What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane Florence Floods Florida Beaches With Bundles of Marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A 911 call to Volusia County sheriffs on Thursday said it all: "We're at Jungle Hut (Park) and a huge bundle of drugs or something just washed up on the beach and there are people like fighting over it."
Law enforcement along Florida's central coast claim they recovered about 100 pounds of plastic wrapped weed that washed onto area beaches over the past two days. And that's not counting parcels that less upstanding members of the community may have absconded with before officers arrived.
Pot From Heaven
Based on all times and locations the bud bundles were discovered, St. Johns Commander Chuck Mulligan speculated, "these are probably all part of the same shipment. The question is, where did they go into the water?" Given the weather and currents, officials guessed they could've floated from as far south as Puerto Rico. "There's a plethora of possibilities," Mulligan said, regarding how the pot packages got into the water: the shipment could have come from a capsized boat, a missed drug drop from an airplane to a pickup boat, or tossed from transporters being tracked by the Coast Guard.
Marijuana packages were also washing up in Volusia County. "This type of thing occurs a few times a year," Captain Tamra Malphurs said, "and we do not know where it came from."
Finders Keepers?
In case Sunshine State residents needed a reminder, recreational weed remains illegal in the state. And 61-year-old Robert Kelley got pinched trying to purloin one of the ocean-soaked parcels from the Jungle Hut. Flagler Sheriff Rick Staly called Kelley's was "another great example of 'See Something, Say Something' ... thanks to the joint effort of our citizens' watchful eyes and good police work these narcotics are off the streets. To anyone thinking they can take advantage of marijuana washing up on shore I have a warning for you. Is it worth a trip to the Green Roof Inn charged with a felony just for some 'free' weed?"
We'll leave that up to you beachgoers to decide.
https://blogs.findlaw.com/legally_weird/2018/09/hurricane-florence-floods-florida-beaches-with-bundles-of-marijuana.html

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tourists Picking Up 26-Lb. Bricks of Marijuana Washing Up on Florida Beaches After Hurricane Florence
An unusual form of debris has been washing up along Florida’s beaches after Hurricane Florence: bricks of Marijuana.
Over the last few days, numerous twelve-kilogram (26 lbs.) packages of the drug have washed ashore in Daytona Beach and the surrounding area, the Washington Post reports. While their appearance is likely do to the ocean being churned up by the storm, which made landfall September 14, it’s unclear where exactly they came from.
The bundles have unsurprisingly created major issues for local law enforcement, as tourists try to scoop them up. Not only is possession of marijuana, even in small amounts, illegal in the state, but its presence has led to physical fights among beachgoers.
According to a release from the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office shared on Thursday, “packages of marijuana have been washing up on the beaches in St. Johns, Flagler and Volusia counties” in the past two days.
One man was arrested after he “was seen attempting to open the packaging and take packages of marijuana. Others were attempting to do the same thing,” according to the release.
The Post shared what transpired on the 911 call that seemingly resulted in the arrest. “We’re at Jungle Hut (Park) and a huge bundle of drugs or something just washed up on the beach and there are people like fighting over it,” the caller says. “There’s like seven or eight people out here, and they’re all like huddling up against it, and my dad’s trying to take it so that you guys can have it all.”
https://people.com/home/tourists-pi...-on-florida-beaches-after-hurricane-florence/

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Flagler Sheriff Rick Staly can go fuck himself....

If I happen to be walking a beach, and starting seeing bales wash up,
you can bet your ass I'm gonna look around to make sure Rick ain't watching,
and I'm taking home as many as I can fit in my car...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I know what most of us might do if we found some 26lb packages of 'erb on a beachwalk.

.....and it wouldn't be to pass them by.

Once I heard of this happening on some island in SEAsia and it changed the local economy within a few weeks.....for the better.

"another great example of 'See Something, Say Something' ... thanks to the joint effort of our citizens' watchful eyes and good police work these narcotics are off the streets. To anyone thinking they can take advantage of marijuana washing up on shore I have a warning for you. Is it worth a trip to the Green Roof Inn charged with a felony just for some 'free' weed?"

Really? Narcotic?!?

These ****s better get with the damned times.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Five gallon buckets of coke were washing up on the beach here in the eighties.
The cops got most of them but a local guy started a very successful real estate business with the money generated from one of those buckets.
Of course, now he is Mr. Upstanding Straight and would never admit to it but the locals know what happened...

radioman

Back in the late 70's early 80's - Bales of Columbian weed used to occasionally wash up on the South Florida beaches. I was down there in '82 when a bunch washed up in Boca. If the weed gets salt water wet - it is ruined...

packerfan79

Veteran
I hate nosey fucking people.

