What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'The fungus that supresses spider mites'

O

OKD

Reading this 'Successful Farming' magazine from the friendly local library, April 2013 issue, and this article 'Weather, Pests, and Diseases,' has a caption, on p.28:
"SPIDER MITE
During a drought, the fungus that suppresses this bug is itself suppressed, allowing a mite population explosion to occur."

The only other mention is on p.30:
"There was another telling feature of the spider mite invasion. The fungus that attacks them (and keeps the mite population in control) was suppressed due to dry weather."

This may have nothing to do with growing cannabis but it was the first I've heard of this killer fungus! I did a quick fruitless search but wanted to share and learn.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see various reports of different species of Neozygites working on different mites on different plants, Im trying to research further.

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.certisusa.com/pest_management_products/bioinsecticide/pfr-97_microbial_insecticide.htm

"Paecilomyces fumosoroseus, the active ingredient in PFR97, is a naturally occurring soil fungus that infects several insect pests, including whitefly, aphid, thrips and spider mites. Under proper environmental conditions, spores of the fungus attach to and penetrate the cuticle of the insect pest. The fungus grows inside the insect causing its death. The fungus then emerges from the dead insect to release more spores to infect other insects. "

Looks good, if you try it let us know how it goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paecilomyces_fumosoroseus

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Has anybody ever tried the parasitic fungus beauvaria bassiana on spider mites, I know it works on a bunch of other pests?