What's new

All males...what to do?

boolmag

Here's my situation...
I grew 3 plants from seed, all 3 ended up male. Right now they're just past 2 weeks into flower.
I guess I don't have much choice but to make some cannabutter or something like that with them. Question is:

Do I just yank them out now? Or is there any benefit to let them flower longer?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I'd pull them out of the grow area whether you let them flower or not. Uncontrolled, leftover pollen could affect your next grow. If you've no place left to put them, you could line the area with plastic you later toss out and wash down the walls and floors with a mild (3%) bleach solution.

Sorry, I've no direct answer to the question. Though I'd guess mo' time = mo' THC

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yep bin'm....waste of time to try and get high from'm...

D

dre86

how sad....Better luck next time....For such a small grow female seeds 'd be a good choice...:)

rocketman

all males

all males

If you have any great strains in them and you are planting more seeds in the near future, you could put the pollen from that strain in a sealed container with a dry shipping bag and place in frig. untill needed. Nothing to loose. Good luck. RM.

its alright dude, i just had 4/4 males ,shit sucks. i think its all due to stress, the better you treat them, the more females you get.

B

BaBaBooeyVT

i think you should start no less then 6-8 seeds

sorry to hear about the bad luck Boolmag

THC•20

That's also why it's good to keep mothers so you don't have to keep growing from seed and risking getting males. To me every male took the place of what could've been a nice budding plant. I'm not a breeder so no need for em.

Kizzattack

Harsh luck.

My first, second and third grow I got all males. I started about 15 plants in total.

I feel your pain. Getting all males sucks big time.

BonsaiBud

Now keep in mind that this was Lowryder#2. I had 2 males and 6 females. The plan was to breed them (has anyone sucessfully cloned an autoflower?) But I wanted to harvest sensi for as long as I could. Every morning when I got up I pulled the males out and snipped their dingle balls. Sometimes I even smoked these for minimal effect. I proceeded to do this for about 3 weeks. At this point, I began to see female hairs on one, and then about a week later, the other started growing hairs. Well, at this point, I left them alone and they returned to being full-on males in about 2 weeks. (I wanted to breed and didn't want anything to do with hermes.) Well, I failed to breed them properly...wound up with 100 imature seeds. After failing to germ any, I finnally pulled out a few bagseed beans and ordered up a new pack (normal weed this time- no autoflowers for me, not anymore)

G

Sounds like you have a strain, which one?, that has a potential to be a good breeder or at least make some good beans. I'm telling ya...one day you might be itching for some good pollen to seed a stellar fem you find. I kept on telling people not to kill their males on first sight so had to put up or shut up. Here's my only outdoor plant this year, I got a few tablespoons of pollen off of him and spread it around. It was an Afghani landrace x a Oaxacan landrace. The beans were over 10 years old and made down in Mexico. Out of 10 only one popped and it was a guy...and I was very happy. I hauled water every other day in the middle of summer. It was a labor of love.

Oh yeah...I pollinated this clone only strain to try and keep her going and so I can pass her along to others in bean form...

Last edited:
G

At least you have learned something... never germinate less than 5-10 seeds
I agree you need to pop more than 3 beans. I've seen a few growers play with a certain strain and always lots of males. The breeder eventually confirmed this indicated the males were good breeding stock. I've got 5 of em left and when I pop them I'll be looking for a good guy. Learn what a good male is all about. Many will make beans with the first guy they see no matter how crappy he is...oh boy it's a male...pollen chucking IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts