What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Grower Critical Checklist

JMASTER

Is there any place that has, or you can point me to a checklist of the most critical things to understand and execute BEFORE even buying the land to not lose your whole life in it making huge mistakes, especially in places like Florida/tropics? For example:

1. Land (elevation, soil type, nearby neighborhood/conditions, etc...)
  2. How many acres of land to think about starting with assuming you have enough funds to start with over 100, pros and cons
  3. Equipment - How much is enough or not for the acreage you have (rough formula? i.e., need at least 10 acres before you even think about buying a tractor model XXX)
  4. Amount of staff needed per acre, i.e., 1 master grower, 1 supervisor, 3 worker bees, etc....
  5. Funds for more equipment purchase
  6. Considerations for handling pests and other outside annoyances

BTW purpose is to wholesale and supply a CBD wholesale/manufacturing business.

G

Gauss

Word of caution if you think the whole farmer collective is going to last, I don't think it will. You're looking at a Farmer's Market booth at best unless your crop is controlled and tested to a "T", which means huge overhead. Not trying to bash your spirit at all, totally grow all the weed you want dude that's the American way, but maybe it's something to consider longer term.

JMASTER

Word of caution if you think the whole farmer collective is going to last, I don't think it will. You're looking at a Farmer's Market booth at best unless your crop is controlled and tested to a "T", which means huge overhead. Not trying to bash your spirit at all, totally grow all the weed you want dude that's the American way, but maybe it's something to consider longer term.

I've heard something similar before, considering how much biomass coming out from the west alone this year.

You think its more financially responsible to just instead setup an extraction and lab to do what I really enjoy with CBD?

JMASTER

Extracts have become something like 50% of the dispo market in the last four years or so from what I have heard, so yea I would say that's a great heading to look into if you really dig it.

The more I think about it the more I think farming right now or in the next 6 months isnt worth it here... Too many variables and added cost... maybe use investor money instead to buy better extract machines and a better facility with better staff instead of trying to go full seed to sale.

JMASTER

IMO don't talk to investors. They don't know shit 99% of the time and you'll be lucky to not have to yank the wheel every single day just to keep shit on the road. Cannabis needs to be studied for years to get a real understanding of it, it's not something you can buy and the people who want to buy it are simply sharks.

Oh I dont mean to talk to investors about the topic, only for their money LOL... I mean, I dont have enough $$$ to open a farm myself so I have no choice to do this. I'm trying to get together a business plan for it but I cant do that without either finding someone who wants to do this with me who knows their stuff inside/out or I need to learn enough myself to get started with the numbers etc....

But more and more I am thinking, with the dropping prices, maybe I'll just focus on opening a lab and extraction facility and forget the farming, not sure yet... As someone who is more interested in helping people with the end product, maybe I should push off the farming part until I am getting enough revenue to just buy it myself... 50/50 right now on this.

All I know is even though I'm a grown city boy, I absolutely would love to spend more time just walking the land in the dirt among the greenery with pride in what I grow, like the little lemon and mango trees I am growing in my house now. You cant replace that feeling.

Latest posts

Latest posts