What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neighbors dogs camped outside my homestead.

festerous

Veteran
My new neighbors three dogs are currently camped about 50' from my cabin. They are barking and growling at us.

This has been going on all day and new neighbors are nowhere to be found.
All three dogs look like they have been tied out with electrical cables and have chewn through them.

One is a black lab, the other looks like a cattle dog mix and the last is a pit bull mix.

I have tried to offer them food.

The situation is kinda pissing me off.

My great Pyrenees are really stressed out and trying to get out their pen to defend their territories.

I understand that my new neighbors are just starting out living off the grid (in a tent) but you don't tie your dogs out with extension chords and take off for hours upon hours.

Short of shooting them, pelting them with rocks or some other crazy shit does anyone have ideas on how to deal with them?
Or approach the new neighbors when they return?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
They probably need food and fresh water - try feeding them, and spray 'em with water - if you have a hose.

festerous

Veteran
They have plenty of water as Hurricane Barry has left plenty of huge puddles with clean fresh water.

I have offered them food also which they are glad to partake off.

As long as I'm not around.

It's like they have adopted our driveway as their new home.

I have a puppy that roams the property freely and Guinea foul that do the same.

Sucks seeing dogs in distress, which they must be if they are coming to your place.
Are the neighbors actually around?
Did they just camp out and take off abandoning the animals?
kinda tough questions to answer I guess. Shooting them would be terrible unless they were attacking one of your kin or animals.
I always approach unknown dogs with my palms at my side and exposed to the dog and talk calmly and confidently like you belong in it's presence. Hell, go out there and piss on the driveway where they see you do it and mark your territory LOL

short of calling an animal control officer I don't know what I would do. If they were friendly I would try to get them all properly leashed and onto leads off a tree or something until the owners can be found.
or stuff some bud in some treats and wait for them to pass out and put them in dog crates LOL

festerous

Veteran
The neighbors are a family with young children.
I have spoken with them once, other than to wave hello.
They are trying to live off the grid same as we are.

There have been a litter of young puppies whelping from their property all week.
And most of the day.
I have not seen nor heard the neighbors return all day but the whelping has stopped.

And the dogs have been loose all day.

I'm kinda fearing the worst but I may be over reacting.

I live in a beautiful but very violent part of the country with murder rates much higher than anything NYC has to offer.

I really don't want to piss off my neighbors and have them burn my homestead to the ground or some other nefarious shit.

Nor do I want to see these poor animals suffer

Animal control is way out of the question as I would not wish the government on my worst enemy.

budsnblunts

Veteran
A fire extinguisher would scare the shit out of them for awhile man... a little excessive, fireworks can be traumatizing for the dogs to.. I'm a dog lover but family comes first, including your dog's to.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've got a miniature dachshund, she wouldn't survive any attack, no neighbors dogs... no stray dogs... nothing would be welcomed here.

As much as I appreciate your heart in keeping them fed, it only makes them come closer & maybe get territorial.

I might be inclined to feed a single docile stray for awhile, a pack of 3... no flippin' way!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
In this instance - I reckon that the Chinese/Koreans/Philippino's etc would just fire up the barbeque - and dine on the dogs.

But of course in the western world - that would be a cardinal sin.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

up here it's 95% Chippewa, many diff Chippewa tribes.

To break the ice I'd ask if there were any Sioux Indian here, the Sioux are known to be dog eaters in certain tribes still.

Then the joke:
"What do you call a Sioux with a dog???
'A vegetarian!' I'd shoot back a my own question."

Always got a chuckle...

Then I'd ask 'Hey! what do you call a Sioux with 2 dogs???
A caterer!!!'

they'd roar with laughter :D

the best jokes have a bit of known truths within ;)

festerous

Veteran
There are no Indians here. Just a bunch of meth snortin retards.

I would rather kill and eat the neighbors before I harmed the dogs.

I will try to make friends again in the morning.

I really don't want to adopt any more pets but if that is the best outcome so be it

I have the space to offer a good home.

Just wish they could understand that I am trying to help them.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - tricky situation festerous - I hope that you can find a good solution - keep us posted.

kaochiu

Veteran
If nothing happenned to them, seems that your new neighbours don't care much for their new neighbours. Dogs are indeed territorial, but so are we. A waterhose shower usually does the trick, maybe scaring them with a firecracker? If they get traumatized, their owners could take them to a psychotherapist.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I and the whole area around me, we all have acreage. The tweakers on the corner have dogs that pack up and do nothing but cause problems, one neighbor raises birds and the dogs have killed one of his birds, he called animal control and they told him there is nothing they can do unless they catch the dogs in his yard, they almost killed my dog a couple years ago. I have talked to yelled at them and they say we are trying to keep our dogs in our yard. Animal control says if you shoot them and they don’t die you are responsible for the vet bills. Bascailly it comes down to if the owners don’t contain their dogs there is not much you can do. I saw animal control at their house honking at the gate and the people and dogs just hid and never came to the gate. I would get a handle on it as soon as you can. This has been going on for a long time with me, and basically there is nothing we can do short of trapping or killing their dogs...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I love dogs and all other animals (except biting bugs)

And I don't mind when packs of neighbor's dogs run thru my property.. (small acreage)

However, if a strange dog comes after my cat or threatens me at my own house, it will get quickly dispatched..
If you're not a good shot with a rifle, any shotgun with buckshot will put any dog down instantly at up to 100 feet.

If you do shoot them, do it one at a time, at least a week apart, and drag them where they won't be found by the owners...

Dogs are social animals and its natural for them to be drawn towards human activity and presence when they were left alone like so. Truly aggressive dogs wouldn't necessarily just warn you like so. These dogs are very insecure about everything and anything by the sounds of this and have not yet acclimated to it.

If it is truly a "PitBull" it's not a true game dog if running in a pack. So again it seems like you have to either make friends or enemies with this pack until you have the actual wild neighbors under control.

If it was me, I'd lend my extra chains and cable ties as well as anything else that might be useful and needed to contain the pack as well as any nourishment they might need.

White Beard

I feel for the position you’re in. I love dogs, all dogs, but a pack of dogs is dogs on a different level. What might work with a solo pup may not work like we expect in the presence of the pack, even a pick-up/ ad hoc pack will present pack responses to an even newer two-leg entering the scene.

Bless you for your loving heart.

Hydro8

Pack dogs are very dangerous they will rip apart little kids and kill animals. The fact that they come to your house and threaten you shows that are out of control and need to be put down.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love dogs and all other animals (except biting bugs)

And I don't mind when packs of neighbor's dogs run thru my property.. (small acreage)

However, if a strange dog comes after my cat or threatens me at my own house, it will get quickly dispatched..
If you're not a good shot with a rifle, any shotgun with buckshot will put any dog down instantly at up to 100 feet.

If you do shoot them, do it one at a time, at least a week apart, and drag them where they won't be found by the owners...
yup! no braggin' on killing pets, even if/when they're dangerous.

and yes, these 3 acting as a pack makes them potentially very dangerous. shoot the pitbull 1st and I think the others will treat you with respect of being the true pack leader :) Shoot/kill one and save the other two that way.

Can be tried first, if the other two don't fall into line then get with the neighbor and as mentioned by someone else you can purchase the chains, swivels, and appropriate collars n' clasps.

If all fails then just shoot them, humanely, one head shot each.

and you all know that I'm a dog lover, but I love MY dog the most & will always protect her first.