What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sun system Epic hoods anybody using them?

Pro Headies

Veteran
Anybody using a sunsystem epic hood? The mirror 98% reflective material has me wondering about hotspots also how good of a footprint they put out.

I'm moving and getting a new 5x10 room prepped and thinking 2 Epic hoods running two 1.1k solar arc 2380umol hps bulbs in them. Only have 8ft height wise or I'd just do DE but the solar arcs basicly are DE but able to be air cooled.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Bet you can find that or similar reflector for 25 bucks used... buying single ended lighting equipment new today is not a smart move there's thousands of these things getting dumped in scrap metal... depending on where you live check Craig's ... but why not just run de dimmed or 315 630 cmh both better options much more efficient n cheaper less work ... but shit if your in socal vegas u could come take as many raptors as u can leave with taking up hella my storage space

Pro Headies

Veteran
Bet you can find that or similar reflector for 25 bucks used... buying single ended lighting equipment new today is not a smart move there's thousands of these things getting dumped in scrap metal... depending on where you live check Craig's ... but why not just run de dimmed or 315 630 cmh both better options much more efficient n cheaper less work ... but shit if your in socal vegas u could come take as many raptors as u can leave with taking up hella my storage space

Thanks for offer but not on west coast. I don't think CMH is going to be the way to go, at least compared to SE hps 1k and cant go DE 1k hps do to heat and height. Quantum boards might someday be better but right now HPS is still king in my opinion. Did you see Issak side by side of SE 1k vs 630 CMH. HPS crushing them!

Isaacs side by side, HPS on left, CMH on right

Last edited:
N

naturalbornkilr

You can't just compare 1-1k hps to 1-630 cmh, the intensity of the 1k hps will always win, you have to compare watt for watt so 4-1k hps to 7-8 630 cmh. With the 600s your bud size will always be a little smaller so your people will need to realize quality over quantity because they are going to be used to seeing product grown with 1k hps. There isn't many people out there today that use air cooled hoods so like the other guy said you could probably scoop nice used ones for cheap.