What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Rockwood initial water and watering after cuts are taken

gearldferino

I got the moisture level good when I break up Rockwood and soak then I stack the Rockwood 5 or more cubes high. It creates water flow and pulls the water down to bottom cubes. If the cubes are still to wet I shake them with my wrist to get more water out if they feel to wet. They are almost dry if you through them up in the air you can feel there is no weight. I had 74 of my 75 root without any wilted or bad leaves. I filled up a rubber maid container with a inch of water to dip in 1/4 inch of the basket trey. And when I checked only about 1/2 bottom inch of Rockwood looked wet. Well this time I had trouble repeating that perfectly and I lost a lot of cuts. I tryed to put each clone on a stack of 8 or more Rockwood cubes to drain the extra water but it was still to wet and root rot came. I don't use the humidity dome more then a day or 2 and I never sprey with water. I have them under the stairs where it's cool on heat mats. I just added a air stone in a gallon jug to up humidity and a 4in exhaust fan set on 78. Back to the question here how do you initially get your Rockwood with the right moisture and how do you keep it that way. Anyone who wants to put detailed info on exactly how they water Rockwood would make a useful thread come on people let's get lots of different techniques. Thanks icmag I've learned a lot by reading there is just a few thing I haven't figured out yet

I just soak the rockwool in ph 5.5 water while I am doing the actual cutting of the clones, so probably 5-15 minutes. I just take them out, give them a little shake, use a tooth pick to open the hole up deeper, do my normal clone routine, and then set in a humidity dome for a few days and I get about a 95% success rate, last time 100%. No fan. I keep the dome closed for the first 2 days then open it half way for 2 days, then open the vents all the way until rooted.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
If u listen closely u may hear Chaco whisper

If u listen closely u may hear Chaco whisper

Mist if u must ' then get in the zone

picture.php

picture.php

gearldferino

I'm going to do a quick soak n shake and try the dome in my new insulation lined clone spot. I think if the temp stays low enough and I don't spray the baby's and wipe condensation of dome it's gonna be perfect. Thanks

Wipe the condensation off each day, it will help the cubes to have their moisture turn to humidity and help the roots search for water and not end up rotted. No fans needed, no misting, no spraying the dome to start, any of that crap. :) The leaves will even stay green the entire time. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts