What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OVERGROW THE JUNGLE!!!! 2016

Totally alright man, I think everyone here understands where I am at with it. Not the first time I grow, but :) And I had some personal issues, was gone for awhile, that really messed it up. Next time I am staying on deck like pirate.

I love new posters chiming in (not the most popular thread) encouraging me cause I am seriously burning out already, not fun at all.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Btw. the bottom half was not harvested now, but it was ripped (by me) earlier as it was so fucked by cats and seeds.

Now... it's Nov 4 and I don't have a single bud with amber trichs. Including a few Cookies buds that are left... Pretty strange?

And the latest blow... ALL bud doesn't taste too good... It dries out to brown, the purps turn black... The only two reasons for that could be the epsom salts that I sprayed and the fert that I used was some sort of slow release shit even though it was meant for dripping irrigation. ?

So that said, I decided to leave them for a few more days, despite mold, frost and hunters. The weather's alright, I might even go for two more weeks...

Yesterday I continued cleaning up mold and dead fans, including entire plants that seemed OK, but in fact the entire thing was done already... Pff... I'd be happy if I pull 5 kilos of dank shit. There's gonna be a lot of brownies baked :)

The weather's warmer and the temperature where I dry has went to 19-20 C / 68 F and the RH has went down to 50% (while I was away). Two days from cutting, 30 hours of drying and it's pretty dry :D At least this time the colour is not brown hahah.

So 16-17 C / 62 F and 55% RH seems to be what I need, kind of tricky to achieve, cause the outside and temps keep on changing of course. It seems it will require some serious babysitting.

No, I'd have to have a much bigger set of balls to do this there :D

But sometimes moving there is on my mind... I haven't looked into it that much, could you even get licensed and all if you're not a citizen, but hold a green card, any idea?

therevverend

Veteran
Checked up on relative humidity for mold. Has to be below 60% to start killing it. 30%-50% is ideal. Of course no moisture means no mold but try to keep the RH low as possible.
Most states you need to be a resident for 3 years to get a Rec card plus have a ton of money. Medical states you need a medical ailment and to be a resident. Sure you'd get one with a green card. There's limits to how many you can grow, probably 5-15.
It sounds cool to live here and grow legal but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Unless you have $$ it can be difficult.
The pictures above look ripe, almost overripe. You can tell because it's stopped puting out white hairs, the caylxes are completely swollen, and there are spider mite scars all the way to the edge of where the crystals start on the leaves.
I never wait for trichomes to turn amber, the buds will turn to mush long before that happens. I go by whether they're still putting out lots of white hairs and whether the caylxes are swollen. If there are still some immature calyxes and it's throwing out lots of white hairs I'll wait. Don't go by the tops of the colas look at the lower limbs. Many times the tops will be throwing out a few white hairs but the rest of the branch will be finished.
I've been paying close attention to senescence the last couple years because of my cool moist autumns. When the fan leaves die and turn yellow, red, or purple, the plant starts losing vigor, the seeds set or the calyxes swell. The plant loses resistance to mold and pests, some of the branches will develop mold and the limbs will wilt and die.
Some plants stay greener longer, have a 'youthful' gene. Others lose it very quickly, start turning yellow. It's separate from how close the flowers are finished, some will be finished and have not entered senescence. I watch for the symptoms and harvest the senescent ones first.
But the turning black and brown as they dry, and harsh taste, it's not epsom salts and probably not the fertilizer. I think it's too much cold and wet weather after it had reached senescence. The cells of the plant are barely held together, as soon as the moisture is removed they collapse. Changes the pigment and the taste. I was worried about the near frost because of this, not that it would kill them. They'll keep growing, but the quality will degrade. However in some places, Afghanistan and such, they'll purposely weather the plants because it makes thrashing for hash easier as the resin comes off easier. Wouldn't recommend it.
Next year you need to plan on harvesting earlier. Your strains are too late for your latitude. I was out of the ground on October 12. Plan on growing strains that are done by Oct 15 unless they're something that you really like. Plan on growing some that finish in late September to first week of October.
Knowing the right time to harvest for your area is critical, keep a notebook. Note when you start your seeds, when they enter flowering and sex, and when they mature and harvest. Watch the surrounding vegetation, when the native plants drop their leaves and die or enter their winter hibernation. Right now your plants stand out because all the vegetation around them has died back.
When I grew guerrilla I learned when the environment told me to harvest, as opposed to my ideal of when I wanted to harvest. Of course there's nothing worse then white haired, immature scruff buds. It's so hard, a tricky balance.
You already know this stuff, but you should plan drying better. For the conditions you've done an amazing job. But to get real high quality buds you need a much better drying setup. In Robert Connell Clarke's book Marijuana Botany (buy it) he said more good pot is ruined after harvest then any other way. He's exactly right. Keeping all this to yourself is the best policy but I'd consider getting a helper next year for trimming and drying. Too much work for one person. Plus you won't have to rely on your trim machine (I don't like) as heavily.
Helped a guy grow a plant this year. My share I carefully hung, dried, and trimmed. Came out perfect. His, he stuffed in a bag, carried it around in his pocket, sat on it, squished and manhandled it. When I showed him my sample he didn't recognize it as being his. I had him get his sample and compared the two. His smelled like alfalfa packed in dirty socks. I think he learned his lesson.

Words of wisdom.

My battery is almost flat, I just skimmed through your post. But I was just wondering what's the plan for today.
I will continue harvesting.

_

Aand it started to drizzle as I was on my way out, hehe.

_

It will drizzle until noon and then it will be sunny and it will be quite windy the entire day. I will trim leaves off and I will chop the branches in the late afternoon, bag them and trim tonight. If they are still wet, I might have to wait....

Last edited:
Done trimming and washing :woohoo: Washed around 50 liters of moldy flowers.
A few hours of sleep and another long day... Gotta wake up early (as always) so I move in the dark to avoid being seen. Whew.

Latest posts

Latest posts