What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We need a Consumers Report entity for seeds

bigAl25

Veteran
Since there are just too damn many different seeds and breeders available for us to purchase, I now propose that a Consumers Reports type of company is established to evaluate all the seeds out there and how reliable and potent the finished product ends up. The choices of what seeds to purchase for your next grow is just overwhelming. Many may say that's a good thing, but if an evaluation entity rated the seed product like Consumers reports it would help many home growers narrow down and pick more appropriate strains for their needs. Leafly and a few other sites evaluate the final product on potency, taste, effects. But there are so many breeders for one particular strain, that picking the best breeder of seeds for that strain is difficult. Unless you read this whole website. Just a thought and maybe we will get there in the future. I use consumer reports to purchase my autos, appliances, lawn tractors, computers, etc. Purchase decisions for my seeds are just as important and I have sadly not made the right decision every time. But on occasion I have nailed it. :tiphat:

Malato

Does seed finder list if the seeds have high hermaphrodite tendency and such? It's seems like mostly they just list the lineage.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm not sure something like this is possible, just because of the sheer number of breeders and the huge inconsistencies in some seed lines. Consumer Reports buys all their tested items themselves and funds it through selling subscriptions to users, that way they can guarantee they aren't given a cherry picked product. A weed equivalent would need to buy hundreds if not thousands of different types of seeds and all run them in virtually identical grows to remove phenotype changes. Even then how do you guarantee that Batch A of Strain X bought from Vendor Y will perform the same way as Batch B of Strain X bought from Vendor Z?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
That is what this and other forums are for. In order to have a truly honest and non biased review on seeds it would require a large facility perfectly dialed and constantly testing things like germ rates and hermi tendencies.

Just not the same as a non biased review on electronics or a new bike.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's called ICmag - but the nut huggers and fan boys who lost all objectivity because they got something for free or are trying to hype a brand, dilute the reviewing process.

It's the lack of honesty and the constant clawing to get to the top of the money pile that has hurt the process. The lack of transparency.

I'm still trying not to be butt hurt the Chiquita Banana cut tastes absolutely NOTHING AT ALL like the 3 dozen or so people that hyped her up claimed she did. It taste absolutely NOTHING AT ALL like banana. Not green unripe banana. Not ripe banana. Not candy runts banana. Not artificial nasty ice cream banana. Nope. Nothing like banana remotely at all.

I'm really kind of disappointed I spent 4 years with the idea it might be something special in the back of my mind because those pushing a label and trying to build a brand decided it was more important than the TRUTH.

Also, those who said it was just a relabeled OrgnKid Banana OG - I don't think it's that either. That cut has much more head to it than the CB does. I'm not saying the CB is bad smoke, it just isn't remotely banana.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Malato

It's called ICmag - but the nut huggers and fan boys who lost all objectivity because they got something for free or are trying to hype a brand, dilute the reviewing process.

It's the lack of honesty and the constant clawing to get to the top of the money pile that has hurt the process. The lack of transparency.

I'm still trying not to be butt hurt the Chiquita Banana cut tastes absolutely NOTHING AT ALL like the 3 dozen or so people that hyped her up claimed she did. It taste absolutely NOTHING AT ALL like banana. Not green unripe banana. Not ripe banana. Not candy runts banana. Not artificial nasty ice cream banana. Nope. Nothing like banana remotely at all.

I'm really kind of disappointed I spent 4 years with the idea it might be something special in the back of my mind because those pushing a label and trying to build a brand decided it was more important than the TRUTH.

Also, those who said it was just a relabeled OrgnKid Banana OG - I don't think it's that either. That cut has much more head to it than the CB does. I'm not saying the CB is bad smoke, it just isn't remotely banana.

dank.Frank

Preach brother !

MintyMick

Does seed finder list if the seeds have high hermaphrodite tendency and such? It's seems like mostly they just list the lineage.

It does not list if the strains have hermaphrodite tendencies. Most of the description information is straight from the breeders and it matches the seedbanks selling the breeders seeds exactly.

BUT!

They do sometimes have grow reports uploaded that give a somewhat fair approximation of their opinion. Emphasis on “their opinion.”

