What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SST's (Enzyme tea) What seed are you using?

I wood

The Sprout tea solution (after its blended, or the sprouted corn?

Both would work, depends on what you do normally.
Strain or no strain, your call.
I stopped straining myself and have been happy with my choice.
The worms eat the chunks up pretty quick.

H

HemperorsKnight

Anyone know the full benefits of these teas compared to lets say the revs recipes ?

Cannabinology

I have been using organic 2 Row malted barley, I have been trying to work out a recipe for a larger scale - any research on a standard recipe?

I have been going by Coots sprouted seed 2.0 but no specifics on ramping it up, any advice for say 30 plants? 100? Oz seeds/plant

ganjabyllama

I'm sort of new to SSTs, however to my understanding the goal is to extract enzymes and plant growth regulators PGRs like cytokins. There are 5 recognized classes of PGRs, does anyone know any specific enzymes or other things found it SSTs, that would benefit the seeds? Such as polysaccharides or jasmonates or whatever is in dandelions..? To my understanding a PGR directly causes growth of another process to occur, while "enzymes" are more of a catalyst. Like geno vs phenotype...? Hope that makes sense to y'all

suntracedpath

I can't make barley seeds sprout. I think I'm not getting the growth inhibitor rinsed correctly.
I may have missed a rinse early in the process. Is there a critical point in time to wash/rinse the barley?

I've tried sprouting barley two ways. Both start the same - 56g barley rinsed and soaked for over 8 hours. Drained and weighed at over 84g. From there Attempt 1 used a mason jar with holes in the lid(I use this for corn sst's no problem). The barely looked too wet at times; like I couldn't get enough moisture off after the rinses. They got mushy and stinky. I was pretty diligent about rinsing.
Attempt 2 I put the barley in a small colander, covered with a moist paper towel and put that into a loose plastic grocery bag. Things seemed better, there were small tails cracking through, but none extended passed the barley shell. I continued rinsing with no change. But they did start smelling strong. Here I think I missed a rinse about 24-36 hours in.

I wood

I can't make barley seeds sprout. I think I'm not getting the growth inhibitor rinsed correctly.
I may have missed a rinse early in the process. Is there a critical point in time to wash/rinse the barley?

I've tried sprouting barley two ways. Both start the same - 56g barley rinsed and soaked for over 8 hours. Drained and weighed at over 84g. From there Attempt 1 used a mason jar with holes in the lid(I use this for corn sst's no problem). The barely looked too wet at times; like I couldn't get enough moisture off after the rinses. They got mushy and stinky. I was pretty diligent about rinsing.
Attempt 2 I put the barley in a small colander, covered with a moist paper towel and put that into a loose plastic grocery bag. Things seemed better, there were small tails cracking through, but none extended passed the barley shell. I continued rinsing with no change. But they did start smelling strong. Here I think I missed a rinse about 24-36 hours in.

You can avoid that whole issue by using malted barley from a brew shop, it is ready to go and in my area cheaper than buying seeds.
2 row and 6 row are what you want with 6 row being the better choice if available.

suntracedpath

I'm going for that enzyme boost with the barley sst. Could you explain more about how you're using it Iwood? Powdered in soil, top dress or as a tea. Thanks

anurag

A little off topic, but has anyone studied pine pollen? I've read some studies on it, and have observed that the sedges and grasses growing under our white pine trees undergo a tremendous growth spurt just after the pollen is released. It does contain testosterone, so maybe it would not be good for females.

anurag

The reason I became interested in pine pollen is that mowing under the pines is a real chore with a lot of roots and rocks, so I accused the lawn fertilizer guy of dumping fertilizer under the trees. He told me he never fertilizes there, and I found out he was telling the truth. So, a little studying and I found pp is a growth stimulant.

I wood

I'm going for that enzyme boost with the barley sst. Could you explain more about how you're using it Iwood? Powdered in soil, top dress or as a tea. Thanks

I use two tablespoons whizzed up in a small smoothie type blender added to a gallon of water. It was strained the first time only, what a pain in the ass. From then on I just shake as I use it and the bits become part of the mulch layer.