I read a story about a 50 pound bailed of coke washing up on the shores of Belize. The locals quickly developed major coke addictions.

I doubt anyone here would want to smoke the crappy brick weed that is washing up now. I haven't even seen weed from Mexico in 10 years. Way to much dank grown here in the states.

rolandomota

Veteran
That's all I smoke cuz my state sucks and the "dank" is way too expensive and most of the time it ain't much better than the brick I rather buy a half pound if brick than a half ounce of "good" stuff that just looks pretty and smokes no different

green404

I was on a remote beach in Texas by border of Mexico a few locals warned me that if I saw packages not to touch them. They said that sometimes boats and people will dump them when they get spooked but they will watch them or have gps units in them.

You could have the cartel follow you home or track the gps back to your hotel and retrieve the package.

OldCoolSativa

I was in the Florida Keys during Christmas 1976 when a bunch of seaweed started washing ashore. The story was a Colombian freighter was outside the territorial limit (which was only 8 miles in those days) and that cabin cruisers were ferrying weed from the freighter to land. They got busted and dumped their load. My cousin, a commercial fisherman in Marathon, scored some of this seaweed from his local buddies and I got some from him. It was Colombian gold, seeded like crazy, and it was excellent reefer with an outstanding taste and a trippy high. Good times.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Around the summer of '74, some automotive inner-tubes filled with black Afghani hash washed up on the beaches near Nags Head, N.C.

A kid I knew from high school a couple years earlier found one and took it home.

He was a surf dude and he didn't have to work for almost 2 years.
He rented a little house in Duck, N.C. and went surfing every day...:dance013:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Sea Weed

Sea Weed

I was a park ranger in the Keys in '76. We regularly got called out to pick up floating bales. Five to ten a weekend for several weeks was the norm. One night there was a capsized Cigarette boat that we were towing back to the marina when bales started popping up from below. Turned out to be five tons of coke on that vessel. We figured they were going too fast in rough seas and buried the bow and turtled. We never found any bodies.
:woohoo:

packerfan79

Veteran
That's all I smoke cuz my state sucks and the "dank" is way too expensive and most of the time it ain't much better than the brick I rather buy a half pound if brick than a half ounce of "good" stuff that just looks pretty and smokes no different

That sucks rolando, we got plenty of great growers here who will gladly help you out on your own grow. Friends don't let friends smoke brick weed.

EastFortRock

Forget “found” weed. After knowing some growers, I barely trust any weed that I don’t personally grow. Also , If you live around a bunch of retired people, like a lot of Florida, there is always a percentage of old people with too much time on there hands and love to call the authorities about any rule that has been broken.

therevverend

Veteran
In the late 70s a lot of Thai Sticks came in via the Olympic Peninsula I'm assuming on fishing boats in the Grey's Harbor area. Every stoner who was in Seattle at the time talks about how great the Thai Sticks were a friend of mine got a few ounces from his brother for his 16th birthday.

Around 1980 the shipments were getting huge and the Coast Guard was catching on. There was a shipment in the tons coming in on a speedboat that was intercepted by the Coast Guard. The smugglers dumped in the ocean.

The Olympic Peninsula is an isolated place with few roads and hardly any people. I've heard from the locals that bundles were washing up on shore for weeks afterwards.

Of course the group of smugglers knew what had happened as well as the cops so they sent their people out to get as much of the cannabis as possible.

The way my friend tells the story it's ridiculous. Sounds like that film, It's a Mad Mad Mad World. Guys in 4x4s, motorcycles, speed boats, jet skis, coast guard, state patrol, local county cops, all over a hundred miles of coastline.

I was trying to look for press of that particular incident couldn't find any. I did find a reference to a Thai Stick bust out of the San Juan Islands and Bellingham if anyone is interested..

http://www.historylink.org/File/7331

And a larger crazier bust in Coos Bay Oregon

http://www.gesswhoto.com/sheriff-coos3.html

Hauling the 'ducks' through a small town where nothing happens. A guy from California with money buys a ranch and runs the locals off the best fishing hole in town. These guys weren't very bright.

Klompen

I haven't had anything to smoke in over a year now. Can we make the hurricane throw some pot all the way to the upper Midwest?