What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My many designs and experiments.

Killkingkong

So I have a question for my next round. Today I bought a 30w driver to use in my bucket and another 100w $10.50 Lohas LED from Amazom & another $10 heatsink from ebay to use in my big PC (I'll be using my 20w driver from the bucket for the 3rd LED in my big PC, for a total for 70w). So this will bring me to a total of 140w/150w depending if I'm using 40w or 50w in my small PC, for all of my 3 micro LED grows combined. I was thinking about revegging the plant in the small PC since I like it's production so much, but it's still just bag seed. I looked at the seed boutique tonight and I can get greenhouse seeds mixed pack G for about 38$. I'm thinking about running 1 seed at a time from that pack and taking clones and then making fem seeds of each variety in my bucket. Does buying seeds and making a bunch of my own copies sound like a good idea to everyone or should I save the money and make clones of my best pheno from bag seeds? once I have enough of a supply i have no problem letting bag seeds go as long as they need to mature, but maybe name brand strains are that much better.

Last edited:

Killkingkong

So I chopped the latest plant that was in the bucket last week at 63 days. I had started to pick some "testers" on this plant and there wasn't much production due to spending most of it's life in an overcrowded PC, so I didn't yield much. After harvesting I ripped off some root mass and replanted in a bigger pot to play around with revegging. The 30w driver I was waiting for to upgrade my bucket from 20w came today, so I think this will be more productive next round.

The plant in the big PC is doing well. That plant has the denses buds. They're incredibly thick compared to any of the other plants I've grown even though this case has the lowest quality LEDs in it. Because of this I went ahead and bought a 3rd Lohas $10.50 LED from Amazon and will be recycling the 20w driver from my bucket, for a total of 70w. I'll be buying seeds for the next runs in my PCs so I'll really get to see what they do next time.

The plant in the small PC doesn't has as dense of buds in the big PC but there's plenty more bud and all of them are dense in their own right. This plant doesn't look anywhere near done, I'm thinking maybe 3-4 more weeks and it's already been 70 days I think. But that's the price to pay with bag seed, I'll try name brand next run. I don't have any changes in mine for this grow box, it's been most efficient so far, now to just dial it in.

Big PC:

Small PC:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I just went thru the whole thread......God Damn Son!!!! You don't give up!!! Is there some reason that's stopping you from setting up a 400w hps or shit even a 150. With all the little things you made to grow small plants you could run a nice perpetual system.

You'd really be loving the big buds you could grow. Or even building a decent sized led fixture and grow bigger plants. It seems like you love to grow, and in a 4x4x4 , 4x4x6(8) space you could grow enough perpetually to never run out.

Killkingkong

I just went thru the whole thread......God Damn Son!!!! You don't give up!!! Is there some reason that's stopping you from setting up a 400w hps or shit even a 150. With all the little things you made to grow small plants you could run a nice perpetual system.

You'd really be loving the big buds you could grow. Or even building a decent sized led fixture and grow bigger plants. It seems like you love to grow, and in a 4x4x4 , 4x4x6(8) space you could grow enough perpetually to never run out.

Multiple smaller boxes allow me more room to tinker and make changes while still being relatively stealthy (nothing about a bucket with shit sticking out of it, making tons of noise, and slightly glowing is stealthy, but that one is on my closet).

If anything this thread is about my love of weed and love of messing around with electronics. However in the future when I have even more room to tinker with I do plan on building bigger boxes, hell I even already have the design in my head involving a big ass rubbermaid garbage can & 5 cheap LEDs running at 20w each. One thing I have learned about LEDs is that it's much better to run multiple ones at a lower wattage. I'll really get to show the differences next round with each case having a different amount of COBs.

Killkingkong

Between the small pc and bucket which do you prefer?

The bucket with 1 20w LED COB doesn't really make dense buds, tons of branches though. I'm hoping upgrading this to 30w will be the difference in denseness. The LED in this box is the most efficient. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...rtualkey65110000virtualkey896-27308036AA00F23

The small PC produces branches with bud covering 80-90% of the branches. They're full buds, but not solid rocks like the Big PC. These are all a random mix of bag seeds, so I don't know what's a genetic difference and what's a lighting difference. The LED in the small PC is 2nd most efficent http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rknbu83y1zhPTc0SxQxCg8N1KedDa%2bGwApqLR2GeQ==

Last edited:

Killkingkong

So a few changes this week. First off I stopped being lazy an installed that 3rd COB in my big PC. It was sitting around for about a week. Now the big PC is 70w. I reinstalled fans in there just to be sure things would be fine for summer, so now each heatsink has a fan attached. If you recall I had 2 fans burn out on me in this case a few weeks ago. To ensure this never happens again I didn't split any fan wires out of laziness and hooked up each fan directly to the power supply. the way I have my fans in the PCs set up is really cool. I'm thinking about retiring the bucket and building a 3rd PC box since I have a spare case sitting around and getting 3 COBs in there. So when I build that new case I'll build a veeery in depth step by step guide.

With all that being said...I moved the plant from the small PC to the big PC. I also cut the bigger buds off the plant that was in the big PC last week and have them drying right now. I'm hoping that the new setup in the big PC will give the plant that was formerly in the small PC a big push at the end.

