What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow box

Athos

Dry weight

Dry weight

It is somewhere as a PS in one of the second run posts. It was 50 gr take or give a couple of grams.

Last edited:

Athos

Day 28 of flower

Day 28 of flower

And it’s the end of the 4th week of flowering.

The plants appear to have stopped their vertical growth at 43 cm (17 inches) since a couple of days ago; actually it would have been higher, but I did some HST on some of the taller branches in order to keep the canopy more even.

Some lower leaves showed signs of phosphorous deficiency (black or dark bluish spots on leaves), well no surprise there since the plants are 63 days old and were feeding on just the soil. This week the plants were given their first feeding with a mild nutrient solution of 0,98 EC (490 PPM).

I would say they have 6 more weeks of flowering.

This is how the plants look today.

Athos

Day 35 of flower

Day 35 of flower

And it’s the end of the 5th week of flowering.

Not much to tell really, I plucked some dead leaves from the very bottom of the plants, we don’t want dead leaves rotting in the soil attracting bugs like gnats do we?

A couple of tops reached the bulbs and had the tip of some leaves burnt, so I tied them down and / or super cropped them. The canopy looks very promising full of forming buds, I can see them growing by the day.

I need to improve the canopy shape previous to switching to flower next time so all the branches are even, letting the plants keep 9 or 10 nodes made for quite a difference in height between the lower branches and the top ones.

Here are the weekly pictures.

Athos

Posting videos

Posting videos

Like the title says.

Anyway to post videos? I have a video of the canopy that I would love to share with the rest of the comunity

Athos

Day 42 of flower

Day 42 of flower

It’s the end of the 6th week of flowering.

I’m still tying down the odd branch that reached the bulbs, but all in all the plants are in cruise control. The smell has gotten really strong all of a sudden, it went from a slight smell to really noticeable; I have but to feather touch a branch and the smell hits me like a freight train.

I noticed some purple petioles and I suspect some minor Mg deficiency. Last feeding, I added a touch of epsom salts, which put my feeding just shy of 1.4EC/700PPM. In just a day I noticed some of the purpling in the petioles receding and going green again. In case anyone is wondering or care, this is what my third feeding consisted of:

Tap water: 0.05EC/25PPM @ 8 pH

GROTEK Cal-Max 0.7 cc/lt (0.27EC/135PPM), this is what I use when I give them “only water”, making the water 0.32EC/160PPM

Epsom Salts 0.2-0.3 gr/lt (0.15EC-0.2EC/75PPM-100PPM), this brings the solution to 0.5EC/250PPM as a base before the nutrients.

BIOBIZZ Biogrow 1 cc/lt + BIOBIZZ BioBloom 4 cc/lt, which brings the solution to a total of 1.4EC/700PPM.

As for water, one of them is taking 3 liters once a week, the other much less, 2 liters in the same time period.

As always, picture time.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Way cool- so many cats here make me want to build cabs and boxes. As for vids, I think it's just youtube links; no video supported on IC/albums that I'm aware of...

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice canopy! Great job at filling up your cab.
How long are you planning on flowering these girls?

Athos

Sunday was watering feeding day and today I noticed a slight sign of nute burn (some leaves with burnt tips) nothing too worrisome, since I'm only feeding once a week at 1.3-1.4 EC.

I was planning to give them their last feeding next Sunday at day 52 of flower (planning for a 10 week flowering strain).

I want your opinions, Do i just start giving them plain pH'ed water a little early, giving the plants 18 days to consume the excess in the soil / leaves or would you give them a light dosage of bloom nutes?

jonhova

From my limited understanding harsh flavor and immature terpene profile is from inadequate cure rather than nutrient amount. Flushing is kinda l dumb imo you dont flush fruit, berries or vegetables why weed? No flushing in organics and actually detrimental to microherd.

Ill be feeding right up until i chop.

But do let me know what tou think whichever way you go.

Why not try feeding 1 plant up till chop and 1 till day 52. See if it even makes a difference in weight, flavor, terpene profile. If not at all or a negligible amount save the nutes lol $$$$

Athos

From my limited understanding harsh flavor and immature terpene profile is from inadequate cure rather than nutrient amount. Flushing is kinda l dumb imo you dont flush fruit, berries or vegetables why weed? No flushing in organics and actually detrimental to microherd.

Ill be feeding right up until i chop.

