What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fractal Design Define XL - PC grow cabinet

ouroboros

I have the same fan as you, it's indeed quite loud at 12v. Currently it's running at 5v but I'm kinda torn if I should buy an AC/DC adapter of either 7v or 9v. Is there a notable difference between the 12v and 9v fan noise? I sleep in the same room as the PC case and don't want to arouse any suspicision.

Good job on your grow by the way! Keep it going!

ouroboros

Got myself an AC/DC adapter where I can switch the voltages (3v / 5v / 6v / 7.5v / 9v / 12v). The 9v speed definately keeps the edge of and doesn't sound any different than a PC at full load, while the 7.5v sounds like a regular idle PC. I have two of those fans in push/pull with carbon inbetween so I might get away with the 7.5v.

Klaser

The 12v power supply I puchased to drive the fans has a 12/9/6/3v switch.

Hi Roflio!

Loving your PC build. I'm doing something similar with the same Noctua fan. I'm having difficulties finding correct adapters for powering it.

I currently have a standard external power supply for 12V 4 pin Molex. But I cant find a way to connect to the 4 pin PWM connector to the 4 pin Molex. What adapter are you using? Maybe a link to the power supply with the switch as well?

Thanks!

roflio

Hi Roflio!

Loving your PC build. I'm doing something similar with the same Noctua fan. I'm having difficulties finding correct adapters for powering it.

I currently have a standard external power supply for 12V 4 pin Molex. But I cant find a way to connect to the 4 pin PWM connector to the 4 pin Molex. What adapter are you using? Maybe a link to the power supply with the switch as well?

Thanks!
Hi Klaser. Here is a pic:

picture.php

I am not using an adapter, I just ripped off the plug off the power brick and the molex off the Noctua fan and connected them using a terminal block.

WhiteBud

Sorry to bump an old topic but did you have any smell leaks with this setup? I'm using a Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 at full speed but the fan is pulling tru the carbon filter and I guess it's not doing a good job, because I can smell my weed.

burningfire

Veteran
that's a way too nice of a case to gut out and use as a pc grow.. it makes me sad :( I hope the results are worth it!

Athos

Smell leaking happens due crap filter or using it beyond it's airflow specifications, either case it's not the fan's fault.
I have 2 exhaust fan / filter setups that I switch between depending on temperatures and humidity; and both use Noctua fans an A6 for one and A8 for the other. The filters are both Can filters: can 705 for the A6 and a can-lite 1500 for the A8.

using a high airflow fan with restrictions (filter) doesnt work well, youll need a fan that provides higher static pressure, not just free air flowing high cubic feet numbers

or make the filter more efficient, bigger surface area

WhiteBud

The Noctua NF-A14-3000 have good static pressure of 10.52mmH2O. I guess my filter tru which the fan is pulling is too small and the fan is pulling too much air. Maybe I need to limit the RPM to 2000 or less in order for the filter to work. I'm using a filter similar TeriYaki's - https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39775&pictureid=942295
My fan is 2 times more powerful. Also I'm using this type of activated carbon -> http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-af9o6...litre-1-101__63739.1412933034.386.513.jpg?c=2
Maybe I need to use other type?

youre not using a cillinder filter ??

and 300cubic per hour on 6 watts, is high airflow no matter what the ad tells you, a regular fan takes like 40 watts for that, but then its suited for a filter

WhiteBud

youre not using a cillinder filter ??

and 300cubic per hour on 6 watts, is high airflow no matter what the ad tells you, a regular fan takes like 40 watts for that, but then its suited for a filter
Yep. Something like that one in the picture. Made it from PVC pipe. Also I'm running a full tower PC box, so it's not much space. So what do you think buddy? Maybe I need to lower the RPM of my fan? I think I shall try that but first I must buy a fan controller.

get yourself a regular filter first, a cillinder has about 8 times more surface area compared to the sandwich model, if youre using the psu place as exhaust you can get pvc 90* bend and put the filter on the back of the case