after bucket since I cannot use a pump in this location.

Has anyone ever tried brwn's idea?
Thoughts?

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I've never designed a system that uses a pump, all are gravity fed.

I never saw a resivour in any of browndirts videos, I did see a 5 gallon bucket he used to collect water comming from the culvert, which he conected a hose to, and then he watered the plot with the hose.

acidfire

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I've never designed a system that uses a pump, all are gravity fed.

I could of sworn you made a thread about a year ago showing how you made an inground res but cant seem to find it now.

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I never saw a resivour in any of browndirts videos, I did see a 5 gallon bucket he used to collect water comming from the culvert, which he conected a hose to, and then he watered the plot with the hose.

Ya i know he didnt use a res.
Was just thinking of using his hose idea for watering his plants, to fill my res.

Do you happen to have a link to one of his videos?
Cant seem to find them.

Last edited:

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Seen one of those battery drill operated pumps yesterday...only $10.00. May pick one up and see how it functions.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
They work pretty good for small projects, but you can discharge a cordless driver fairly quick.

Mine can push water uphill pretty good, 40-50 feet in elevation seems pretty do-able.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
on a similar kind of thing, is there anyway to get my plants 12/12 outdoors, by some kind of automatic cover thing i could make?

guest3589

BC, what kind of drill and pump adapter are you using? 40' is impressive and sounds like it will work for my planned application.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I'm using a common Dewalt cordless driver, and a generic Drill pump that I picked up from Napa auto parts, but you can find them and many tool stores, they are often used by plumbers and pool maintenece people for draining tubs and such.

I wouldn't rely on them for moving alot of water, maybe 5-30 gallons at a time maybe, but I've never really tested them for moving volume.
I imagine I'd drain both my batteries pretty quick, and possibly put my driver at risk of overheating and damaging the motor if used often.

My drill pump was $10, but the cordless driver was nearly $200. For $100-150 you could buy a small 12volt pump and a 12volt battery, and get better preformance, although it would be bulkier, especially the battery.

Phish Dude

Mr Celsius said:
Organic "teas" would be a bad idea, seeing as they would go anaerobic quickly. We only let our teas go for 48-72 hours, MAX before we dump em.

okay this is off topic but do all teas go bad that quickly? i've had a fish emulsion tea out in the back for a month now is it bad?

guest3589

Thats some good information BC. It sounds like the drill/pump combo is best for priming lines rather than filling an empty reservoir, perfect for my application.

jackel

i posted a pic of my guerilla rez manifold in the gas powered pumps section.
this is a 4-50gal drum res that is filled with a pvc manifold connected to a gas powered pump, and at the bottom is another manifold system connecting all 4 barrels into 1 outlet (to mainline).
i didnt get a pic of the outlets, but it is 1/2inch flood n drain fittings. holesaw a hole near bottom thats the right size for the fittings. one on outside one on inside, screws together sealing it.
i found if running 1inch poly line from ur pump, 3/4inch pvc is just able to slip inside the 1inch line. one clamp and ur good to go. the pvc fills the drums equally. with my pump they all fill in about 5 mins.
heres a pic of my design. its easy to build. few elbows, a few T's, a stick or 2 of pvc and some pvc glue. done within 30 mins.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
rainwater

rainwater

Got our water harvesters set up for almost 2 months now,....just no rain!
over 600gal capy, MAYBE 375 gal. caught so far.
Hoping for more rain!!!
Best wishes to all,
SD

Tirs

This is going to be my first year using irrigation, mine is much simpler than the automated methods discussed here. I have a 12v pump designed to operate in turbid waters and powersport battery to run it. I have 500' of 1/2" line that I left behind and I plan on carrying in the battery and pump once a week to hand water plants from a stream. Maybe not the greatest system but this should save me a few hours every week.

Latest posts

Latest posts