What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

300w LED organic noob journal

Lunix79

Hi everyone!! Been reading posts in these forums for a while and thought I'd post my journal! Only done growing outdoors in past, started in Africa then continued here in UK. But only in small pots in forests, on trees (my first summer 20plants were lost to deer/rabbits! :-/)' etc, so still consider myself fairly noob -so please flood me with advice, no matter how basic you think it might be! :dance013:

So, what I have in a nutshell:

-60x60x120cm tent (2'x2'x4ish)
-300w LEDMarsHydro (changed to Budmaster on Page 6/7)
-2x20w LED..experimental! :)
-Organic soil (i shall spare info atm....i am sure it will be touched upon)
-4"carbon extract, passive intake
-1gal smart pots (i have 3gal as well)

The important bit.....this has changed a gazilion times, but it's final....
THE CHOSEN STRAINS!!

- SOMANGO (Advanced Seeds)
- KRIPPLEBERRY (Dr Krippling Seeds)
- PINK GRAPEFRUIT (Short Stuff Seeds)
- ICE KUSH (Advanced Seeds)
- HIGH DENSITY (Heavyweight seeds)
- COLOSSUS (7 Dwarfs)

Will be popping on wednesday, next two days it's tent erecting, fixing things and soil preparing!!

P.S. I know they are autoflower strains for the first run...plan is to get a few jars filled early. will even prob start giving flowering nutes when it starts flowering. I know it's supposed to stunt veg stage and reduce yields....but with 6plants in a small space, i am hoping for 4-6oz total :)
Then I will do a mix autoflower + photo (can share veg times :)), which should give me a nice photo yield if i veg for 7-8 weeks!!

Hope you enjoy the journal as it develops! Any tips much appreciated...especially on soil, I keep reading how easy it is to "burn" autoflowrs!

Peace to all

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hi everyone!! Been reading posts in these forums for a while and thought I'd post my journal! Only done growing outdoors in past, started in Africa then continued here in UK. But only in small pots in forests, on trees (my first summer 20plants were lost to deer/rabbits! :-/)' etc, so still consider myself fairly noob -so please flood me with advice, no matter how basic you think it might be! :dance013:

So, what I have in a nutshell:

-60x60x120cm tent (2'x2'x4ish)
-300w LEDMarsHydro
-2x20w LED..experimental! :)
-Organic soil (i shall spare info atm....i am sure it will be touched upon)
-4"carbon extract, passive intake
-1gal smart pots (i have 3gal as well)

The important bit.....this has changed a gazilion times, but it's final....
THE CHOSEN STRAINS!!

- SOMANGO (Advanced Seeds)
- KRIPPLEBERRY (Dr Krippling Seeds)
- PINK GRAPEFRUIT (Short Stuff Seeds)
- ICE KUSH (Advanced Seeds)
- HIGH DENSITY (Heavyweight seeds)
- COLOSSUS (7 Dwarfs)

Will be popping on wednesday, next two days it's tent erecting, fixing things and soil preparing!!

P.S. I know they are autoflower strains for the first run...plan is to get a few jars filled early. will even prob start giving flowering nutes when it starts flowering. I know it's supposed to stunt veg stage and reduce yields....but with 6plants in a small space, i am hoping for 4-6oz total :)
Then I will do a mix autoflower + photo (can share veg times :)), which should give me a nice photo yield if i veg for 7-8 weeks!!

Hope you enjoy the journal as it develops! Any tips much appreciated...especially on soil, I keep reading how easy it is to "burn" autoflowrs!

Peace to all

hello lunux.. that will be some 'gang' in there. tent growing in a 2'x2' tent will be different, hell any tent is different, particularly small ones. IMO, multi-cropping your first grow in a tent is/will be a challenge. with a tent, one must control the 'environment' in the room the tent is in, as well as in the tent. multi-cropping is another challenge in itself, with different strain requirements and preferences. I run 4 plants (multi-crop) and usually one plant isn't as happy as the others, in a twice bigger tent (still small) and it gets to be a jungle in there... I would suggest growing out maybe 2 plants with the most similar traits instead of 6. additionally, if you are using a that sized tent and you do hit a home run, think about where your going to dry them. in the tent? good air circulation, RH%50-55%, and 65ishF temps and watch out for mold, that will be allot of herb in that small space squished together..

