What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Tobacco Juice" for Root Aphids / Mites / Phylloxera

Ok, so I've got the fucking root aphids. looked at them under a disecting scope they do appears to be phylloxera proper and not an aphid.

Everyone says to use Imidacloprid, the active in Bayer tree and shrub and several others. Problem is, its a systemic that's suppose to "protect" your plants for 12 months! I'm going to be harvesting in less than 3 and there is no way I want to smoke that shit.

So: tobacco juice. recommended for treating soil dwelling bugs, problem is nailing down a recipe. Its all over the fucking place with advice, most of it saying just 'put the juice on there' - not the most precise advice. So here is my situation and the recipe I'm using. We'll see if it kill the bugs or my plants:

I'm growing in 60% hydroton 40% coco coir, using canna nutes. They are in a 5 in 5 gallon bucket setup with the inner bucket having a bunch of holes and being lined with cocotek mat to keep the 'kibble' in. The bottom bucket has a 3/4 inch drain hole that goes to waste. Nutes are about 50% strength, going to 75% at some point in mid flower. The plants are about 2 1/2 feet tall, all Mendocino hash plant w/ vertical lighting. They are just about to enter flower cycle.

The recipe I'm using is: 6 oz natural cigarette tobacco (about 2 to 3 cubs I'd say) in 2 gallons boiling water. Steep 4+ hours then strain out the 'baccy. Top up to 2 gallons.

For application, put 42 ounces of the juice into 1.5 gallons water, top up to 2 gallons and mix. Apply 2 gallons thusly prepared to each plant, trying to flood the entire pot without spilling kibble and tobacco juice all over the grow room.

Hope to god you don't kill the plants.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Any helpful thoughts would be wonderful. Also, sorry that this is a repost but there seems to be a lack of information on the subject and its somewhat urgent...
-peace.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I've used it in the past and didn't kill any plants. I used it as a foliar spray though for spider mites, which it did kill, though it did not kill the eggs. I had to use a multi-type approach. Maybe you should too. Don't rely on just one thing, make damn sure.

Thank you magiccannabus... Are the ratios I lay out there similar to what you used? I've used naturalis L, neem oil, pyganic, azatol and azamax. Very limited success with those methods. Now considering ADDING tobacco juice (nicotine) and may be trying 120* water flushing on some I'm not going to keep, of course.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
peace,
-

Ok, it worked. In the end I did something around 1-2 ounces of tobacco per plant in a 5 gallon bucket. The tobacco was i n 2 gallons of water. I also put GoGnats (a cedar oil product) therm-X (yucca extract) einstein oil (neem) and in one case spinosad. I've only seen one survivor, and I have a theory that that section of that plant may not have gotten a great of coverage as some other spots. But that's down from 'their amassing at the top rim of the pots" level of infestation.

Effective.

I noticed some slight yellowing in some leaves, but nothing that got me worried.

Safe.

Peace,
-gwg

attila76

Tobacco

Tobacco

Did this work for long enough?

I had the same problem in RDWC-hydroton/5gallon system.

Used 6 oz of tobacco in 5 gallon bucket with 3 1/2 gallons H20. I poked small holes in the bag to make it like a tea bag and dropped it in the treatment bucket with an airstone. Left each plant in the bucket for over 8 hours.

Many died, and many continued to live. maybe 50/50.

I then tested the longer term scenario with a little water and a sample of the treated Phylloxera in a zip-lock baggie. A week later they were still kicking.

Sufficed to say that even after treatments high doses of Azamaz/Azatrol (1oz per gallon!) I realized that these evil beasts were "super-resistant" and not manageable.

So I clear cut my little forest.

Here is how to win this battle- No plants + Bleach= future bountiful harvests. Fight them and get crappy returns.

Kill them all and move on. If that sounds too painful to contemplate, consider this: I have a wife and child to feed from this and no other source of income.

Thats how sure I am about this

Attila76

Latest posts

Latest posts