What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Hmmm, that wasn't too hard...
Anyway here's a bong I built in the hills of Jamaica back in 1972... It was my
first trip there at age 18. Took me 2 1/2 months and 4 boats to get there.
I was determined to get to the source...

dddaver

Veteran
I know my old-ass eyes are bad, but I'm doing a Sergeant Schultz here, "I see nothing, nothing!" :biggrin:

My connections slow too though. Is anything there?

Back in the 80's I made one out of a Military Gas Mask, it was kickass. You learn to improvise when you don't have something, or possibly it was the good shit we were smoking in Norfolk. FLASHBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

azez

Veteran
grafix was an arizona company back in the day
they have since folded

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 37

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
There they are. But mine was simpler and without tubes. Just a plain little red one with just 1 base instead of 2. I smoked some Purple Skunk out of it that was grow in the Original Phototron that knocked my ass through a loop.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I know my old-ass eyes are bad, but I'm doing a Sergeant Schultz here, "I see nothing, nothing!" :biggrin:

My connections slow too though. Is anything there?

Well dddaver, it WAS there.. I promise... now it's just a red X...
Maybe one of you younger, computer guys can tell me
what happened to the picture I posted....:tumbleweed:

Sportster

FULL TILT BOOGIE...
1978 (and earlier..)

1978 (and earlier..)

Welp- I ran across this cool thread, I looked thru page one and skipped straight to the last page (here) and I thought to myself..."what were bongs like, way back when.." I seem to remember when there was no such thing as "bongs"..all we have back then was water pipes, wooden pipes, brass bats and Zigzags....of course there was always the creative ones using apples, alumin cans, toilet paper rolls and tin foil, and GOD knows WTF else....I saw my 1st bong in 1978, and bought it, I took it with us to the Drive Inn (sorry kids..thats another thread :tiphat: ) and after using it a couple times, I forgot all about it on the floorboard of my truck, and kicked it out the door, smashing it all to peices....pissssssed me off, the next day I went and bought its twin brother which I still have today.....The other "toys" in the pic are pre-78 and my tools before the bong days, or at least my bong days...I know I still have my "Glass Head" water pipe somewhere, I just couldn't find it when I took this shot about last year....maybe I was going to post on this thread after all....ROF...and just spaced it out??...:tumbleweed:

Anywho....Onward Thru the Fog!!

Attachments

• Found_88313591_874691.jpg
    Found_88313591_874691.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 37

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
OK, here it is

OK, here it is

Well, I figured out how to get the pic up here..
I built this bong in 1972, while I was hanging out in
the hills of Jamaica...

Attachments

• Big Bongx.jpg
    Big Bongx.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 40

Sportster

FULL TILT BOOGIE...
I think my all time fav-O-rite bong bar none, was a 24" Bamboo Bong...problem was they stunk after a week of hard usage, and mine eventually split!!..was lined with some kind of paraffin/wax of some sort so the bamboo wasn't actually exposed to the water, which made it smell after awhile..and I guess didn't help, it still cracked, and I never saw another one since...lasted about a year of everyday useage, not bad for 15 bux (circa 1979-80) :tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The bong worked really well, can you see how green-faced it got me? LOL
The rhastamon I stayed with in the hills had a pipe of his own that was called
a "chalise". It was basically a water pipe built with a coconut shell to hold the water. with a 3/4 inch X 12 inch piece of bamboo for the stem. The bowl was handmade from clay and held about 1/2 ounce of the "collie" .. He was having a new one built for him while I was there, that had a one ounce bowl... When he received the new pipe, he gave me the
old 1/2 ouncer... I still have it somewhere if I can just remember where it is....

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Must be a huge bowl brotha:biggrin:

It IS a big bowl brotha!
I got to looking thru the attic and found some of the parts to it.
(Along with parts to a "steamer", which is an old school version of what you call a "vape". That was given to me by another rhasta man I knew, in the late 70's, on my 3rd trip to Land of Jah...but that's another story)
If I can find all the parts, I'll post another pic...
PS. One of the parts I found was the clay bowl,, sorry, I was mistaken, the OLD chalise the rhastamon gave ME was just a
1/4 oz. bowl, not 1/2 oz.. But I do remember that the new clay bowl HE got was big enough to drop a tennis ball more than halfway into it.....

xoch

company started out as tokemaster then had to change the name to tobacco master.goggle tobacco master an you will see the pics.2nd generation tokemaster lol