What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oregon is Expunging Cannabis Convictions

R

Robrites

Looks like this is an old article....

As the exciting opening day of recreational cannabis sales for Oregon nears, another trail-blazing change is coming to the Beaver State.

Along with legalization, Oregon will also be expunging past cannabis convictions, with a special priority for those who were under 21 at the time of the conviction. For the first time ever, a governor took action by signing Senate Bill 364 to undo the lasting damage that comes from a criminal conviction on record for a crime that no longer exists.
This isn’t the first time a legalized state has struggled with the hypocrisy of keeping past convictions on record for a crime that is now obsolete. Colorado set a legal precedent last year when a woman challenged the law and had two past cannabis convictions overturned. The appeals court found that she was no longer guilty under state law, which signaled a serious breakthrough for anyone convicted of a cannabis crime in Colorado.
Washington considered House Bill 1041 earlier this year, a piece of legislation that also would have expunged past convictions for marijuana. The bill saw several hearings but unfortunately did not gain momentum, and the legislative session ended without any action.
Oregon may not have been the first to legalize, but they’re already improving upon the implementation process by leaps and bounds. They will be allowing recreational consumers to visit medical cannabis dispensaries, opening up a legal avenue far sooner than Washington or Colorado. It seems they watched each state’s trials and tribulations in trying to establish a recreational system while taking detailed notes on what worked and what could have been better.
Furthermore, Oregon’s excise tax on recreational cannabis will be one of the lowest ever, at 17 percent, with an optional 3 percent additional for local jurisdictions. This may cause a bit of a turf war between Washington and Oregon, although only time will tell now. Either way, congratulations, Oregon!
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/oregon-is-expunging-cannabis-convictions

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't the article yet but will they expunge the records of people who were convicted of possession with intent to distribute? That would really be something if they did that, wow. So many people have suffered or have been unable to get good jobs, etc because of this unbelievably immoral law against a plant and those of us who believe it in.

therevverend

Veteran
Since the laws against growing and intent to distribute are still on the books, no way they expunge those convictions. In Washington state possession of more than 40 grams is a class C felony punishable with up to 5 years in prison and $10k fine. So people are still going to prison for possessing less then 2 ounces.
Also any amount with intent to distribute is a 5 year felony. So if you have 3 grams in separate baggies and a scale you get a felony which will not be expunged for a long time. Selling to someone under 21 if you're 3 years older is 10 years, $10k fine.
Growing any amount is Class C, 5 years. I suggest you investigate the laws in your state before you believe cannabis is 'legal'.

therevverend

Veteran
I looked into Oregon's laws and they are much better than Washington. I was pleasantly surprised makes me think about moving there. Possessing over 4 ounces in public or over a pound at home is a misdemeanor.
Delivery of a pound and possibly more looks like a misdemeanor. Good to see a state taking legalization seriously. Oregon is far ahead of Washington, and I'd assume Colorado although I don't know their scene as well.
More than 7 grams of hashish not purchased from your friendly rec vendor is a felony up to 5 years. Plus if you manufacture it yourself it's also 5 years, big ass fine. Ridiculous how using a kief box to shake a shake a few resin gland is a serious crime.
Growing more than 9 plants is still a felony, 5 years. And $125k fine! Unless you're near a school where it's 20 and $375k. What bullshit, just because you're grow happens to be 1000 feet from a school you get an extra 15 years. Those kind of laws are terrible. But at least up to 4 plants is allowed and 8 a misdemeanor. Progress in the right direction, and hopefully they'll get those old felonies expunged now the laws are better.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are some nice towns in Oregon to consider retirement in? Top quality infrastructure, Good shopping, gourmet foods, quality fish and meats, near the water?

therevverend

Veteran
Don't live in Oregon but I live next door and have spent quite a bit of time there. Anywhere in the Williamette Valley is nice if you don't mind all the people. It's got all the infrastructure, shopping, etc you'll find in the state plus nice, mild weather. In the Portland area you even have a bit of water with the Columbia and Williamette Rivers meeting.
If you like the Pacific Ocean Astoria is nice, although a small town. Anywhere on the coast will be foggy, stormy, and wet. It is beautiful but isolated lovely to visit but not sure I'd want to live there.
I haven't been to Bend since I was a kid but I hear it's very nice. Eastern Oregon is dry and hot, and very cold in the winter. It is beautiful but very redneck, I think near Bend would be the place to be.
Medford has great weather for ganja growing although I don't like the town itself. The area around it is beautiful mountains and forest, close to Mt. Shasta. Once again quite isolated. Anywhere in Oregon, once you get out of the city it's redneckville. Very long drive to get anywhere civilized. But tons of opportunities for ganja growing and I'm sure there's nice locals once you get to know them. Be sure to check things out on a county by county basis because there are many 'dry' counties.