What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600w dimmable digital ballast, would a 250w bulb be safe on the 250w setting?

F

Frylock

Hi peoples,

I have a 600 watt digital ballast that has 400w and 250w settings but i've ever only used a 600w bulb when testing the lower power levels....

My 600w bulb died and i wondered if it would be safe to just use a 250w bulb on the 250w setting until i get a new 600w replacement?

Thanks for any help. :ying:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi peoples,

I have a 600 watt digital ballast that has 400w and 250w settings but i've ever only used a 600w bulb when testing the lower power levels....

My 600w bulb died and i wondered if it would be safe to just use a 250w bulb on the 250w setting until i get a new 600w replacement?

Thanks for any help. :ying:
idk why you'd not have confidence in doing so... but to allay any fears read up on the latest reviews of your particular ballast :dunno:

checking youtube as well

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Just assume the 250W bulb will fail when you least expect it.

In my opinion, get the 600W replacement asap.

Leaflet

I've seen this question brought up on several forums and the answer has always been that the bulb needs to match the ballast.

F

Frylock

I've seen this question brought up on several forums and the answer has always been that the bulb needs to match the ballast.

Digital ballast with 3 settings.... 600w, 400w and 250w.

I'm not trying to put a 250w into a 600w only ballast. :ying:

rolandomota

Veteran
This is why you always need a backup bulb you never only have one so buy two asap an hps and mh bulb

Leaflet

Digital ballast with 3 settings.... 600w, 400w and 250w.

I'm not trying to put a 250w into a 600w only ballast. :ying:

Yep, I understand. This is the exact same question I've seen posed before.
I have no personal experience with this. I'm just passing on the answer that I've seen on other forums for the same question.

Leaflet

I just did a quick Google search, and the answers are all over the place from, "No, you run the risk of a bulb exploding," to, "Yes, but the lower wattage bulb won't fire correctly and won't produce the right spectrum," to, "I've done it and it worked fine."

Just a thought - how about emailing the ballast manufacturer and asking them?

F

Frylock

I just did a quick Google search, and the answers are all over the place from, "No, you run the risk of a bulb exploding," to, "Yes, but the lower wattage bulb won't fire correctly and won't produce the right spectrum," to, "I've done it and it worked fine."

Just a thought - how about emailing the ballast manufacturer and asking them?

Thanks for the replies folks.

I had actually forgot that i have a cheap, giant brick of a 250w ballast that i can use until i get some new bulbs.
I really don't want to explode this one.

Thanks again. :ying:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good, much safer to run the proper lamp in your ballasts. The biggest issue I see is, for some strange reason we cannot fathom, the ballast gets turned up at some point and BANG!

FlaDankster

Veteran
Yes you can run the 250 watt bulb.Just be careful to not up your settings of course.

I have a dimmable lumatek 600 and i've ran 400 watt bulbs in it due to the same reason you're in.

It's always been my understanding that we should match the bulb to the wattage we're using on a dimmable ballast due to not affecting the spectrum of the bulb.I can see why as with a 600 watt bulb screwed in and lowering the wattage would change the color being emitted.