What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California wildfires destroy cannabis crops

JohnM

Any outdoors farmers from California on the forum? … just wondering, how many fine outdoor cannabis crops have the wildfires destroyed in California over the last 6 months?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am also curious about this. And, if anyone lost their home or property.

The news here makes it sound like the entire state burned to the ground. But in Houston this year, when the hurricane came though, the news made it look like the whole state was flooded and devastated but my friends that lived there said the news kept showing the same few flooded streets over and over. My buddy in North Houston said they had some rain and strong wind. Nothing he hadn't seen in Ohio all his life. The news has to make it all look like death and destruction to get ratings.

So, how bad was it, really. From the horse's mouth. I hope not as bad as they want us to think.

JohnM

There is far more intentional "fake news" these days than accurate truthful news, you can bet on that. Visit the Clinton News Network or CNN for all the "fake news" you can stand.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The Napa Sonoma fires wiped out a fair number of Cannabis farms.

The Ventura Santa Barbara fires, threatened Oprah's home in Montecito & is currently at 280,000+ acres.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=34.45306777854089%2C-119.60639476776123&hl=en&z=12&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=1TOEFA857tOVxtewW1DH6neG1Sm0&output=embed

It looks like all the fires are South, closer to Santa Barabara and South. I thought the fertile area of Cali was way further North.

280,000 acres is still only 0.2% of the total land area in Cali. Not that it isn't a lot of land and trees but, like I said, in Ohio they are making us think the state of Cali is uninhabitable from fire.

MedResearcher

Veteran
The emerald triangle has fire season, every year. Every year the forest is on fire, if its not, someone will light a fire.

Sounds strange. Sadly it is the truth. There is a giant economy based on fighting forest fires, and harvesting the timber after the fire. Corporate greed of big money, all the way down to locals just wanting work. Its a giant machine.

The current fires in So Cal lately, are a big deal because they are ripping through rich areas that don't typically burn out of control. As well its the middle of the winter, not a typical fire season.

If I don't inhale forest fire smoke for more than thirty days in a year, I consider it a good fire year. We have had bulldozer lines cut directly around our garden by the USFS and Calfire.

Gardens do burn though. Think a well known breeder or two from Mendo this last year, lost crops to fire. Have a friend who is a wild land fire fighter, he told me he has had families ask them to save the crop before the house (which they aren't allowed to do).

Few years back was a bad year, lightning strike fires. Trinity Pines, which is densely populated with canna gardens was evacuated. A large Hmong community refused to leave. They built fire line with shovels and even their bare hands. Saved their own gardens, then proceeded to help save the neighbors. Most of the Pines was saved, the USFS/CalFire was going to let it burn.

Overall the fires do get some gardens. Not enough to even dent overall production though. There are gardens everywhere, all over California. Every year new gardens go up. You do see some empty ones now, that have been shut down. For every shut down garden I would guess there are 10 new ones. Its like whack a mole. Also its a giant economy as well. The politicians may talk like they want to shut it down, but none of them dare. Way to many jobs, to much money. If the black market was shut down in Cali it would probably cause a pretty huge recession.

Mr^^

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The emerald triangle has fire season, every year. Every year the forest is on fire, if its not, someone will light a fire.

Sounds strange. Sadly it is the truth. There is a giant economy based on fighting forest fires, and harvesting the timber after the fire. Corporate greed of big money, all the way down to locals just wanting work. Its a giant machine.

The current fires in So Cal lately, are a big deal because they are ripping through rich areas that don't typically burn out of control. As well its the middle of the winter, not a typical fire season.

If I don't inhale forest fire smoke for more than thirty days in a year, I consider it a good fire year. We have had bulldozer lines cut directly around our garden by the USFS and Calfire.

Gardens do burn though. Think a well known breeder or two from Mendo this last year, lost crops to fire. Have a friend who is a wild land fire fighter, he told me he has had families ask them to save the crop before the house (which they aren't allowed to do).

Few years back was a bad year, lightning strike fires. Trinity Pines, which is densely populated with canna gardens was evacuated. A large Hmong community refused to leave. They built fire line with shovels and even their bare hands. Saved their own gardens, then proceeded to help save the neighbors. Most of the Pines was saved, the USFS/CalFire was going to let it burn.

Overall the fires do get some gardens. Not enough to even dent overall production though. There are gardens everywhere, all over California. Every year new gardens go up. You do see some empty ones now, that have been shut down. For every shut down garden I would guess there are 10 new ones. Its like whack a mole. Also its a giant economy as well. The politicians may talk like they want to shut it down, but none of them dare. Way to many jobs, to much money. If the black market was shut down in Cali it would probably cause a pretty huge recession.

