What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any keto dieters?

I am still trying to convince myself. My Son and Daughter in-law. each lost around 30 lbs and claim a new mental clarity. Both are very strict to the diet and have been at it for 4 months.
I have added MCT Oil to my diet. When I eat pasta or bread I look at it differently but still eat it. Have you seen the documentary "The Magic Pill"? Very interesting.
Cheers

watts

ohms
Veteran
From my understanding, the keto diet was developed for epileptic children to reduce seizures. Yes, you can lose weight on it for sure but it isn't recommended to do long-term. If you are going to do it though, do it right because it isn't good to throw your body in and out of ketosis. Your goal should be to have a healthy diet and lifestyle and not worry too much about 'losing pounds" all the time. In my opinion it is not good to be eating all that meat. The Mediterranean diet is healthier.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
its been tough but i have dropped 10 pounds in 2 months just by eliminating carbs and sugar from my diet. unfortunately it has reduced my eating options significantly. i eat pretty much just meat an a lot of vegetables. very boring and hard to commit to. my main reason is attempting to reduce inflammation and shed weight but so far the only benefit has been losing weight. i was also hoping for some of that mental clarity they speak of but i have yet to notice any of that. i agree that it should only be done for a certain period of time.

Low carb as opposed to no carb seems healthier. However one could live without any processed food and do just fine. Reducing sugar, flour, rice, alcohol, that would help reduce inflammation as well.
Well done, losing 10 lbs is quite an achievement. It is said that overweight person losing 20% of their weight is point that the feelings of well being, energy, and mental clarity return.
I know that is true because I have lost that same 20% at least 10 times.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
luckily im not really overweight. i just want to reduce my over all body fat. im not fat to look at but i have a tiny bit of belly fat and on my slim build it just looks out of place so i am trying to eliminate that last little bit. i was already eating very little processed foods so that was easy. to be honest the hardest part is bread. i was never a big bread eater in the first place but to not be able to have a burger of a sandwich is just frustrating so i am planning on making some keto bread buns to reduce the frustration. overall i think it is a very valid approach to weight loss if you can handle the self discipline of eating from very few options.

Green Squall

its been tough but i have dropped 10 pounds in 2 months just by eliminating carbs and sugar from my diet. unfortunately it has reduced my eating options significantly. i eat pretty much just meat an a lot of vegetables. very boring and hard to commit to. my main reason is attempting to reduce inflammation and shed weight but so far the only benefit has been losing weight. i was also hoping for some of that mental clarity they speak of but i have yet to notice any of that. i agree that it should only be done for a certain period of time.

You should look into the SCD Diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet).
Having inflammation issues myself, its really helped, although I fucking miss potatoes lol.
Have you tried fermenting vegetables?
It makes things a lot less boring and the probiotics are a plus, not to mention its easier to digest.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Similar to SCD, my practitioner suggested AIP autoimmune protocol. The AIP diet is a version of the Paleo diet, designed to help treat automimmune diseases. Also known as the paleo autoimmune protocol, the AIP diet is a much stricter version of the Paleo diet (which is based on meat, fish, vegetables, nuts and seeds).

Seems to help....avoiding inflammatory foods (anything white, legumes night shades), it helps.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cross reference it with food choices by blood type. You'll find the foods causing you inflammation and other issues are on your 'avoid' list. ;)

The information is not readily clear on how important your body pH is. There is also very little information on including your parent's blood types with your choices. A food which is avoid for the blood type of one parent, may turn that food from neutral to avoid for you. Often times your body pH will be the determining factor.

My wife and I have been working with this method of choosing our foods for over 10 years now. It has worked famously for everyone who's used it the way we've explained.

Incorrect food choices can have a drastic impact on your health. Even "healthy" choices by most standards. My wife gained 45lbs in 2 months eating the Atkin's diet. Chicken, salad, low-cal dressing and fish. She's the "B" blood type and the chicken and salad dressing oils were killing her. Crazy.

Choosing your foods by your blood type is the only 'diet' I've ever seen where you can literally eat as much neutral/beneficial foods as you want, and it's still 'normal' to lose or gain 2-3lbs a week, depending on what your body needs. People use this method to gain healthy body mass as well. :)

ButterflyEffect

Be very careful with Keto. My wife went on it for medical reasons and it caused more problems than it solved. Apparently, it's quite common to have digestive issues after the fact, as we found out.

If you go out of ketosis at all, you risk up-ending all of your gains. Not to mention the complete avoidance of carbs was a deal killer.

Unless your Dr insists that you need to be on it, I'd steer clear. Just my 2 cents.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks i do alternate day fasting since july and added low carb/ keto over the time. Went down from ~120kg/264 pounds to 103kg/227 pounds. My final goal is 90kg/198 pounds but i will cut down fasting days and add more acttivity to achieve that.

i met a lot of people that did alternate day fasting with good results and i often start eating in the evening when its a busy day so it was easy to just add some hours fasting for me.

I really like the enhanced sensitivity for food you get from fasting. On one of my eating day i got very bad reaction to 500ml vanilla coke with bad tasting hickups and feeling hungover afterwards.
when i drink coke zero on a fasting day it triggers my digestive system and i got tummy rumbles.
It took me some time to adjust to the taste but now i drink most of the time water with apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt-the salt also helps turn down the sour taste(~ one sealing cap vinegar per liter)

I tried the adf some years ago and kept my lower weight for more than a year but my eating habits were bad and i didn't change them so my weight finally came back.
adding keto/low carbs also enhanced my sensitivity for carbs and further helped with weight loss.

Latest posts

Latest posts