What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AAA Safety Foundation Finds No Scientific Basis That THC In Blood Impairs Driving

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Nevermind the fact that there are 60 million (as of 2011) prescriptions for sleeping pills in the U.S. that basically turn people into zombies. They're cool.

JimmyToucan

Not that I'd advocate getting ripped out of your gourd and tooling around on the open road, but as a regular and frequent smoker if I've had a couple of nips off the pipe I'm much more conscious when driving. Paranoid? Maybe, but not clawing at the windows loopy. I make damn sure I don't go a tick over the speed limit and keep my eyes peeled for anything and everything. Sure, dead sober I'm more relaxed but I wouldn't say definitively that that's a good thing.

Back to the point of the the thread, it's good at this is being taken into consideration. Don't know how far it will get, but you can't assume that having some THC left in your bloodstream presents a danger in any and all cases. As mentioned earlier, this is low hanging fruit for the bozos in blue to haul you off and put the screws to you. As legalization or even decriminalization becomes more common it presents a pretty big loss in revenue for police departments and municipalities.

EvergreenState

The first time I saw the big signs on interstates in Ohio and Indiana that said that buzzed driving is the same as drunk driving, I knew the hardcore rednecks were overreacting and creating yet another reason to bust pot users.

I know for a fact, unless I'm really blitzed, that I drive BETTER when I'm high. I'm more focused, I follow the rules of the road better, I drive the speed limit, which I don't do when I'm straight and I generally pay more attention.

Do you think this info. from AAA will change what these states do? Oh hell no. Rednecks are some thick mother fuckers, stubborn as hell and most importantly, they like to punish people; they get off on it.

watts

ohms
Veteran
The first time I saw the big signs on interstates in Ohio and Indiana that said that buzzed driving is the same as drunk driving, I knew the hardcore rednecks were overreacting and creating yet another reason to bust pot users.

I know for a fact, unless I'm really blitzed, that I drive BETTER when I'm high. I'm more focused, I follow the rules of the road better, I drive the speed limit, which I don't do when I'm straight and I generally pay more attention.

Do you think this info. from AAA will change what these states do? Oh hell no. Rednecks are some thick mother fuckers, stubborn as hell and most importantly, they like to punish people; they get off on it.

I believe those signs are for people who drive buzzed on a bit of alcohol but just enough to put them over the legal limit. A lot of people that cops pull over say they had a couple beers and were a little buzzed but not drunk. So they are letting people know that buzzed driving is drunk driving.

brown_thumb

I believe those signs are for people who drive buzzed on a bit of alcohol but just enough to put them over the legal limit. A lot of people that cops pull over say they had a couple beers and were a little buzzed but not drunk. So they are letting people know that buzzed driving is drunk driving.

+1

i have hard read alot text. Sorry if i go offtopic maybe ?

I anyway want say how i have it.

I love cars, i drive alot cars.

THC
i have this always because i need medicine this.

Without im very dangerous and angry, depressed, stressed.

I never drive car after i smoke for about 8-12h

I Need drive day after i smoke.
this is not a problem at all.

Before i got angry other drivers, sometimes i chase them
and almost beat up them for no reasons almost.

Today i am extra carefull and i respect all drivers others.
I dont need rush , i dont have any more stress problems.

Now i am best driver .
I love all other drivers, what ever happens i always help.

Before i was very dangerous driver.
I feel sorry for people i chase and almost beat up because of simple things.

Peace all
Today im very kind driver and nice always !
THC and CBD makes big difference 4 me .
Let me have it.
And you all are safe always ! in traffic also .
This is truth only

PEACE AND LOVE

brown_thumb

i have hard read alot text. Sorry if i go offtopic maybe ?

I anyway want say how i have it.

I love cars, i drive alot cars.

THC
i have this always because i need medicine this.

Without im very dangerous and angry, depressed, stressed.

I never drive car after i smoke for about 8-12h

I Need drive day after i smoke.
this is not a problem at all.

Before i got angry other drivers, sometimes i chase them
and almost beat up them for no reasons almost.

Today i am extra carefull and i respect all drivers others.
I dont need rush , i dont have any more stress problems.

Now i am best driver .
I love all other drivers, what ever happens i always help.

Before i was very dangerous driver.
I feel sorry for people i chase and almost beat up because of simple things.

Peace all
Today im very kind driver and nice always !
THC and CBD makes big difference 4 me .
Let me have it.
And you all are safe always ! in traffic also .
This is truth only

PEACE AND LOVE

Thank you for your honesty. It seems marijuana helps with your logic/anger issues. That's good!! Please don't be worried by my next question. Have you investigated bipolar issues... nothing to be worried about... just treated properly.

White Beard

Interesting piece, Shaggy - and props to AAA for having the guts to make that call: if TRIPLE-A says laws against driving stoned and impossible/meaningless, you can bet they’ve got the numbers nailed down. They’re putting the organization’s reputation and future on the line by doing this.

The conversation over “driving while cannabinated” seems to *always* break down into two points of view: new cannabists and old (experienced).

The argument of the new is that they get wobbly/floppy when the get high, and they think that would be A Bad Idea behind the wheel, they think it would be irresponsible to even make no comment on the topic.

The argument of the new is that with time and experience, one can genuinely master their cannabis use, to the point of doing complex and/or dangerous things - like driving, like cooking (hot things and sharp metal!), like weight lifting (requires attention and HEAVY), like going to class, like fixing or making things - not only safely but smoothly, elegantly, and with far greater attention than they’d have had available to them before they hit the pipe.

Both groups are right, and coming down with a full-body headrush behind the wheel is in fact a bad idea. Where the group breaks is where the new decide that the experienced are careless, lazy, inconsiderate, and dangerous. These folks haven’t got enough cannabinoids on the regular to even begin to understand that “getting” high isn’t even the point, BEING high is the point.

Once one begins to slack off on the rushes, one begins to get a sense of what being high is actually like. I find it to be an enormously productive and powerful state in many areas of life.

So much so, that given the choice between high and not, I’ll pretty much take high every time. I have raised solid, capable, achieving children, I have been a pillar of the community, I’ve had a handful of careers and am qualified for a half-dozen more, I am vibrantly healthy for my age (~70), I haven’t had an accident in more than 30 years, or a ticket. This is why adjust altitude before I leave and not on the way: I know I’m prone to those full-body headrushes I mentioned, because experience has taught me that, and I *know* beyond doubt I can’t drive while that’s going on...but I know when I’m good to go: locked into the program of getting to Place A while displaying textbook driving skills.

I know for a fact I’m not alone in this at all: being high is a manageable and productive state for many people - maybe even most people here - once you get there.

Until then, if you’re going to get stoned, don’t drive, right?

EsterEssence

Veteran
There is a thread in the news section that says cannabis users are twice as likely to get into an accident, and here they are saying there is no scientific proof that cannabis impairs driving. Is it two different AAA’s or does it show the right hand doesn’t what the left is doing?

White Beard

This article/study is from AAA’s national safety foundation: the other is a separate study commissioned by the state AAA in Florida. I blame Florida Man...

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Just another way for the MAN to keep the confusion and Babylon workin and ruling the day. Lies-Fear and Confusion, it's how America works these days.

shaggyballs

Veteran
https://druglibrary.net/olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha01118.html

Marijuana and driving ability

After alcohol, Cannabis is the drug which is found most often in the blood of drivers involved in road accidents. The effects of THC, the major psychoactive component of Cannabis, on driving ability have been investigated by Dr. H.W.J. Robbe at the Institute of Human Psychopharmacology of the University of Limburg in Maastricht, The Netherlands.
In his PhD thesis, "Influence of Marijuana on Driving" (available through the IHA), which Robbe defended on May 26, he concludes that marijuana is not a safe drug in traffic. After using marijuana drivers were less able to drive in a straight line. However, compared to the effects of alcohol and many medicines (antidepressants and sedatives) on driving ability, the effects of marijuana are not exceptional.
The use of a moderate amount of marijuana did not affect driving ability, but the drivers thought their ability had been negatively affected. The use of a moderate amount of alcohol had a negative effect on driving ability, while the drivers thought their performance had not been affected.
The use of alcohol seems to stimulate risky behaviour, whereas the use of marijuana leads to a more prudent driving style.

brown_thumb

I'll tell you in all honesty... I KNOW I'm impaired if I'm truly stoned. So I don't drive stoned. A little bit is okay for me but three or four beers is too. It's not the what. It's the how much.