What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Talk is cheap, life is short

grow nerd

Veteran
I did that a few times in real life and never really fared that well, so I thought I better not try it on plants.

COconnect

I prefer to smack the ugly ones around and talk ditty to em

Agreed. Sometimes, them froggy ladies get to eyeballin me.. Sometimes they get the boot treatment... not the pvc whip treatment however, LOL.

just poking fun brother! You didn't want them anyways! :laughing:

grow nerd

Veteran
COconnect, it wouldn't have hurt to have an extra ounce or two, but yeah they weren't gonna do much for me anyways.

~~~

Ever hear anyone say "measure twice, cut once"? You know the way that I like to do it:

The way I did it: measure once, and cut/glue/screw as many times as necessary to make it work. Sigh.

Order of operations is important! The right way: clear trees, move dirt. The way I did it: move dirt, clear trees, cuss, move more dirt, take pics of fuckup, post about it on IC.

So from now, I'm just gonna keep it simple, stop trying to get "tricky", and just follow directions. Starting with my gourmet, complete dinner:

Just doing as I'm told. No more fancy business. If they say Tomato & Basil is best for me, then Tomato & Basil is what I'm having.

In other news, I requested a soil sample from North County Bounty and expected a sandwich bag to check out the texture and ingredients. They sent me an entire 1.5 cu ft bag and a T-shirt. So here's another plug.

Got some deer & rabbit repellent, too. Ingredient list contains putrified egg solids & garlic. Mmmmm...

Last edited:

grow nerd

Veteran
Tried making my own smart pot using some high quality weed stop / landscaping fabric and chicken wire. Then called around and found out I can buy one for a couple dollars more than making my own. Won't be making any more.

If you're looking for short/narrow poultry wire, 2' x 150' x 1" galvanized at Lowe's for about $25, best deal I've seen anywhere.

grow nerd

Veteran
SG1, welcome. :wave:

~~~

Promised some uglies. They're so pissed.

My stress level from it is 2x the stress level you see in them.

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Should be a good grow season this yr.
I don't believe in luck, so won't wish you luck.

Work hard and prosper. :respect:

Thanks for the warm welcome

grow nerd

Veteran
SG1, I'm totally with you on reaping what you sow. I think luck is just an expression of short-term variance. That said, I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I could, and should, have this season. I slacked off plenty, and am definitely playing the role of the lazy grasshopper. That's the bed I made, and I can't really blame anyone else for the subpar results I'm having.

Been a pretty humbling experience so far, and doing some ICmag homework 6 months earlier would have prepared me much better. Sometimes, just working hard isn't enough; it has to be done in time, as well.

The 2014 season has barely begun, but I can't wait 'til the 2015 season... to correct all my newbie mistakes and start fresh. Technically, I guess the next season has already begun (in my head).

Prior
Planning
Prevents
Poor
Performance

I'll talk more about the pissed off transplants soon. Maybe more pics so I can remedy the situation better. Right now I'm doing some reading and searching. So far the information I have gathered leads me to believe:

• They got too much light from the get-go. Especially for such root-bound plants. Should have been done in dimmer lighting, or maybe some diffusive plastic covering / shading used until the roots caught up.
  • Better watering methods needed penetrating the original rootball without overwatering the rest of the medium before roots take off.
  • More food might be needed.
  • Soil might be a little hot?

Did some Cal-Mag foliars as well as just Epsom foliars the past week, so far no visible results. Added straw mulch a few days ago to help keep the original rootball from drying out as quickly.

Strong winds and cold nights aren't helping.

Got a brix meter on the way.

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran

Careful with the Imidacloprid, that shit can seriously stunt your plants, and cause reveg like growth for a couple months after application. It will kill just about anything alive in your soil though :biggrin:

grow nerd

Veteran
Señor D, thank you for the heads up. I haven't taken a close look down in the root zone yet, but hoping I won't have to use it. I will do the BTi drench regardless, it should be completely harmless.

Hemphrey Bogart, sending PM.

Pretty excited to play with a refractometer, another new toy.

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
Yup BTI and neem cake are relatively harmless to plants. I would definitely save the imid for an absolute last resort though.

grow nerd

Veteran
Planning to mix in the neem cake with the soil in their final pots at 1/2 cup per cubic foot. Is that too much/too little?

I'm testing Vermifire with some new transplants and seeing how that goes. If reasonably well, I might do some in Vermifire and some in 420 Blend. Vermifire is coco-based from what I can tell (also lists peat as second ingredient), while 420 Blend is peat-based although it seems to have a good amount of redwood fibers.

Really gonna have to read up on making my own compost teas.

Just as I get to talking about it being cold, a sudden heat wave rolls through...

Mister_D

Veteran
Neem really isn't something I've messed with much, but it can cause problems if you add too much. Hit up the organic soil forum, I'm sure some of those guys can give you some solid advice on amending with neem :biggrin: Clackamoscoot (spelling is probably wrong), is the guy I'd pm first. He has this organic shit down pat :tiphat:.

grow nerd

Veteran
I think Clackamas Coot mentioned he top-dressed; the "big plant thread" guys are talking about 1/2 cup mixed in with soil. Not that I don't trust CC, but the mix-in seems simpler for me especially since I don't have the final pots of soil yet (various reasons).

I'll talk about how I f'd up and got the full term plants from being relatively healthy to the current state in the next post or two, still trying to gather my thoughts on that. Maybe I can narrow things down a bit. Although I'm convinced that simply having smaller less root-bound starts transplanted with a bit of shading and better watering would dramatically reduce transplant shock to begin with.

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
I think Clackamas Coot mentioned he top-dressed; the "big plant thread" guys are talking about 1/2 cup mixed in with soil. Not that I don't trust CC, but the mix-in seems simpler for me especially since I don't have the final pots of soil yet (various reasons).

I'll talk about how I f'd up and got the full term plants from being relatively to the current state in the next post or two, still trying to gather my thoughts on that. Maybe I can narrow things down a bit. Although I'm convinced that simply having smaller less root-bound starts transplanted with a bit of shading and better watering would dramatically reduce transplant shock to begin with.

Seems to me it would be more effective if mixed into the soil, but I don't doubt it's effectiveness top dressed also. Maybe ask coot why he recommended top dress over mixing it in. Might just have been because the dirt was already mix?

grow nerd

Veteran
Cheap hose. Apex Medium Duty, $36 for 150' at Home Depot. One to avoid IMO.

Pretty depressing to see plants in this state, I wish I knew what I was doing. Wish there's an "undo" in growing.

So I don't have more of these...

HillBilly1

Veteran
I have been running neem meal in my tea, seems to be working
Well I am going lite at 1/4 cup per 5gals 1/2 cup was what I was
told to use.. Then spray weekly with neem one week the spinosaid
The next just to keep shit at bay

What the hell happened? You lost all the Younglings

grow nerd

Veteran
Lost a couple indoor/outdoor transplants to wind, lost a couple dep plants to wind snapping cheap PVC frame.

Just now beginning to read about compost teas. I think I need it to get the beneficial microbes going in my soil, to quickly break down the organic components?

Latest posts

Latest posts