What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Krypto's Ultimate Controler

synthacide

nice to find this is 100%

THANKS ALOT FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK KRYPTO!, AND THANK YOU TO PACKN, FOR THE CONCISE BREAK-DOWN, OF THIS BUILD-UP :)

DeVenT

I've been looking to do a new set-up and was planning or running a PVC set up of either 6" pipe or 4"x4" fence post covers in the vain of aero/ntf but after readding this entire thread (took almost a week :lurk: ), I just might have to rethink that....
Currently running a 5 bucket DWC setup with a controller bucket and res. Within the last month or so I got a few pumps and a water kewler as a chiller and made the entire thing recirculate. My problems are from the air stones getting clogged, and temps(which the water kewler barely handles...if at all)...I believe that if they were able to totally fill and then totally drain, that would solve alot of my problems. Awesome design :kissass: (even though you didn't think it up...thanx's for sharing)

Kryptonite

Thank You, much appreciated. :tup:

I've been told that the vendor I've mentioned in this thread which carries the timer no longer does.
If anyone has found a different vendor for that product it would help new readers find the products needed for this build.

Devent,
I don't like using DWC simply for that reason. I want to use a simple system, capable of filling a large growing area with little or no noise. Using DWC with a 12 plant grow was very difficult hiding the noise of pumps etc running all of the time.
Water temps were a problem because the water was always where the heat was.

I've found that keeping my reservour in a seperate, much cooler room, really helps keep the solution temperatures to a mininum. Even using this system having the res in the grow room can keep water temperature above what is recommended.

If anyone who is capable of writing a new tutorial for this build while building theirs would like to, I think that would be just great.
I am too busy working on other projects and am just not up to the task here.

This one is cluttered, a few things are out of date and it really could use more options on where to purchase the components.
If anyone does decide to take on that task I would also greatly appreciate if I could have permission to use the tutorial myself.

OverGrow Forever!!!!!!!!!!!

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
^^
Those might work. Only diff. I see is that they are only rated for 20W while the others are rated up to 50W, I have no idea if this would matter... Also the ones listed in this thread advertise that you can reverse the contacts, which is a must.

I just recently ordered a timer from the vendor listed in the thread... as well as teh float switches linked here. I contacted PoolandSpa.com and my order supposedly had been set to the warehouse for shipping and the timers were in fact in-stock.

Ill update when I receive the timer and switches.

I may take up that task Krypto. Ill PM you if I do get around to documenting it... I doubt I could detail the wiring tho as well as you have.

Here is an alternate link for the switches. These are similiar to the ones linked in the thread.
http://www.fluidswitch.com/pages/fs01.htm

Alternatively you can contact any number of industrial/OEM suppliers and see if they will sell switches in small orders.
http://www.findtheneedle.co.uk/products/31368-plastic-float-switches.asp

Check these out :D
http://www.durablecontrols.com/plastic.htm
http://www.activeswitchandsensor.co.uk/news.asp?newsid=31
Read the description on it -- "the switch is fitted with a baffle which stabilises the flow of liquid to the float to prevent switch cycling and improve the life of the switch to an expected 10 million operation...." Then again were gettin to fancy... The original switches should work fine.

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
well my dad jsut ordered the swoitches as a surprise for me so i guess i willwork it out and get back to you all about the 20W switches and whether they work or not.

i have to say thta i ordered my timer from the same poolandspa and got no problems. dumb luck i guess.

it took me some time to get all the parts for the controller and still have to build and test, but as soon as i do i will report back to you guys with results!!!

EcoNepenthe

WARNING!

WARNING!

Word to the Wise:
AVOID POOL AND SPAS. You'll just be tying up your funds w/a company that knows it does not stock this item. Have to be quite aggressive w/them to even get a reply....then....wait, wait, to get a credit.
Suggestion: Google TA4079 Time Clock, 24Hr, 120V, SPDT 5 Term
and you'll get several listing.
I would recommend: http://spapartsnet.com/
They provide a UPS tracking #, respond immediately to phone inquiries.
They have a brick n mortar location in Tampa FLA.