GL, go slow, watch them grow and take notes. learn how to clone.. it really insn't that hard.

EDIT: 7-8 week veg is a very long veg for that tent, the stretch will kill you. unless I missed it and you are running a SOG.. which I didn't conceder til now. if you are, sorry bout all that up there and good luck..

Lunix79

Hi Snook,

Thanks for stopping by and taking time out to help!

Some very good considerations there! You are defining my future grows already, 2 ( maybe even 1) will be my ultimate target now....but this grow I might stick with plan - being new to indoors AND auto's (this hot soil stuff keeps cropping up!) I am worried I will loose some on the way...at worst (i.e all survive!!) I will have to cut growth back and settle for almost single colas similar to SOG - not ideal for efficiciency if concept was not like that from beginning I appreciate, but i figure better a smaller almost certain yield than have to start over again a few weeks down the line? Also, i think i would happily sacrifice 10-20% or more (if I still get 3 oz that is!!) for a bit of variety..until i get to know the strains at least :))))
I am not after huge yields, 1oz/month is the most i'll smoke under normal use (i.e. No friend gatherings, fishing excursions etc), so as long as i pull 3-4 oz/ grow i shoukd be fine! :)

Do you think it's achievable? (I have all my fingers crossed, but please be honest with your answer! :))

As for vegging photos...i hear you!! i was going to try the defoliation and supercropping technique to keep them compact, but if things look like they will get tight (allowing for stretch), I will switch 12/12 and sacrifice some autoflower yield for proper photo yield - i have seen people still get 1oz/plant in autos on 12/12, plant just stays smaller...win anyway :) )

Do you think it is achievable from the off?

Lunix79

Oopss...drying, sorry!! I am lucky, I have an indoor pantry attached to boiler cabinet - temps allways within 5 degC, big enough for me to still house what my final aim is: 100g/pw/3month :))))

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
it is well achievable
but make sure your heat/ventilation are in order.. it will not be easy to keep temps down with lights on (that's a big amount of light in there) and humidity down when lights are off, particularly during late flowering.. the other side of the 'I don't want to start over in a few week's: bud rot and/or mold at the end of the grow... youd have to start over again also but 8-12 weeks later.. if it was your 5-6 successful grow in that tent, it would be more easily obtained with 6 plants. just that failure in this game comes in many forms and directions that are often over looked, no matter how much experience one has.

Lunix79

Snook,

your previous post had me doing more research on similar setups...I can only thank you loads, you are totally right!!:tiphat:

That is why I decided to open a thread: one thing is researching reading loads and coming up with what one thinks is right....but having direct input into one's setup from experienced selfless growers is on a totally different level :woohoo:

I will cut down to 4. I appreciate that if things go well (i.e the balance of soil is right and watering will get me 90% there) even they could be a handful! :))))

Ice kush gone.questions have been raised on whether it's a true auto...not sure which one to take off...maybe the High density, even if it has the best writeup (not rviewed by end users tho...) of the lot :)

On soil, can I ask if the following:

1cup/gal of dolomite lime + 1 cup/gal seaweed&alfalfa mix + 2tbl/gal epsom

would be ok to mostly support cal mag throughout, without giving soil imbalance (mix of canna terra professional, ewc, guano and coffee grounds)?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Snook,

your previous post had me doing more research on similar setups...I can only thank you loads, you are totally right!!:tiphat:

That is why I decided to open a thread: one thing is researching reading loads and coming up with what one thinks is right....but having direct input into one's setup from experienced selfless growers is on a totally different level :woohoo:

I will cut down to 4. I appreciate that if things go well (i.e the balance of soil is right and watering will get me 90% there) even they could be a handful! :))))

Ice kush gone.questions have been raised on whether it's a true auto...not sure which one to take off...maybe the High density, even if it has the best writeup (not rviewed by end users tho...) of the lot :)

On soil, can I ask if the following:

1cup/gal of dolomite lime + 1 cup/gal seaweed&alfalfa mix + 2tbl/gal epsom

would be ok to mostly support cal mag throughout, without giving soil imbalance (mix of canna terra professional, ewc, guano and coffee grounds)?