But do let me know what tou think whichever way you go.

Why not try feeding 1 plant up till chop and 1 till day 52. See if it even makes a difference in weight, flavor, terpene profile. If not at all or a negligible amount save the nutes lol $$$$

Mate, like you this thread contains my first two attempts at indoor growing, prior to that I had 2 outdoor runs with autoflowers, so my experienced is limited. But I've had a lot of fun learning both growing and reading material, grow diaries, watching videos, etc, in order to polish my meager skills.

But I will share with you some of the wisdom I have learnt; the following is what I consider the most important thing while growing:

1. Temperatures: the plants grows very fast when in the correct temperature range 23C to 29C (73F to 84F). But on the other hand if your temperatures fall below that it becomes slower, and if it falls below 15C (59F) it can slow down to a crawl (and yes it includes night temperatures). Ditto with humidity.

2. Over watering. this is a very common mistake. too much water will prevent the roots from taking oxygen and this will make your plants grow REALLY slow, while waiting for the soil to dry up. This here is the first skill we are to master to have good yields.

3. Poor soil. Investing in a good soil will go a long way in your plants health.

4. pH. Been in the correct pH range speeds up things a lot.

5. Light distance. Learning the best distance helps a lot in having a squat plant and even canopy which is really what helps us with a good yield. Skill number #2

6. Plant training: LST, super cropping, topping, FIMming, defoliation. Learn about them and see what works for you. This I would name the third skill we have to learn.

See how I didn't mention nutrients? I's waaaay down the list; master those basics I mentioned above and then worry about what to feed the plant.

As for nutrients, if I had the space I would use 5 gallon pots (20 liter) as a final transplant and try not to feed anything.

There's a post in another forum that was taken from mandala seeds that I encourage you to read, it's about nutrients and the correct way to use them in soil and frequency of it. It has worked really well for me. I hope not to breach any forum rules, but here it is:

www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/archive/index.php/t-14065.html

Last edited:

Athos

Day 49 of flower

Day 49 of flower

And we are at the end of the 7th week of flowering, it should be 3 more weeks until harvest.

Well this is the most fun part of growing, watching the buds fatten up. At least this time the wife won’t be taking samples ahead of time, like the last time, since she still has 12 grams from the last harvest, which should last her until I chop and dry the current plants. By the way anyone knows any strain with aphrodisiac effects?

Contrary to what I said the past week, I won’t be feeding them anymore, just plain pH’ed water; that should give them 17 or 18 days to consume what’s left in the soil and foliage and since I didn’t have a massive cal/mag deficiency this time, the plants have a healthy amount of leaves. So all in all I made due with just 4 feedings and now I now that the last one should have been milder.

And as always, here you have today’s pictures.

Athos

Springtails

Springtails

Today is day 52 of flowering stage and buds look better everyday.

I was just watering plain pH'ed water and getting a very healthy run off, when I saw many tinny, tinny maggot like bugs, that crawled and jumped all around the soil, no larger than 1 millimeter, probably half that.

No, there's no flying anything in my box, leaves look clean, no webbing and no sign of damage, well other than the leaves that are too close to the bulbs.

Tried to take a picture, but my camera is seriously outdated, like 12 years old and cannot take such pictures.

Freaked out at first, but it seems they are harmless and feed on fungus, spores, anaerobic bacteria and many harmful stuff for the plants.

Anyway, I expect 11 to 18 days until harvest

Athos

Day 55 of flowering

Day 55 of flowering

Well, it’s the end of the 8th week of flowering (almost the pictures are from yesterday).

Although the strain is advertised as an 8 week flowering sativa, I always planned for it to take 10 weeks as most sativa strains, since I still have to see the calyxes swell and the thricomes mature, which usually happen in the last 10 to 14 days, although it could take a few more days.

Since I only fed 4 times and rather mildly at that, I didn’t see the need to do a heavy flush; Sunday night I watered to a run-off just shy of a liter each plant; 18 days should be enough for the plant to consume everything remaining in the pot and plant tissue. I already mentioned this in the last post, but I managed to get springtails. Although they are not harmful, even beneficial, I prefer my grows bug free, it seems I’ll have to let the 3 gallon pots dry out further between watering, 7 days was not enough, so next grow I’ll let 10 days between watering’s.

Here’s how they look yesterday under a more natural light, already you can see the leaves a lighter shade of green. T