What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Miracle-Gro Organic soil

danapot

Hello all, first time grower here. I built an indoor grow box, painted it white on the inside, put in ventilation to draw in fresh air from outside, put in a full spectrum LED, started my first seed in a 2 gallon bucket filled with Miracle-Gro Organic potting soil. At 4 weeks the plant is about 4" tall and bushy with lots of new growth in the center. On the recommendation by a friend I bought the 3 part nutrients from Advanced Nutrients (Grow, Micro & Bloom). I used these 3 one time then I sent a question to the Advanced Grower Support. I told them my situation and asked how much and how often I should feed the plant. The info on the soil bag reads:Total Nitrogen 0.19%, available phosphate 0.03%, soluble potash 0.03%. They wrote back and said that soil probably has about 6 months worth of nutrients built into it so adding base nutrients will not be needed. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone got any insight into this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.:tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
i used to use the MG organic myself, it was pretty good
but it depends on if it's the MG Organic Potting soil, they have more than 1 organic soil
been a while since i've used it, formulations change over time

Granger2

Veteran
I would feed the AN Nutrients to 1 of the plants and compare. Good luck. -granger
P.S.-Oh I forgot. Miracle Gro would be my last choice for a store bought soil

Arian209

You probably wont need to use the nutrients. With Miracle Gro(and other souls with slow release nutrients) you can end up with too much nitrogen in the flowering phase which will decrease quality and yield. Keep an eye out during flowering for yellowing leaves while the rest of the plant is dark green, these are signs of too much nitrogen.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great simple recipe that you can utilize with pretty much ANY 1.5 cu ft bag of soil is the original basic Phillthy mix. It's a great starting place for many organic growers who don't have a wide range of access to various amendments.

This is the base soil mix:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF (or equivalent) - uses your MG Organic soil here
1/2 - 30# bag EWC
5 gal additional chunky perlite

From that point you could either amend the soil with more organic nutrients or you could proceed to give your AN line a run seeing how you've already purchased it.

However, ONE thing I would suggest you do that will make you life much easier, is go ahead and apply some minerals to the soil to help regulate pH and make sure you get enough calcium into the soil. Granted, that is generally the first step down the rabbit hole of making your own soil mixes, but, if I may suggest also adding to your mix:
[/FONT]
1/3c - aragonite or oystershell flower
1/3c - calcitic limestone
1/2c - dolomitic limestone
1/2c - gypsum

Adding those will likely eliminate the need for Ca/Mg additions during your grow, probably already eliminating the need for one of your bottles. ;)

dank.Frank

danapot

MG organic performance soil

MG organic performance soil

Thanks to all who responded to this. Big help!

rolandomota

Veteran
No it won't feed for 6 months just 1 or two then you will need the grow and micro at low doses if you see bottom leafs yellow and dying then increase the food slowly and definitely feed for flower these potting mixes don't hold much nutrients even if slow release "six months" the plant uses it up fast only if growing pure sativa 16 to 26 weeks will the soils food last longer if freshly transplanted after flowering stretch is over