What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Every team is undefeated before the season starts; every rookie who puts up stats vs other rookies and undrafted guys during preseason games is a future hall of famer and multiple super bowl winner.
And then the season starts and your team starts out 1-4 or 0-5 and you're like 'ah crap'.

Vikings offense should probably be better this season, they have dalvin cook at RB who i think will put up better numbers than fournette in jacksonville. Is their offensive line improved though? Cant be any worse than seattle's, who just lost their starting LT yesterday...

Packers D was messed up by injuries last year, think their 4 top cornerbacks ended up on injured reserve during the season. If they have better health they should be ok, although to get back to the superbowl i think they need a top 10 or 12 defense. Rodgers cant do it all by himself y'know.

Pop is your new team the rams? Or the dolphins?
Maybe if the chargers are doing well this year you can go back to them. It's like that one chargers fan who got a free tattoo from a team promotion said: if your wife cheats on you, you cant take it out on the kids. So long as you're a fan of Rivers, and Bosa and the Melvins and Keenan, maybe you can watch them without hating on them.

Bears 1st string defense is looking all right, if any of those guys go down the depth will be an issue.
Glennon throwing into crowds of defenders and staring down receivers; it's deja vu (cutler) all over again...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thats one of the things i like so much about the preseason,baba
how each team could be a contender and all the young players have potential
i esp like watching the 2nd half of the games, where they pull starters and give the guys trying to make the team a chance to get out on the field
you never know who is going to impress
even us seasoned football fans are surprised from time to time

i dont really have a team right now
its cool that they are showing rams preseason games here in san diego and i hope to see some teams i would not normally see
for the time being im happy to just enjoy the game and watch football
i will be watching a lot of chargers games once the regular season starts butthere is no way that im going to be bandwagoning on the chargers this year
even if they went 16-0 i am still not a fan of the team,(more likely 7-9)

its going to be weird not really following a team
but no matter what i will always be a fan of the sport

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Most of the ones with potential playing in the second half of preseason games are the draft picks; the rest of those guys are 3rd stringers or are going to be cut when rosters go from 80+ players to 54 players (or whatever final roster sizes are).
And you have to temper expectations until you see the ones with potential actually make plays against 1st stringers. It's all well and good to complete long passes against defensive backs who are going to be on the street in a week or two; try doing it against a good 1st team defense like the Broncos or Seattle.
I'm just saying this because Mitch Trubisky is getting a lot of hype for looking better than glennon has during preseason, but glennon is going against 1st team defenses and trubisky is playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

The chargers have a new coach as well, so that will be interesting to see how well they play under him. I think when he took over the bill's offensive playcalling last year they did a lot better, so maybe they can just outscore people this year even if the defense doesn't play great.

I can sympathize with you not following a team. The bears have had the worst record in the NFC over the last 3 years so it's been tough following them; I probably watch other teams more than the Bears - mostly the prime time games (MNF, SNF, TNF).
I expect things will only be marginally better this season, maybe 5-11. But if some of the young players look like future stars, that will give me more of a reason to watch, even if they're not winning games...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i try not too put too much stock in preseason performance
the starters are only playing so hard and like baba' said, lots of people who would not make the cut during the regular season
i think its a good introduction to the nfl for a rookie qb to play against the second teamers, but nothing can simulate real play once the season begins

yeah lynn is supposed to be very run orriented and i wonder how this is going to effect melvin gordons stock as a fantasy player
i think he will have an even better season this year under the new coach
otherwise i see the chargers struggling in a tough division

i am with you man
ive sat through a lot of bad football with the chargers
even when you werent winning, you find bright spots in the darkness
this goes back decades and you sort of see who the real fans are after a few years of loosing
i would have never thought about rooting for another team while the chargers were in san diego, but here we are
i cant wait for football!!

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah,Glennon looked liked Cutler saturday.we shouldnt have won that game.but i didnt think they were gonna win anyway.i dont think were gonna beat the Titans.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
was talking to a friend at work today and the titans name came up more than once
i think the rams and the titans are going to be much improved in the up coming season
maybe the rams more than the titans nut i think the afc south is wide open this year

shithawk420

Veteran
Bears play titans next game so we'll see.Glennon scares the hell out of me.like Cutler all over again.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Titans went 9-7 last year, almost made the playoffs. They added Eric Decker and Corey Davis as receivers. Theyre a popular pick for double digit wins this year.

Not sure about the rams being much improved, but Goff should be better (couldnt really be any worse) and if watkins stays healthy, gurley bounces back, they could win a few more games, sure. I think their defense was pretty decent last year, and they have wade phillips as their coordinator now, so that area should be pretty solid this season.

Glennon is playing so poorly makes me think we should have kept cutler for 1 more season, it's that bad. But whatever, if he sucks early then we'll get to see what trubisky can do.
Some analyst compared trubisky's preseason performance to blake bortle's his rookie year. Scary.

Pop and Hawk, you play fantasy football at all? I'm wondering what will happen with Ezekiel elliott's suspension appeal. I'm thinking it will be reduced to 2-4 games...

shithawk420

Veteran
I've been meaning to get into fantasy footballjust don't have much time.my sister does pretty good though

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
"... Goff should be better (couldnt really be any worse) and if watkins stays healthy, gurley bounces back, they could win a few more games, sure. I think their defense was pretty decent last year, and they have wade phillips as their coordinator now, so that area should be pretty solid this season."

this all the way,baba'
i dont see goff becoming some great qb, but with more pieces around him the offence should put up more points
the D was solid and they look like a team that will improve on last year
/also a big fan of wade phillips

i dont play fantasy football either
its something ive been interested in but i havent pulled that trigger
i wonder how the suspension will effect elliots value, even a four game suspension will mean he misses about a 1/4 of the season
/better than his current 6 game suspension

10 wins gets you the afc south
bortles looks like he is all but done in jacksonville and we will see how the colts play this season
i tihnk the division is wide open

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The upside, or maybe downside, of getting into fantasy football is that you start following teams/players other than your favorites. So i've started gaining an appreciation for other teams players, at the expense of following the bears.
If you join a league where waivers dont take place until tuesday or wednesday (after Monday night football) then the time commitment might not be so bad, maybe spend 15 mins - 1 hr a week on your waiver wire (picking up free agents - players not owned by any team in your fantasy league - that look like theyre going to be starters because of injury, etc) and setting lineups (bye week replacements, etc). That's probably the minimum you could do and still have a chance to compete. There's so many sites out there with advice on who to pick up and who to drop and who to start that with a little internet research you could still be competitive with the players who spend hours every week reading and thinking about their lineups.

Even if the rams are better they're still looking at 3rd in their division behind seattle and 'zona. And the niners should improve on their 2 win season from last year, maybe they won't be better than the rams but anything is possible.
Maybe i'm just down on the rams because when i think of a good/great rams team i think of their greatest show on turf days, with warner, faulk, bruce and holt.
The only rams game i saw last year was their london game against the giants, and both teams struggled to score points. I think the rams were starting case keenum then, who wasn't good, but their offense got worse when they started goff. But it's a new year, they have a new coaching staff after finally getting rid of jeff (7-9) fisher, so maybe goff will show everyone what he can do. But honestly I think Goff was a reach at #1 overall in last year's draft, more than trubisky at #2 this year. I guess the rams wanted to make a bold move last year since it was their first year in LA, but goff did not look like the second coming of peyton manning or cam newton.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
do you play in multiple leagues baba'?
how do they work as far as building your roster goes?
/do you draft at the beginning of the season/ is their a cap or spending facet?
just curious about the game and you seem to know your way around

i agree 100% that goff was not a good pick at #1
i think they wanted him to become the face of the franchise and stir up some hype in their new home town
this team is far away from the great rams teams of the past and i think that they are a few years off from the playoffs at best

get to see the chargers and rams play tonight and it looks like there is a full plate of preseason action on the tv tomorrow
i am ready for football!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I play in a couple of leagues, some people play in a lot more than that (dozen or more). I think when daily fantasy (draftkings, fanduel) was big the big fish would have hundreds or thousands of teams at a time, but they used scripts or bots (software) to manage that.
My leagues are re-draft (no dynasty, no keeping players from previous years) snake draft leagues (first round is 1st pick to last pick, 2nd round the guy who picked last in the 1st round goes first, guy who picked first in the first round goes last, etc). I've heard auction leagues can be fun, that way everyone gets a chance to draft every player, just depends on how much you want to spend.
My leagues usually draft just before the regular season starts, that way you can avoid all the injuries to key guys (edelman, ware, etc) that happens during preseason.
Maybe Goff will develop into a franchise QB, there's still time on him, but I feel that every highly regarded QB coming out of Cal is compared to Aaron Rodgers, which makes about as much sense as every 6th round QB being compared to tom brady. Like, stop, please stop...

It's looking like you'll have more fun watching chargers games than rams game this season.

The bears projected #1 WR, Cam Meredith (undrafted former college QB) apparently wrecked his knee yesterday. So, an already thin WR corps looks to get even worse. Maybe former giants Victor cruz and reuben randle will make the team after all...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Got my draft done. Was going to join everybody else for the live draft on Saturday morning, but I spaced and forgot about it. By the time I remembered, the draft was over, lol. Still didn't do too bad, but I'm gonna need a couple more running backs...Spencer Ware is probably done for the season, so I'm hoping to pick up Demarco Murray off of waivers. Also, the auto draft gave me two defenses that have the same bye week, which makes it extra stupid.

Here's my squad as drafted last Saturday:

Aaron Rodgers
AJ Green
Sammy Watkins
Jordy Nelson
Ty Montgomery
Spencer Ware
Rob Gronkowski
Larry Fitzgerald

Bench:
Cam Newton
Frank Gore
Terrance West
Adam Theilen
CJ Fiedorowicz

Kicker:
Justin Tucker

Defense:
Minnesota
Pittsburgh

HB.

MrBungle

Not a bad line up hopefully AJ Green will return to his consistent monster fantasy numbers this year... Last season was tough for him without Hue Jackson's high powered offense

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
In what league is demarco murray available on waivers after the draft? He's a top 10 or 12 RB, even in a 6 team league he should have been drafted...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thanks baba'
always like to learn about new things
yes, we will see where goffs career goes
he looked like he got shook really easily against the san diego (derp, im leaving that there) D this weekend and once they got in his head he was done
/he did play well the previous week against OAK

so how does your league work hemphrey bogart
do you pick:
1-QB
1-RB
2WR
1-TE
1-K
1-DE
and maybe a wild card to play each weekend?
/looks like you have some solid receivers there

im just going to go where the action takes me this year, brother
but i will say F-spanos and meh to the COCs

Space Toker

Veteran
I could have sworn I posted here, don't see it now and don't think it was deleted.... The preseason is one thing, injuries another, and what will unfold still another... The Patriots can adapt to anything and the loss of one guy and a shaky preseason using mostly players that will see little regular season time or be cut doesn't dampen my spirits more than a few percent... The Patriots are a potent force that should dominate and I look forward to another great season with little doubt... Go Patriots!!!!

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
In what league is demarco murray available on waivers after the draft? He's a top 10 or 12 RB, even in a 6 team league he should have been drafted...

Sorry, Booey. My mistake! I meant to type Darren McFadden, not Demarco Murray. Not a great pick up...(there wasn't much left to pick from) but Ware's season is pretty much done and I'll take what I can get at this point.

Heya pop rocks, that's pretty much it, but we get 3 WRs, two RBs, and a flex (either wr or rb) that we can play each week.

HB.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Losing Edelman was a tough blow but the Pats have like 6-7 playmakers on their offense that brady can get the ball to so i doubt they lose much scoring potential, if at all.
What are you thinking Toker, 19-0 this year? Or 18-1? With the one loss coming in ... week 17?

McFadden makes more sense than Murray, I can see how you mixed them up (especially since demarco was the cowboys RB a couple years ago). Still, with ezekiel suspended for the first 6 games (pending appeal), you'd think at least whoever drafted ezekiel in your league would have picked up mcfadden as well. But their loss is your gain.
RB may be the weak link in your team, unless Terrence west or montgomery break out you dont appear to have a top 5 or 10 RB on your roster.

Goff was uneven against the chargers, had some throws he wishes he could take back. But it's a process, he's not going to become a good to great qb during one training camp. You just have to hope that he starts off the season at least serviceable, and then shows improvement from there.