Don't know shit about soil or nutes..

EDIT: "I" Don't know shit about soil or nutes..

Lunix79

And yet you still took time to come read a soil post - i like your thirst for knowledge and eagerness to help others!! Much respect :)

Subbed :) Cant wait to see pics!!!

Fellow first time auto/soil/led panel guy here ;)

Lol cant tell ya shit about soil/autos but I know the LED promotes short node length!! I mean my autos are under 300W LED and there 5" tall, and flowering. Non dwarfs to! Lol no explination except for LED did it.

Lunix79

Ho Warlab, thanks for stopping by!! Today is final prep day...gonna get messy!! :)
Will drop by too look at your post in moment...sounds like you are a little ahead of me and could provide invaluable insight!! :)

Lunix79

Lol - just realised...I am following your post and ALREADY have invaluable insight!!
Sorry...coffee had not hit home yet!! :)

Lol - just realised...I am following your post and ALREADY have invaluable insight!!
Sorry...coffee had not hit home yet!! :)

Lol it happens!! Have you ran LED before? Or is this first time with them?

Reading some of the posts up there, and touching on a few things.

Heat problems prob won't be an issue. I don't know what your inside the house temps are, but my gf runs the house at 70, and my cab stays about 75 lights on. It's a 2x4x4.5 but with the LED as long as have a good intake/exhaust shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I mis read, but running are you running all autos in there right now? The problem with running auto/pheno your gonna run into in a tent is canopy height. Obviously the autos are gonna tower the pheno. Which means your gonna have to move your lights up, not allowing as much light to the smaller plants. Just what I noticed.

With LED assuming there 3w diodes? I'd keep about 14" during veg. Can drop down to 10-12 in flower and I didn't have any problems.

Last edited:

Lunix79

Mmm...hadn't thought about the height problem whilst doing a veg combined.....maybe i will just have to build something akin to "the dustbin" method for a few veg...do you think doable under 50w ufo? Not much more space in room for another small tent :(
Temps on the high side won't be an issue...more worried about the opposite, at night temps in tht area can drop to 17 a nothing to worry bout, but not 100% ideal? Will prob run my light at night and off during the day, it should allow for fairly close max min temps :)
Not really done a grow with LED...had some plants out which germed in aug, started flowering end sep and were tiny. Finished them off 3weeks into flower onwards with 35w true reading LED...got maybe 15g, but if you saw the setup you would laugh!! I didnt think they would even survive....heard they make plants heavy on calmag consumption? My dolomite lime has not arrived yet and i am anxious to strt growing!! Guessing better to be patient that little more!! Lol

Hey, can i pinch your brains on something?

Lunix79

Oh - and LED are the 3w, Marshydro reflector. The spec looks good, esp lumens make me think it will be quite intense (i work a lot with leds for my day job)!
but of course there is so much more (uniformity, spread, mixing, PAR,etc) that will affect a plant! :)

Lunix79

Ok....tent is up...fan is connected...soil is mixed (though epsom salts and dolomite lime not arrived yet,will wait till tomorrow and then will start regardless)

While I still remember, this is the recipe:

2 gal canna terra professional
1 gal perlite
1 gal EWC
Ground egg shells (14eggs)
160g Agrafeed (comfrey, alfalfa, seaweed)
60g spent coffee
500g bat guano (1-10-1)

As Mentioned, would LOVE to add 4tbl epsom and 4-6 tbl dolomite lime.