ButterNBacoN said:
Your controller is great,works perfect,thought i would give you a heads up on one ov the vendors you recomended, Pool and spa.com, I ordered the timer july 7th, my acount was charged on the 10th, I called to get a tracking # on the 18th,they told me the manufactuer was back ordered then and only then did they send me an email stating such. I called and canceled the order at wich time i asked how long before i recieve my money back and was told that it would be about a week. I have called every week since only to be given the run around, I may never see this money back, so i decided to post my transaction here. I found the same timer at another sight on line thay said they had 100+ in stock cant recall exact number and i was installing it 4 days later,i really wish i had paper work around to give these guyes coodo's but alas, its compost. Just giving my experiances,controller is great and my system is working great, using black lava rock and will be planting in it soon,peace

GoldDustWomen said:
I had the same problem with them also. It took like a whole month to get my timer from those A-holes. I'll never order from them again. I did get my timer, but took way to long and i was charged right away and was told they were on back order also. They did e-mail me twice and ask if i wanted my money back, but i told them i was in no rush. I wasn't at the time, so no big deal. There is a problem there and i was say buy some where's else. I'll back up the same problem. Nothing but some bull
Later

Hope this helps.

Will post setup once complete.

Success w/ya grow!!!
Stay safe.

Eco

Watch em grow!!! :canabis:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
^^^^
I agree. Ive had lots of frustrations tryn to contact those people. They dont respond to emails or messages left on there phone. They state the item is in stock but delay shipping 1wk+.

UPDATE : Received the item yesterday (09/27/06) Ordered it on the 10th.

Last edited:
that 29 w switch says the contacts are closed when the float is farthest away from the threads. maybe you can orient it differently.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Has anyone been able to find a local distributor for 3.5 gallon buckets?

They sure do tax you on the shipping and handling on those buckets if you order them over the net, it ends up being near the same price as the actual bucket.

G

Hey bartender, you might want to try a local food service company. You know Sysco and other companies like that. I'm sure they could help you out and get you what you need. Or try a local farm supply place that sells feed and stuff. Don't know what you have in your local, but this is a start. I hope the best and your right about all the shipping cost. Alot
Take care,
BG

EcoNepenthe

Kitty Litter

Kitty Litter

Keep an eye out for kitty litter containers. That's going to be my approach.
Capacity...3.5 to 4 gals. Yellow..3.5, white...4 gals.

Hope this helps.

Success w/ya grow!!!
Saty safe!!

Eco

Watch em grow!!! :canabis:

Last edited:

DeVenT

I'm finally ordering all my parts today so I can get this thing up and running. YaaaaahhhhoooO!!!!! Of course I tried everywhere locally first but the results turned up nihl :( figures...guess I'll have to wait some more. Hope this stuff doesn't turn out to be on back order. Be my luck I guess....

DeVenT

Just curious.....does this system really have to have the double bucket set-up with all that hydroton clay media? Can this be done mediumless? OR back to the if it aint broke don't fix it? Just means that I'll have alot of rock to buy to fill 17 2 gal. buckets.That, and I'll have to buy another 17 buckets :(

Kryptonite, good to see your around. was at OG for about a year and built the controler, had a great time. i did have one problem with the switches, when they would reach the end the float would lose its contact and the relay couldnt keep the pump working. it was weird to watch this starting and stopping of the pump. i worked on it for some time and put it aside for a later date, i'm sure if i was able to shorten the travel the float would keep its contact and the pump would work properly.
I was also stupid as i bought pumps that were way too big and they would fill the control bucket so fast it couldnt spread the water out to the other buckets fast enough so it would fill and wait--- fill and wait, ect.
anyways i wanted to say you did a great job on this and the rest of us owe you a fatty, good work.

i've been coming to icmag for a short time now but like what i see, i'll keep a lookout for you. be cool

formerly known as joecool...OG Daze.

G

Can any of you experianced bucket growers tell me if roots getting into the drain line creats a problem? If so How do you overcome that? I am seriously thinking of switching to this method. Thanks for the replies

Latest posts

Latest posts