Of course it could be grow reports from trolls or overly enthusiastic fanboys so you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Hashishh

Given the variations from seeds it's almost impossible to give a Consumer Type report on them. When you think of genetics, even with stable lines you never get even close to 100% consistency.

There's way too many variables to factor in to something like this. General reviews such as those on forums like IC and others is the best way to go about it.

It's like giving a consumer report on dog breeding lines.

Americangrower

Veteran
So lets start a thread right here. If every1 just gives an honest evaluation of what they have grow lately then this thread will blow up with valuable information.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Given the variations from seeds it's almost impossible to give a Consumer Type report on them. When you think of genetics, even with stable lines you never get even close to 100% consistency.

There's way too many variables to factor in to something like this. General reviews such as those on forums like IC and others is the best way to go about it.

It's like giving a consumer report on dog breeding lines.

Yes, it would be good, however, everyone is individual on taste, sensation, experience with cannabis.

Maybe a chart with sections: Strain, regular, fem, hermaphroditic, potency, total weight, check boxes for terpenes, and rate them on a scale of 1-10.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I chopped 5 Tommy Chong's L A Amnesia the other day. Just waiting for them to dry and cure. This is the best weed I have found in a long time. It keeps you fucked up for quite a time. Got Jack Herrer just starting to flower. This is good weed also. I would say the high is similar to L A Amnesia.

LungCooking

not everyone knows how to grow a plant 100% healthy, some overfeed, others underfeed, that changes whole game in terms of smell... phenos from plant come up depending on the enviroment, so if someones grows x in South Africa and grows x in North America will have different results.. growing under high humidity, growing under low humidity.. at the end one´s review is not same as the other review.. so wont be accurate, Will only give you a direction in my opinion

Last edited:

gladysvjubb

Veteran
March 2018. I ordered 10 Amnesia Fem from these guys. https://www.growerschoiceseeds.com/ I tried to germinate the way they recommend. 2 seeds germed and went on to grow quite nicely and produced some good smoke. 8 were duds. Jan 2019. I figured I would try them again. I ordered 5 Critical Purple Fem. Not one seed germinated after following their instructions to a tee. I will never use them again.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Seed Finder is just user reports, so if no one's grown it, you don't get a smoke report or review.

The old Strainbase from OG never really came back, the new overgrow.com doesn't have it, and people dont' seem that interested in posting strain reviews anymore. Leafly sucks IMO because you don't even know if the weed being reviewed is the correct strain

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Before a Consumers Report can be made accurately we need to clean up the seed game.

How can anybody be expected to report, accurately, about a bunch of jumbled up genetics that are not worked for any traits in particular.
1:1 crosses made using multi-poly hybrid lines does not an F1 make.
How can anything as jumbled up as cannabis genetics be accurately evaluated?

When I go and get a pack of Black Krim tomato seeds and germinate them...
Guess what tho resulting fruits are? That's right... They're Black Krim tomatoes!
Such is NOT the case with cannabis seeds.

bigAl25

Veteran
First off I want to thank everyone for the input.
Aridbud, I like your suggestion and approach. The chart with categories and rating scale would do the trick.
Weird, Did you document your 2013 concept on here. I'd love to look it over.
Tycho, Yes you are correct that only rates the seller of seeds , not the seeds themselves.

I sit here pondering the dilemma , Do I accept the reduction in yield for the autos, or do I revert back to fem seeds and top them during veg and get plants twice as tall and large.

There are just too fucking many seed options out there to roll the dice on. I could read every grow report on this site, but that leaves me no time for golf, sex, grilling, seeing friends, spending time with my wife, children, friends and grand kids, smoking meats and ganja, vacations in Negril and Colorado, seeing old time rock bands, going to Cardinals games and my second bladder cancer operation.

I do want to shout out to the breeders that have delivered a wonderful seed product that I've grown and the final product properly cured in mason jars buzzed the hell out of me and friends: Thanks Nirvana, Og rascal, and Connosieur genetics. The seeds I purchased from you guys delivered in spades. They were fem seeds in organic soil under two 400 watt lamps( MH and HPS).