Mr^^

Thanks bud. Good post.

therevverend

Veteran
I got curious because a lot of people have been saying this is unnatural, never seen anything like this, etc. The media loves to report these sort of stories. I got curious because I remembered people saying the same thing over the last ten years. I decided to do some research. (wikipedia) I was surprised by what I read.
Many of the fires in California, especially in urban areas around Southern California, are a result of the Santa Ana winds. They happen in the cool months. Cold dry air accumulates at high altitudes along with high pressure in the mountains of the Great Basin. The low pressure along the Southern California coast causes the dry air to blow down the mountain passes through the valleys to the sea. This funneling process creates the perfect situation for fire.
Here's a couple long blurbs from wikipedia:

"The Santa Ana winds and the accompanying raging wildfires have been a part of the ecosystem of the Los Angeles Basin for over 5,000 years, dating back to the earliest habitation of the region by the Tongva and Tataviam peoples.[15]

The Santa Ana winds have been recognized and reported in English-language records as a weather phenomenon in Southern California since at least the mid-nineteenth century.[1] Various episodes of hot, dry winds have been described over this history as dust storms, hurricane-force winds, and violent north-easters, damaging houses and destroying fruit orchards. Newspaper archives have many photographs of regional damage dating back to the beginnings of news reporting in Los Angeles. When the Los Angeles Basin was primarily an agricultural region, the winds were feared particularly by farmers for their potential to destroy crops.[1]

The winds are also associated with some of the area's largest and deadliest wildfires, including the state's largest fire on record, the Cedar Fire, as well as the Laguna Fire, Old Fire, Esperanza Fire, Santiago Canyon Fire of 1889 and the Witch Creek Fire.

In October 2007, the winds fueled major wild fires and house burnings in Escondido, Malibu, Rainbow, San Marcos, Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Ramona, and in the major cities of San Bernardino, San Diego and Los Angeles. The Santa Ana winds were also a factor in the November 2008 California wildfires.

In early December 2011, the Santa Ana winds were the strongest yet recorded. An atmospheric set-up occurred that allowed the towns of Pasadena and Altadena in the San Gabriel Valley to get whipped by sustained winds at 97 mph (156 km/h), and gusts up to 167 mph (269 km/h).[16] The winds toppled thousands of trees, knocking out power for over a week. Schools were closed, and a "state of emergency" was declared. The winds grounded planes at LAX, destroyed homes, and were even strong enough to snap a concrete stop light from its foundation.[17] The winds also ripped through Mammoth Mountain and parts of Utah. Mammoth Mountain experienced a near-record wind gust of 175 mph (282 km/h), on December 1, 2011.[16]

In May 2014, the Santa Ana winds initiated the May 2014 San Diego County wildfires, approximately four months after the Colby Fire in northern Los Angeles County.

In December 2017 a complex of twenty-five Southern California wildfires were exacerbated by long-lasting and strong Santa Ana winds."

"In some parts of California, fires can sometimes recur in areas that have had past histories of fires. Examples of this are in Oakland, which fires of various size and ignition occurred in 1923, 1931, 1933, 1937, 1946, 1955, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1970, 1980, 1990, 1991, 1995, 2002, and 2008.[89][90] Other examples being Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and Los Angeles County. In the case of Orange and San Bernardino, these two counties share a county border that runs north to south through the Chino Hills State Park, with the park's landscape ranging from large green coastal sage scrub, grassland, and woodland, to areas of brown sparsely dense vegetation made drier by droughts or hot summers. The valley's grass and barren land can become easily susceptible to dry spells and drought, therefore making it a prime spot for brush fires and conflagration, many of which have occurred since 1914. Hills and canyons have seen brush or wildfires in 1914, the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and into today."

2007 was an especially bad year, the worst ones come in 5 to 10 year cycles. Usually 125,000 to 300,000 acres. In the same areas. Over and over. It's astounding why do people insist on building their fancy million dollar homes in these places? Why do insurance companies keep making payouts?
Every time the news media has a new reason, climate change, el nino, record drought, wrath of God. Ignoring that a lot of these fires are predictable and inevitable. Nobody has considered changing their lifestyle, the design of these neighborhoods and houses.

St. Phatty

The emerald triangle has fire season, every year.

There's plenty of controlled burns in the Emerald Triangle.

Every time someone lights a big spliff !

That's my kind of controlled burn.

I don't think there's many Cannabis crops in the Los Padres national forest (near Venture Santa Barbara). There's not a lot of trees, any large garden can be seen from the air.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Many of the fires in California, especially in urban areas around Southern California, are a result of the Santa Ana winds.
An often neglected fact. It’s covered by the media when the crews are battling the fires but you couple the Santa Ana winds with 5 years of drought and you have a prime situation for hard to control fires. It’s like acres and acres of vertical tinder just waiting for a spark.

JOJO420

Veteran
A ton of gardens perished in NorCal this year, literally tons.
Redwood valley and potter valley got burned out, millions of $$$ Og cannabis gone.
Santa Rosa got burned out, millions more there.
Not to mention the smoke damage all up and down the coast from fires as far away as BC Canada.
It was really bad this year in some cases, others not so much.

Latest posts

Latest posts