What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana damaged teenagers brains more than alcohol study finds

iBogart

Veteran
So here we go...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ins-more-than-alcohol-study-finds/1539574002/

Marijuana use may pose a greater risk to the developing brains of teenagers than alcohol consumption, according to a new study this week.

The analysis, published Wednesday in the American Journal of Psychiatry, found that cannabis had greater short and long-term consequences than alcohol on four key components of teens' memory. The finding greatly surprised researchers.

"We initially suspected alcohol would have a bigger effect," Patricia Conrod, lead author and professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal told USA TODAY.

Researchers looked at four cognitive functions: Problem solving, long-term memory, short-term memory manipulation and the ability to stop a habitual behavior when needed. Marijuana had "significant" negative effects on all four, while the study could not tie alcohol to negative effects, Conrod said.

However, alcohol's effects may be greater as teens drink more later in life, Conrod said.

Authors examined nearly 4,000 students in the Montreal region over four years, starting when the average participant was about 13 years old.

The students took yearly memory tests and self-reported their alcohol and marijuana use. Those reports were kept confidential "unless such information indicated imminent risk of harm," authors wrote.

By the fourth year, three-quarters of the students had consumed alcohol at least occasionally, while only about 30 percent of participants had used marijuana. But the study observed more daily marijuana users than alcohol users, Conrod said.

The study found some of marijuana's negative effects were short-term, while others were lasting.

A particularly troubling finding: Young cannabis users may cause long-term damage to a brain function associated with substance abuse.

When studying response inhibition — that's an individual's ability to change their actions to help meet a goal — researchers found that teens using marijuana caused long-term damage to their brains.
Conrod said that finding may help explain a previously "perplexing" phenomenon: Young cannabis users have been shown to be at a greater risk for addiction later in life.

Sign

Wonder if they ever considered the teenaged brains that were damaged to the point of system failure as a direct complication of ethanol overdose, or the myriad other ways they've been damaged that can be linked directly to overconsumption?

Probably not.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Somehow my grades went up when I started smoking weed in high school. Probably had something to do with being less stressed all the time and being able to get a full nights rest.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
The BBC way over reached on this one:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 1.29.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 1.29.19 AM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 23

troutman

Seed Whore
Was there a study that proved that kids had a better overall memory and coordination
playing video games like Mario World and knew where Mario hide all the mushrooms?

I bet kids do better than adults in saving Princess Peach from Bowser. :laughing:

therevverend

Veteran
USAToday. Not BBC.

Looks like they both published the same crappy article thus the confusion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45732911

USA Today is horrible it's worse then the BBC.

I wouldn't recommend using alcohol or marijuana daily before turning 18. Growing brains are sensitive producing all sorts of hormones and chemicals that science doesn't understand yet. Plus there's so much other crazy shit going on in your life after you hit puberty drugs can be a bit much for some people.

The recklessness of youth can mean bad judgement calls that affect you for the rest of your life. Like getting drunk with your friends and raping girls at parties...

The author really had to stretch reality to heap all the effects on weed but not the alcohol. How did he separate the harm from each when the test subjects were using both?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No shit eh?

How were the effects separated?

The reporting on this study is flawed according to at least one of the authors and... as reported... the study is flawed.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Same old same old. You can get grants to study harm but no money for scientific studies.

Having said that, I'd rather my kids wait until after post secondary. It's just time to focus on studying. Work now, play later.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
So here we go...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ins-more-than-alcohol-study-finds/1539574002/

Marijuana use may pose a greater risk to the developing brains of teenagers than alcohol consumption, according to a new study this week.

The analysis, published Wednesday in the American Journal of Psychiatry, found that cannabis had greater short and long-term consequences than alcohol on four key components of teens' memory. The finding greatly surprised researchers.

"We initially suspected alcohol would have a bigger effect," Patricia Conrod, lead author and professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal told USA TODAY.

Researchers looked at four cognitive functions: Problem solving, long-term memory, short-term memory manipulation and the ability to stop a habitual behavior when needed. Marijuana had "significant" negative effects on all four, while the study could not tie alcohol to negative effects, Conrod said.

However, alcohol's effects may be greater as teens drink more later in life, Conrod said.

Authors examined nearly 4,000 students in the Montreal region over four years, starting when the average participant was about 13 years old.

The students took yearly memory tests and self-reported their alcohol and marijuana use. Those reports were kept confidential "unless such information indicated imminent risk of harm," authors wrote.

By the fourth year, three-quarters of the students had consumed alcohol at least occasionally, while only about 30 percent of participants had used marijuana. But the study observed more daily marijuana users than alcohol users, Conrod said.

The study found some of marijuana's negative effects were short-term, while others were lasting.

A particularly troubling finding: Young cannabis users may cause long-term damage to a brain function associated with substance abuse.

When studying response inhibition — that's an individual's ability to change their actions to help meet a goal — researchers found that teens using marijuana caused long-term damage to their brains.
Conrod said that finding may help explain a previously "perplexing" phenomenon: Young cannabis users have been shown to be at a greater risk for addiction later in life.
The author of that article should have been 'in' on the study himself. Without first hand 'experiences' he'd be trusting the words of a buncha stoners and drunks.. either are the best at memory.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I was a very poorly behaved kids before smoking weed. I feel it did for me what the ritalin was supposed too. May have prevented me from ending up in prison or dead.

dddaver

Veteran
I saw that and didn't feel it was worth posting or commenting on. But...

As having a career in a scientific field, this data mining calling itself a "scientific study" is very annoying. It's not. That shit is pounded into your head in school, what exactly constitutes a scientific study. One big thing is being reproducible. No way.

Then this "study" was in Montreal, Canada with 4000 records mined. Of which only 30% smoked weed. Representative. No.

Then they looked for specific conclusions even before their "non-experiment". Science draws conclusions after data gathering. Not before.

This very full of holes. No one should think this has anything to do with reality but is some propagandized garbage to sell somebody's jaded agenda. Again, this is data mining only and from very unrepresentative poorly designed subject matter.

Now...back to the show.

Latest posts

Latest posts