Similar to https://www.today.com/health/family-...hy-son-t115183
Medical Examiners Unable To Say If Cannabis Was Cause of Death
Weed Ended Up Killing Their 22-Year-Old Son
A number of factors inhibit research on marijuana, including ongoing federal prohibition and problems with the quality of the cannabis used in official studies.
Even so, a number of studies have identified promising therapeutic and medicinal qualities of cannabis. And of course, thousands of people have said they’ve found success self-medicating with marijuana.
But there is also a body of research that highlights the dangers of cannabis use, especially for young adults and teenagers. At just 22 years old, Michael Ziobros may have been especially at risk.
But the medical examiner who found THC in Michael’s blood, Dr. Junaid Shaikh, told Today that he was unable to determine for sure whether or not cannabis killed the young man. In his report, the examiner noted that there just isn’t enough information about the effects of cannabis on the heart.
Importantly, one recent study does point to higher cardiovascular risks for cannabis users. According to Barbara Yankey and her team at Georgia State University, people who used cannabis had a threefold higher risk of dying from high blood pressure.
Parents Say Weed Ended Up Killing Their 22-Year-Old Son
Despite the inconclusive evidence, the Ziobros remain convinced their son died due to smoking extremely potent cannabis.
As such, they are unsatisfied with the explanation by the Union County Medical Examiner.
However, Dr. Shaikh did recommend in a letter to New Jersey state senator Thomas Kean that the Ziobros consider cardiovascular genetic testing to rule out possible hereditary causes for the arrhythmia that killed their son.
The Ziobros plan to follow that advice. But the Ziobros also hope that their tragic story will encourage others to take a closer look at the risks of using cannabis.
They knew their son used marijuana to treat his irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. And like him, they believed it was safe. “He just thought it was natural and organic and it ended up killing him,” said Kristina Ziobro.
That's what I saw..... take it or leave it. It's possible.