All in 1gal smartpots :)

Thoughts and any changes to be made much appreciated! :)

How many plants did you end up putting in? You can grow under 10w...but gotta remember less light less production.

Did you run all autos? Learning from experience and this being your first indoor I would of started he autos in the final pot (3) gallon ones. Some don't like to be TP. Since there on a set clock any mistakes they won't have time to recover

Edit- as far as temps. I like to have a 5-10 degree difference between on/off. I run 75-77F lights on, 67-68 lights off. What cycle are you running? 18/6? 20/4?

Lunix79

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated!!

Strange thing...courier has just arrived!! I am mixing dolomite lime in a sec :)

I am only watering tonight, saturating and putting seed in thursday...fingers crossed!!

This round they are all autos, i have gone for stockier shorter ones this time round, prob will cut back to 2-3 next time unless really proves successful with four! ;)

Will prob have to stick to 1gal smartpots throughout - i appreciate it will prob get a little cramped...but i am after 3 oz tops :) if i can fit one, might put one in on a 3 gal and raise the others...i'll c how much mix I have :)

Planning on running 18-6 to begin with...with space being an issue, i figure it is my best option...can always crank it up! :)

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated!!

Strange thing...courier has just arrived!! I am mixing dolomite lime in a sec :)

I am only watering tonight, saturating and putting seed in thursday...fingers crossed!!

This round they are all autos, i have gone for stockier shorter ones this time round, prob will cut back to 2-3 next time unless really proves successful with four! ;)

Will prob have to stick to 1gal smartpots throughout - i appreciate it will prob get a little cramped...but i am after 3 oz tops :) if i can fit one, might put one in on a 3 gal and raise the others...i'll c how much mix I have :)

Planning on running 18-6 to begin with...with space being an issue, i figure it is my best option...can always crank it up! :)

Can I ask why run autos? You can get way more production out of that tent. Could run A pheno and lst/scrog it and get more than 3oz. Maybe it's just me just lots of work for 3 oz lol.

The 1 gallon pots are gonna restrict that a lot from growing. I think 1oz would be pushing it off each plant.

Not knocking it! I'm excited to see pics. Would love to see some of set up.

Lunix79

Hehe, you are right my man, it is not best set up at all for good yield!! But I wanted variety and I am not a huge smoker...if i smoke an oz a month it means i have been partying!! If i get more....my brothers will be happy :)

The plan is to end up running with phenos...just wanted to stock up a little first with a little variety, it looked like an easy win? Next run will be doing phenos no doubt....max 2 plants, lst, supercrop and defoliation to keep them small....i know i can aim for 10oz in theory, seen it done!! First run some indicas, then i want to try my malawi gold!! :) :) also want to read a bit more about 12/12 from seed... Seen some interesting results, even though I know it is extremely strain related!

But i will start by keeping it simple :)

As for photos...might get a quick photo up a little later ;)

Hehe, you are right my man, it is not best set up at all for good yield!! But I wanted variety and I am not a huge smoker...if i smoke an oz a month it means i have been partying!! If i get more....my brothers will be happy :)

The plan is to end up running with phenos...just wanted to stock up a little first with a little variety, it looked like an easy win? Next run will be doing phenos no doubt....max 2 plants, lst, supercrop and defoliation to keep them small....i know i can aim for 10oz in theory, seen it done!! First run some indicas, then i want to try my malawi gold!! :) :) also want to read a bit more about 12/12 from seed... Seen some interesting results, even though I know it is extremely strain related!

But i will start by keeping it simple :)

As for photos...might get a quick photo up a little later ;)

I wasn't knocking it at all don't think that haha. But ya I'd run 2 PHENOs, ones with vigorous veg, scrog the whole cabinet and wham! Lol. Just feel like running the LED and only get 3 oz is a little eh. I'm making a computer case grow with CFL as we speak and plan on getting at least 1-2 oz off it. ill post it in my thread

but as for first grow sounds like your on the right track!!! Looking forward to pics!