What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low Odor Outdoor Strains

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey guys,

This has probably been asked before, but any recommendations on low odor outdoor strains for a somewhat northern climate? (Think ballpark of around 40-41 lat, high humidity and plenty of rain)

One of the possible plots I have in mind is pretty great for a few plants other than the fact that there will likely, at some point, be somebody cutting grass at a distance of about 30 yards away at the closest. Too close to risk, or are there strains that you guys think would be up to the task?

Thanks

Wolfshadoe

That's pretty damn close.. Anybody would smell it with the wind just right..Even in veg state..Sorry.Wished I could help with better idea..Good Luck!! <ws>

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
90 feet away?!?

Only way you're gonna pull that off is if you volunteer to cut that grass all summer...:biggrin:

Koondense

Veteran
I have great experience and results with La Buena Hierba semi-autos.
They grow nicely and not too tall, have great outdoor resistence and on average low smell in flowering. They're bred outdoors so they're probably the best choice for your situation. To get seeds you need to send a PM to LaBuenaHierba.

Cheers

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
White Rhino, Kush, maybe Northern Light. Have a LOT of BBQ's or a fire pit!
Cut the grass like Bud says....good luck!
Grow only 1-2 plants.

Easy7

Veteran
Always the risk someone could smell and hunt for low odor. Recent rain or been awhile since rain, maked all the plants stink.

Are you sure this is a good spot? They could decide to brush hog there. That's why I like public land. Private land is unstable.

therevverend

Veteran
I've had plants 30 yards from roads, lawn mowers, etc. and they usually escaped notice. It's hard for me to imagine many places where people won't be 30 yards away at some point during the 8 months of a cannabis plant's life. Unless you own several acres of property in the middle of nowhere.
Being able to smell them is one thing, find them is another. When weighing the risk things like legality, accessibility, plant numbers, come into play. If the most likely risk is getting the plants ripped or a fine that's one thing, if it's a felony and a few years in prison that's another. Whether you can grow in a safer place, how badly you need the ganja, lots of factors to consider.
Personally I'd go for it if it's just a few plants. Grass cutting creates all sorts of smells that mix with the ganja. Makes it hard to pin down that it's ganja and makes it hard to figure out what direction the plants are. Late afternoon after a long hot summer day is the worst time for smell. Especially if it's muggy without much wind the smell can saturate an area. Easy to detect but hard to find.

M

moose eater

I like Bud's reply;^>) Thinking on his feet, and doing good turns to improve karma. A win:win. ;^>)

That said, I recently killed a Barney's Farm LSD plant. Used to wonder if in her name they were advertising her psychedelic properties, or the fact that real LSD is tasteless and odorless. To some degree she qualified for both angles. She had respectable potency and moderate to medium high productivity.

Don't know how well she'd do outside, but I see no reason she couldn't excel if given the right conditions and proper reduction in lighting in time.

A friend grew some Royal Queen Power Flower outdoors in Alaska last summer or the summer before (*the fact that I can't remember which may be a de facto testament to quality?).

More of an Indica, medicinal properties, potent, also lower stench, and moderately productive. Had some head high to her too, but definitely in the indica family.

Those are the two least pungent plants I can immediately recall, but neither of them was an auto-flowering critter (though I can't swear they're not now available as such), so if that's what you're seeking, then......

Good luck,

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.. ;^>)

Jhhnn

Veteran
A friend had a very nice harvest from Nirvana's Northern Light fem. Very low odor thru flower. Not skunky. Cured out with a sweet star anise aroma. Solid indica stone, nothing spectacular. Here in Denver it was done Oct 1-

picture.php

Easy7

Veteran
Guess it's a problem of seed and who holds low odor cuts. Low odor cuts sound like a Canadian thing with the smuggling, low odor can be a plus with that.

Seed is just too unpredictable at this time.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Low odor is an asset for all outdoor growers. If the cops & the rippers can smell it, it's not stealthy. It's not a bad thing for indoor growers, either, because it's easier on filters.

Yeh, sure, we all love fragrant weed but discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to bringing in an outdoor crop.

Easy7

Veteran
I am in a low odor sitatuon myself right now. In the city and far from weed tolerant people.

Tough call. I've grown crappy bagseed that grew into STINKY female plants with almost no effort. Just used a regular lightbulb & soil from outside in the yard (but eventually threw them away at my roomie's request). Was shocked how strongly they smelled though. Hell, I even have some hemp buds with no THC that smell up the whole room.

I assume shorter plants will be more stealthy, both because they finish earlier, don't tower over everything & put off their stench in a smaller area. So that would mean no lumbering Sativas probably. Either an indica/hybrid or an autoflower that doesn't get very tall & finishes fast would probably be your best bet. Not that they won't stink too...they'll just be smaller & easier to manage.

Planting other smelly plants to offset the weed smell is another option if you're worried about nosy neighbors (or neighbors' noses). A good rosemary bush can be smelled from a block away.

Easy7

Veteran
Even low odor is pretty stink with a clean nose. Just break open the trichs and smell that oil spill.

What I am saying though is seed is too unstable to honestly say it's not going to be stinky. Smell is almost always an issue.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Northern Lights or rather MNS Ortega, has been the lightest smelling plants I’ve ever experienced.

Easy7

Veteran
Ya NL cam be low odor but there are so many offshoots of nl. It's been inbred in more directions than any other strain on Earth.

St. Phatty

This year a Bay Dream cross was low odor, for me.

It's an old GDP seeds strain, maybe no longer sold, with a Playdough ish smell among others.

Without the heavy skunky lime that a lot of strains have.

I've seen industrial ozone generators, normally sold for smelly places like sewage plants, in operation. The one I looked at was $1500 some years ago. Really gave the room a "just rained" smell.

O3 is highly reactive, you don't want to breathe it too long. It's sort of like a "PacMan" molecule. Eats up the skunk odor molecules.

It would be entertaining to see an ICMag member safely Macgyver the equivalent, using a Neon transformer and a strong blower fan.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Don't even think Crop King's Revolver. The 12" plant had every visitor here looking for a skunk. lol
Crop King's NL Auto is great for low Odor (very little smell from 3 feet away). I haven't tried their Photoperiod so I don't know about that one.

But I did find a perfect strain with ZERO smell. It only starts smelling after harvest and while curing. I'm planting 200 of these girls 50 feet from the road and 400 feet from houses in a great little hidden bush den.

4-6 feet
4.5 out of 5 potency
1-4 lbs
October finishing but good frost resistance.

Seeds: https://drgreenthumb.com/cannabis_seeds_GreenthumbSeedsEntrance.htm

Journal: https://forums.mainemedmarijuana.com/index.php?showtopic=7181

St. Phatty

I notice that having animal skunks doing their skunk spray thing at your house on a regular basis tends to make your neighbors not notice the plant skunk smells.

Sometimes I have to trap other animals and I catch a skunk as often as anything.

So far I have probably caught and released about 20 skunks. 1 time, it did not spray. That time, I felt like reaching out and petting it.

But decided against it. :dance013:

I wear a welding mask and throw a tarp over the cage. And hold my breath. I try to be 100 feet from anywhere the skunk has been before I inhale.