What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low Odor Outdoor Strains

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I notice that having animal skunks doing their skunk spray thing at your house on a regular basis tends to make your neighbors not notice the plant skunk smells.

Sometimes I have to trap other animals and I catch a skunk as often as anything.

So far I have probably caught and released about 20 skunks. 1 time, it did not spray. That time, I felt like reaching out and petting it.

But decided against it. :dance013:

I wear a welding mask and throw a tarp over the cage. And hold my breath. I try to be 100 feet from anywhere the skunk has been before I inhale.

Funny. lol
Last year I was bombing through the bush, and every time I passed a spot, I'd get a whiff of skunk. It was fall and the smell was pretty strong so one time I hit the breaks. Me and my passenger did a walk around looking for a grow. We didn't find any so I figured there was a skunk den somewhere near. A month later I found a Black plastic nute jug in a bog not far from there.

I'm getting a drone for next year. lol

Easy7

Veteran
Negative ions can permanently reduce plant odor. Most people wanna pop the container and share something wicked potent smell. But when growing it's a major hazard.

I have smelled carbon scrubbers walking the streets. Gives a yeast like fresh bread smell. Doubt they were baking bread everday for years. Even growing shrooms smells nice. Don't know if I can smell crime a mile a mile away, but sometimes.

therevverend

Veteran
In the Industrial District of a major city in a legal Rec state there is a major grow operation. It is next to an off ramp from the Interstate. I've driven past it several times in the past year. Each time I've driven by it's staggered me. Stank dank skunk like you'd never believe. I've been close to pulling over and smelling my way to the warehouse it's in. They must be killing it.
Driving around the smell has been incredibly strong from a few different roads within 3 or 4 large city blocks. Must be a huge operation, 10 million dollars maybe a warehouse loaded with plants and lights. From the smell the quality has to be good.
Smart of them to do it in an industrial area where the neighbors are unlikely to complain. I'd be a little worried about rip offs but with trip alarms in the city the cops would show up in five minutes or less. Something like that was unimaginable 20 years ago.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
In the Industrial District of a major city in a legal Rec state there is a major grow operation. It is next to an off ramp from the Interstate. I've driven past it several times in the past year. Each time I've driven by it's staggered me. Stank dank skunk like you'd never believe. I've been close to pulling over and smelling my way to the warehouse it's in. They must be killing it.
Driving around the smell has been incredibly strong from a few different roads within 3 or 4 large city blocks. Must be a huge operation, 10 million dollars maybe a warehouse loaded with plants and lights. From the smell the quality has to be good.
Smart of them to do it in an industrial area where the neighbors are unlikely to complain. I'd be a little worried about rip offs but with trip alarms in the city the cops would show up in five minutes or less. Something like that was unimaginable 20 years ago.

I drive by a big one here, and an even bigger one in Smiths Falls. Provincial and Federal Health boards are always on them for everything. If they stink one little bit, they're on them. We can't smell anything.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I've driven near some and you can smell it but no one seems to care that much, it's somewhat muted and in a business adjacent area.

igrowone

Veteran
i've had a few plants that ranked as low odor
and 1 that was odorless, PPP from nirvana
but from seed, it's gonna be crap shoot, some phenos will smell almost certainly
however, ruthless culling could be the trick, any that smell are yanked

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I had a Crop King Revolver that was nice smoke, but stank to high heaven. It was tiny and in the veg garden hidden behind tomato plants. If people came over for dinner on the deck, and the breeze was right, they'd always mention "A skunk nearby." Then when it was hanging in the shed, I had to tell the kids (20 year olds) to stay away from it because a skunk made a den in it. lol

bigAl25

Veteran
How about sticking a few autos between 4 to 6 tomato plants? The risk if you are in a screwed up state in the US may even make that a foolish grow. I'm thinking about it though. I have auto Nirvana bubblelicious and AK48 to try. Good luck.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Even before legalization, a Judge would probably chastise the cops and crown (prosecutor) for bringing charges for a couple plants and wasting the courts time. You'd get off with a fine and a warning.

"The 24 inch plant was with my tomatoes in my vegetable garden your honour."
"Really? How did your tomatoes do this year?"
"The cops pulled all 24 out your honour, so I didn't get any this year. They also broke my peppers and walked on my lettuce and through my strawberries."
Judge to cop "Why in the world would you do that?"
"$150 fine and promise you won't do it again."
"I promise your honour."
"Next"

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Even before legalization, a Judge would probably chastise the cops and crown (prosecutor) for bringing charges for a couple plants and wasting the courts time. You'd get off with a fine and a warning.

"The 24 inch plant was with my tomatoes in my vegetable garden your honour."
"Really? How did your tomatoes do this year?"
"The cops pulled all 24 out your honour, so I didn't get any this year. They also broke my peppers and walked on my lettuce and through my strawberries."
Judge to cop "Why in the world would you do that?"
"$150 fine and promise you won't do it again."
"I promise your honour."
"Next"

I really wish this was the case for most places but I can't see a judge being too lenient about just a plant or two, especially when the search warrant was signed by the judge and he/she doesn't want to loose face.

There are way too many situations that resulted in a warrant and raid over the misidentifying of other garden plants let alone a single pot plant. Here's an example of an elderly couple who got raided over their hibiscus plants being misidentified as pot by their insurance agent and being reported to police that ended in them being detained, as well as the destruction of their whole garden...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKggopuLrCI

I'm sure if any pot had been in there it would have been a very different outcome. If you watch the video you can really tell that this old couple had long thought that the police were always right and that if they came a knockin' at your door than it must be your own fault, until it happened to them.

Without getting into the specifics of what legalization is/should be, I think it is important to keep in mind that there are places where police have the authority to kick in your door over one pot plant (or a misidentified one) and places that they don't. This situation and the many like it are proof that policing over a plant is fucking insane.

I personally would never try to grow pot in my own yard because you can't make an argument against it being there. I've grown very close to where people pass by and no one has ever found it. I think the trick is to not grow too big or many. Instead of worrying about smell (since most will stink anyway) try to pick a strain hardy to your climate and growing conditions so you have to make few trips in to care for it and possibly draw attention. Also, always go in with a cover story and evidence to back it up. Stay safe.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Every time you see somebody warn them to watch out for a skunk.

There's one around out back and she's in a spraying mood. :biggrin:

Haha! Reminds me of the time when I was younger and I was smoking out behind my house. My neighbor must have smelled it and I could hear him saying something to his wife about needing to call pest control cause that damn skunk is back under his shed lol. Am I the only one who thinks that skunk odor (not the close up burnt rubber kind) smells good? You know you're a pothead when you find catching a wiff of an otherwise unpleasant pest enjoyable.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Every time you see somebody warn them to watch out for a skunk.

There's one around out back and she's in a spraying mood. :biggrin:

Better yet, get this remote control skunk. LOLZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhlDWHcu1I

That's funny. lol

This gives me an awesome idea. There are LOTS of skunks in my area. I'll get the wife to sew up a few fake fur pelts. I'll put them on the trails near my grow when they start smelling and move them around a bit. It should force people to make a detour. lol

I find myself talking up Nirvana Papaya a lot...not because it’s blow you away weed, but it was my first strain and she’s never done me wrong.

I chose it years and years ago because indoor odor was my main concern. Not that it doesn’t stink at all, it just doesn’t have the typical skunk smell people associate with weed. More BO, funkiness during flower and sweet candy once you brush past it.

Had bad luck with her OD last season but was definitely due to grower error

Latest posts

Latest posts