I haven't spoke about the bucket since I chopped the last plant that was in there. Well I started revegging that plant right after chopping and 2 weeks later I see signs of new growth. I don't know if I'm even going to flower this plant but I really wanted to test out revegging and now I know it works, so that's cool. The next thing I want to try out is cloning and then after that making feminized seeds, so there are many experiments to come.

This grow was another great learning experience but I actually have a stash to reap this time. I'm still on the fence about buying real seeds. I tend to splurge on building things because that's my biggest hobby but when I have a viable alternative (such as bag seeds) it's hard for me to commit to spending money. Anyway, we'll see what I do. I feel like I'm dialing in my boxes now, maybe good genetics is the last step.

The 2 COB to 3 COB upgrade in the big PC:

The plant that was formerly in the small PC which is now in the upgraded big PC to finish out flowering:

The last plant that was in the big PC that was partially chopped and is now in the small PC:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
that's nothing yet. wait and see it again in a week or so, it will be growing very nice. also coming from experience Id give some superthrive or a light feeding of growth formula to help with the regrowth.

Killkingkong

that's nothing yet. wait and see it again in a week or so, it will be growing very nice. also coming from experience Id give some superthrive or a light feeding of growth formula to help with the regrowth.

What do those do exactly? I've been using a full strength (mostly) KISS method of maxibloom/cal-mag/silica/distilled water from beginning to end. Next round I'm gonna boost the cal-mag during flower I think.

I remember in your thread you got weird mutant like growth at first when you tried revegging, so I expect to see some of that. The top portion of the revegging plant is too high up to be trained away from the light so those branches are gonna start bleaching pretty quickly so I'm going to take those as clones and possibly use them next round, maybe.

Killkingkong

So, pretty bad news, but not too bad. Last tuesday I got drunk and forgot to water my plants. When I checked on the big PC at like 5am the plant in there was all dried up. This plant was in the smallest container and was almost completely a solid block of roots and a tiny bit of coco. It was day 77 or somewhere around there so not the biggest loss in the world, i just decided to chop a week early. things are in motion for the next round. My reveg plant is springing back to life. I'll take clones from the top half then flower out the bottom half in the 30w bucket.

I still want to build a 3rd PC. I have most of the supplies, just need 3 more 100w Lohas COBs from Amazon and another 80mm Vantec Tornado case fan for the carbon filter. I'll run the COBs in parallel on a 50w driver for a fanless heatsink setup, should be pretty efficient.

Killkingkong

My Revegging plant is doing great. I'm gonna give it another week before chopping the top half for clones. The bottom half will go straight into flower in the bucket.

So the bud from the last plant is in the process of drying. I took a picture of my drying box. If you recall I did a water cure, so fan drying for 1-2 days works best, unlike a regular dry.

This is probably the point where traditionalist are going to hate me, but I'm far from traditional. So with my water cure I used distilled water for 6 of the 7 days. on the 7th day I still used distilled water, but I added food flavors. I know what you're thinking 'that's not good to smoke'. And I would agree with that statement, and add that inhaling any burning substance can't be all good for you. The reason why I'm not concerned about smoking the food flavors is because I'm a ejuice vapor. The flavorings I used are the same ones I use for my ejuices, so I'm already inhaling the flavor which is made from propylene glycol. Anyway things aren't done drying but I took a sample and I'm about to go smoke it with someone, I'll ask their opinion, I'm biased.

Killkingkong

Hey, so the next round will be in full swing soon. The reveg plant went crazy. I chopped off the top half of the reveg and took about 9 clones. I only need 3 clones, but I'm trying different methods, plus i figure some won't root. 3 of the clones went directly into a 90/10 coco/perlite mix. and the other 6 are in distilled water that has a air tube in it to create a bubble cloner.

The rest of the reveg plant is now in flowering. I moved this plant into a bigger pot this week. The pot was a little too big and being cheap I didn't want to buy a new one. I recently binge watched The Myth Busters, so I took a page from their book and chopped the box up and made a 4th wall using duct tape. Works like a charm. Seeing what I pulled off with much less root space before I don't think this will be a big difference maker, but it can't hurt.

Before Haircut:

After Haircut:

Potential Clones:

Killkingkong

wow, is that big one the one that you were trying to reveg?

Yeah, I overgrew the reveg plant so I could take clones. There are 3 COBs running at 70w in the big PC and I really think this run in that case is going to be mind blowing. I'll refrain from taking guesses at numbers, but if I haven't dialed in my techniques and that box then I'm definitely 1 step closer.

I was going to build a 3rd PC, but it hit me that I might be going overboard at this point. I've already burned through all my bud grown from the last round, so it's time to get efficient and pull every gram possible from my current setup.

Killkingkong

Might have missed it but what was your gpw?

Lol, watch for gpw this round. I made way too many changes to each box during flowering and I smoked far too many 'samples' from most plants to give an accurate gpw, so I didn't even bother weighing them. I did weigh the plant that spent most of it's life in the small PC and last few weeks in the big PC. After a 7 day water cure the bud from that came out to 26g. Not the 1gpw that I was looking for, but hopefully I can get 1gpw from my 2 PCs this run.