What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Onavelzy's Mojave grow

onavelzy

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

Not sure what to call this grow. For now, it's the Mojave grow, since all of the strains were gifted to me by some Fremen in the Mojave area.

The left two pots are ECSD.
Mid front is LVPK, mid back is Cookies and Cream.
Right front is Cornbread Bubba
right back is WWF, a strain I am dying to try. It's (William's Wonder x F13) x F13

Well, tbh, I am dying to try all of these strains. I got lucky and connected with a couple of generous trusting ICMag members who I guess see good in nudging a new grower along.

I'll veg for a week under the tent CMH, take some cuts and then flip.

There's a good probability that it will get a bit helter skelter in there with different grow rates, shapes, maturity times, etc. Hopefully I can feed everyone the same without issues. I've read that ECSD can be hard to satisfy. I'll be trying to learn more about all of them.

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
:lurk: Tag me in for this one.

Welcome Starke. Thanks for stopping by.

I'll post some details about the approach I'll use, but its pretty standard stuff. Most of what I'll post about is info that will help me keep track of what I did when and how it worked.

Looking at your Avatar info, I got to wondering, do people grow on boats? I never thought about it before. I guess electricity would be the main issue. And maybe the salt air?

Anyway, thx again for popping in. As a new-ish grower, I welcome any comments, insights, pearls of wisdom, even frank criticisms.

onavelzy

Veteran
Grow details

Grow details

As mentioned in the first post, there's five strains that I sourced from some folks back in December. They've been patiently vegging, waiting their chance in the tent.

Medium: Coco. I like House and Garden. It has very little dust and is very consistent with less "trash" mixed in than other brands I've tried. I treat each batch of coco with boiling water and then soak it in water that has my normal feeding level of nutrients and additives mixed in.

Containers: They are in 9 liter Airpots. I up-potted to those from very root bound half gallon pots around 4-5 weeks ago I think. Unfortunately, I was paying more attention to the plants I had in flower at the tent at that time and wasn't recording all the little details like that that may come in hand later on.
I put a pantyhose on the outside of each pot to minimize access for bugs and to also minimize washout from the pots.

Water: I use RO water. I just go to the vending machines at the grocery store and get it when I need it. It's not that much and it may be cheaper than buying and hooking up a home RO system. I'd been told the real cost with those is having to frequently replace the filters.

Nutrients: I use Veg + Bloom for both veg and flower phases.

Additives: I have been using Protekt as a Silica additive. Don't know that it really does that much tbh as there were some less than robust stems in some of the last run of plants. I have the bottle though so I'll keep using it.

I am also adding in Z7, an enzymatic treatment from Flying Skull. The goal is to prevent build up of "biofilm" in the medium and on the roots.

I gave Mammoth P a try last cycle. That grow was my best one I think, although I don't know yet what the yield is as its still drying. I will continue the Mammoth P this grow as well. I have been using it in both the veg and bloom phases.

I usually add a little Epsom Salts to each feeding, like a quarter gram per gallon.

That's it for additives. I haven't been doing much in the way of foliar treatments or feeds. Other than the Z7 and Mammoth P, I haven't been using any teas or other beneficials.

Irrigation: I plan on hand watering again. I used reservoirs with pumps on a timer to feed my first three grows. The last grow I hand watered once a day at lights on to a moderate run off. It took about a third to a half of a gallon for most of the plants to get a decent run off. I think I had much more uniform watering than I did with the pumped in watering and a lot less hassle with the tubing, connectors, etc. I have each pot in a separate basin to catch the run off so I can see how they are doing individually in terms of water retention, salt build up, etc.

I have the pots and their runoff basins in a 4' x 4' x 4" plastic tray

I use a shopvac to get rid of the run off about an hour after watering.

I use these green plastic "diffusers" from FloraFlex on top of each pot to allow the water to spread across the top of the medium more evenly. That way I know the entire root mass is getting reached. It's probably needless overkill but if nothing else, it's also a barrier to insects accessing the medium. I may opt to pull at least one of them though. One of the ECSD's isn't centered in the pot that well so the diffuser isn't flush to the top of the pot and is digging in a bit on the stem due to the pressure.

Grow space: The grow is in a 5x5x7'9" Secret Jardin DR150 tent placed in a small bedroom. I've had no problems with zippers, light leaks, etc. in the year that I've had it. The tent door is about 2 feet from the open veg closet and there's not been any problems with light leaks despite the roughly 400W of LED bulbs I have in the nearby veg space. I check after each grow by shutting myself in the tent and there's no visible spots. It's black black in there.

Light Fixture: The light is a Grower's Choice 630 DE CMH with a 3K-r bulb. My previous bulb burned out about half way through my last grow. It lasted about a year total.

Ventilation/air movement: I have an oscillating fan perched on a cinder block at ground level. I have another oscillating fan that I have on one of the tent poles so that it blows a few inches above the canopy. I really like the tent pole oscillating fan. It's a very functional device, exactly what I needed.

I use a 6" Hyperfan Stealth canister fan to exhaust the tent through vent tubing out a nearby window. The outflow fan is used to help bring in cooler and dryer air. We haven't used odor filters in prior grows but the ECSD may change that this go round. We'll see how the smells go.

ETC: I have a PVC trellis frame in place for 4" netting to support the plants. The plants area already a little above the height for the first level so I need to get the netting in this weekend. I can add additional tiers if needed using four way connectors

I think that's about it. As I said above, nothing unusual really. Sorry if it's wordy. I'm just trying to keep a record of what I do

seems like a very sound setup with good equipment! im sure your grows will improve miraculously over time! all looks great right now!! keep it up

onavelzy

Veteran
seems like a very sound setup with good equipment! im sure your grows will improve miraculously over time! all looks great right now!! keep it up

Kind words Sticky. I'm hoping things do well this time. They have become less..., disastrous, lol. Thank you for checking things out,

Ona

So Ona How do they look today....

don't have any pics, cell phone is having battery issues or something. I put in a second tier on the trellis, so the tops of the taller plants (the ECSD's) are around 38-40" from the tray.

no issues so far. I hate to discuss it for fear of stirring up the gods but we've had really stable, mild weather the last 2 months. I haven't had to try to fix any large temp swings so far. Humidity has been ok. I don't mind it being higher here these first few weeks of flowering. Later, I'll want it closer to 50-60%. That's all well and good but I don't have a dehumidifier so I'll be dependent on ambient humidity and my hyperfan to control the moisture added by the plants.

as filler, since I haven't added much here on this grow, I finished my last grow and tallied up the numbers. Unfortunately, the overall tent yield was my lowest so far out of 4 grows, 468 grams or something close to that. I did get 30 g of dry ice hash from the trim though. I have a couple of tests outs on the strength for Hammer's test seeds. Hoping those provide some redeeming value. Otherwise, I'm going to feel pretty crappy about things.

As they say, the sun will come out in the morning, so I'll just keep watering.

Thanks for popping in

Ona

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
Sounds like you have a good plan. Subbed and looking forward to how things develop. Cheers