What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thirds PPK

Thirdtime

Lemon Skunk at 56ish days

Attachments

• 20180106_lemon3.jpg
    20180106_lemon3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 13

Thirdtime

Thanks it should be coming down soon, haven't see any white pistols on top in over a week. Think its at 9 weeks
I actually have questions about when to harvest. Now generally I have heard 10-20% amber trichomes. My hands aren't steady enough to look on the plant I have to cut a bud and lay it down where I can brace my hand.
1) Do you check trichomes top middle or bottom of plant? Does light affect the change in color of tris?
2) can it still be producing white pistols and be ready to harvest?

Thirdtime

TKO
TKO in rear ghost OG in foreground
Ghost OG

Attachments

• 20180113_tko1.jpg
    20180113_tko1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180113_tko2.jpg
    20180113_tko2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180113_ghost.jpg
    20180113_ghost.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 15

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Thanks it should be coming down soon, haven't see any white pistols on top in over a week. Think its at 9 weeks
I actually have questions about when to harvest. Now generally I have heard 10-20% amber trichomes. My hands aren't steady enough to look on the plant I have to cut a bud and lay it down where I can brace my hand.
1) Do you check trichomes top middle or bottom of plant? Does light affect the change in color of tris?
2) can it still be producing white pistols and be ready to harvest?

1. You make a decision based on an amalgam of buds from each plant. If you can look over any 5 buds (for example) and you're satisfied- then that's it. Top, middle, bottom- no matter. 3 buds; every stalk; 1 random bud- prenylation and transpiration happen fairly uniformly depending on light penetration.

2. It can but more than likely your tops and prime nugs will sheath the pistils almost entirely when you're ready to harvest. Smaller/larf nugs often still show pistils. There is a pecking order in that regard.

So these two ideas are a little counter-intuitive but one has to do with the physical fruit and sheathing of reproductive elements, the other takes place throughout the roots/xylem and metabolic pathways. Both use hormones and respond to light/negative pressure in slightly different ways. Also, these can vary from strain to strain- some produce better flavor/potency with a few less inches of light, some will take everything you can throw at them and more.

Great stuff so far. Based on what happened with that dud pump, the PPK has proved once again an awesome advantage.

Next time you harvest, will you take a pic of your roots? What all do you put into your mix up top and in the stem?

Last edited:

Thirdtime

Thanks for the feedback/info. Still have quite a bit to learn. Guess I am just anxious to harvest and what I am told are 8 week strains seem to be really 10+. Or maybe they are counting from first flowers instead of flip.
Does flushing affect the change in trichs?

The 4 gallon pots are flexible and can see lots of roots around the edge. The roots seem to develop more since I lowered the veg watering time. But I will take some pics on next harvest.
PPK definitely has many advantages.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Yeah waiting for harvest can get you kinda antsy, huh? haha When you see people on the boards asking for grow reports on strains, they're trying like you to figure out what was best. If a seed bank or a breeder doesn't provide the ideal flowering time or if grow reports are lacking, people are hesitant to purchase. Even with those recommendations, you may find you get a better flavor or relaxing high by letting them go longer/shorter. A good cure can move the needle a bit, too. When you grow the same stuff over and over- you calibrate and calibrate again.

The flushing probably has more to do with the bud than the trichs. Cleaner burning and whatnot. Also a preference... I only flush 2-3 times over the last week and things come out just fine. Some swear by flushing for two weeks straight.

Start of flower is within a day or two of flipping to 12/12. You have about a 48-72 hr window when you could throw it back into veg and not see anything funky. I count it as soon as you put it into 12/12, not when bud sites appear.

Thirdtime

Ya a little antsy. Kinda 3rd run on HG and Sam if you count reject clones as 2nd. Think I went 73 on HG and Sam 2nd run. May go a few longer on HG but I think 73 was good for Sam. Much as I need the space I will wait it out.

Thirdtime

The sample bud I cut yesterday had 10% or so amber off the HG and today when I looked it had turned to about 60% amber so started chopping. Only got about a third of it done so will finish in the am.
I guess the stank attracted a guest who refuses to leave.

Attachments

• chop.jpg
    chop.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 8
  • hum.jpg
    hum.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10

~star~crash~

hey third have you heard the expression

"when in doubt ... wait a week?" >> it works for me often when i'm questioning the harvest

your crop looks good ...peace

Thirdtime

Yeah I prob could have waited, but I am basing it off of the one that went 74 days now cured and tested and was more body high than head. This is at 72, looking for the perfect timing. I think the fam liked it better at 68. I need to do a run of smaller plants so they can do a side by side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts