What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MilehighGuy's Organic Soil Journal

benzo

Mile high guy, this is gonna be legit ! Can't wait to see plants in that mix.

How was that swt #4 grown ? The pic you posted up there ^

It's beautiful.

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I'll be using the tea in about 48-50 Hours. Hopefully it's ready then!
MHG

Check with MM because that's an extremely long brew time. Really extreme. You should be in the 24 - 33 hours from start to finish.

Again - check with the expert.

HTH

BTW - that's the nicest lava rock product that I've ever seen. Really nice!

CC

Mister_D

Veteran
Pulling up my chair here in the back milehigh. You've got a hell of mix going there, i'm sure it will serve you very well. K+ on using EM-1 also, you are one of the few people i've met that even knows what it is :biggrin:. I use it for tons of things inside and outside of the garden. I'm curious how you are getting the ph to drop in 5 days when activating it though? Usually takes at least two weeks before it hits 4 or below when I mix up a batch.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
*compost/vermicompost – 2.38% max. (4.5 liters), (19 cups US), (4.5 quarts US) – reduce as required according to brewer and water quality

*unsulphured pure black strap molasses - I recommend using 0.50% (just under 1 liter), (4 cups US) (1 quart US) [but you can use a maximum 0.75% (1.4 liters), (5.9 cups US), (1.4 quarts US)] – reduce as required according to brewer and water quality

*fish hydrolysate(high quality) - 0.063% - (120 ml); (4 ounces)
Do not use chemically deodorized liquid fish!

*kelp meal - 0.25% max. (0.5 liter or 500 ml), (17 ounces US), (0.5 quart US), (2 plus cups)
NOTE: This is a maximum amount of kelp and you can experiment using less. This is using regular grade kelp meal for livestock. If you have soluble kelp, I recommend using smaller amounts. Sometimes kelp meal can initially delay bacterial multiplication.

4 Gallons of Water:

Compost Input = 2.38% I rounded up to 2.5%

My Math = 25% of 4 Gallons = 1 Gallon. 10% of that is 1/10 of a gallon and that is about 2.5% of the total.

1/10th of a gallon = about 1.5 Cups

MOLASSES = .50% or about 20% of the Compost amount. .5/2.5 = .20

.20% of 1.5 Cups is about 70 Milliliters

70 milliliters is about 1/3 Cup - So yes, if my math is even close I should be fine.

I would normally harvest at 36 hours but It will be 5 am at that time and I may or may not be awake..... I might just wake up early for the event.

Haha

Thanks for keeping me in check with my math.... and if anyone sees where I had a major error in my thoughts..... please chime in before it's too late!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I thought the rule of thumb for molasses for tea s 1 teaspoon per gallon.

I generally shoot for about a TBSP to the gal, but that's only when I'm actually using my brain..

A lot of times, I just pour and then go "Oh shit that's probably enough.."

It's not uncommon for me to end up with a TBSP or two in a half gallon, ..

Some folks smarter than I - please do weigh in, .. Is it possible to (within reason) OVERsugar the dirt?

I'm not talking a 3 lb bag of granulated white sugar to a gallon of topsoil, but .. :tumbleweed:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Some folks smarter than I - please do weigh in, .. Is it possible to (within reason) OVERsugar the dirt?

It's microbe food mang! It should be eaten

And yes, there is a proper amount to add.... not just a guess.... and I'm right on.... at least if my math is correct.

Microbeman has done MUCH more testing than I could ever do with high powered microscopes and I trust his judgment.

Visit MicrobeOrganics.com and check out the Link for Compost Tea Recipes.

You will see that the amount for a diverse tea is .50% of the total volume. For me with 4 gallons in my tea machine, that number is 1/3 Cup.

To be fair: 1 Tablespoon = 14.7 Milliliters and .50% of 1 Gallon is 18.9 Milliliters.... SO the 1 Tablespoon per gallon is pretty close to ideal... just make it a HEAPING Tablespoon haha.

I used to just guess and my teas were hit and miss. Now I can more accurately rely on them.... but not 100%

I cannot wait for the day I get my first Microscope!!!

Neo 420

Veteran
I generally shoot for about a TBSP to the gal, but that's only when I'm actually using my brain..

A lot of times, I just pour and then go "Oh shit that's probably enough.."

It's not uncommon for me to end up with a TBSP or two in a half gallon, ..

I'm not talking a 3 lb bag of granulated white sugar to a gallon of topsoil, but .. :tumbleweed:

I maybe wrong on this but from my understanding you can cause anaerobic activity via excess molasses, Can any body weigh in on that

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I maybe wrong on this but from my understanding you can cause anaerobic activity via excess molasses, Can any body weigh in on that

Probably.... but I wouldn't want to be brewing a tea without enough food in it!!!

Just follow MicrobeOrganics.com Math... It's simple.

:tiphat:

Neo 420

Veteran
MileHigh
I have a bag of hydrolite laying around. Are using it for silica? I'm interested to know if my bag could benefit me? I have a batch of dirt composting right now and could possibly experiment with.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Thanks as always CC.

Some research... nothing special. I'll have to do the real research tonight when I'm not at work.

Zeolite contains aluminum ions. Could this potentially be harmful?

No. The aluminum is very strongly bonded into the cage-like structure of the zeolite, and so is completely unavailable biologically. It would take temperatures of 900°F (480°C) to break the aluminum free from the zeolite crystal. There is no chance that all natural Zeolite can introduce any aluminum into the body. In fact, tests prove not only that all the aluminum in zeolite stays in the zeolite, but also that all natural Zeolite causes additional aluminum to be excreted through the urine. That means that all natural Zeolite efficiently removes aluminum from the body.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Was also reading that this Zeolite will clean up heavy metals and trap them inside... that seems kinda cool.