What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AF broken trunk..what to do ?

Hi there,
during my last LST session on outdoor AF i notice that a trunk wired 3 days before was broken...but was not totally cut...so when i saw it i tried to rejoin the 2 parts but i had to take off the old LST

now my need is to continue to do LST or at least to save the plant

what u suggest me to do to reach the harvest ???

here same pics

Last edited:

mogroith

Have had worse live, we actually used to stress the plants by torturing their stalk. You could

get grafting tape to wrap around it to seal the wound. When training a plant squeeze and

squish the stem between thumb and forefinger, it will never snap if you do it that way

Ready4

Veteran
Get some duct tape & one or two splints. Duct tape works great, been there and done that. Putting a splint in there strengthens and gives an air gap for cutting away the duct tape as it heals , without the knife cutting stem.

Have had worse live, we actually used to stress the plants by torturing their stalk. You could

get grafting tape to wrap around it to seal the wound. When training a plant squeeze and

squish the stem between thumb and forefinger, it will never snap if you do it that way

is there any glue in grafting tape ? i dont want that the plant abosorb it

i tried to squish the stem between thumb and forefinger...but maybe was not enough or i did it in a wrong way

thanks for ur suggestion

Get some duct tape & one or two splints. Duct tape works great, been there and done that. Putting a splint in there strengthens and gives an air gap for cutting away the duct tape as it heals , without the knife cutting stem.

ok i will try with a tape...do you think i can fix it with simple food WRAP ? and more after the "surgery" do u think i can continue to stress the plant with LST ? thx:tiphat:

i was wondering about the splints...in which material should be ? the space to operate there is sooo small....furthermore this morning i noticed that the plant seems healty in the majority of the leaves...so the worst seems passed....but i wanna to fix it the wound in order to practice LST

thx to all for ur support

reefone

ive broke quite a few stems. I use black electrical tape. I use the tape and loop it around the broken branch to a solid branch. when I tape it I use the tape to hold the branch where I want it. in a week it heals and stays where u put it. sometimes I don't use tape. ill use a bamboo stick and tie the the branch to the stick in the position I want it to stay in.

no need for splints imo. the branch will not reattach where its broke it will just heal up and form a knuckle of sorts.

DJXX

Veteran
hey i use tin foil...take sheet and fold it up and cut you a piece of it and just mold it around the break like a cast for a broken arm and after a couple of weeks take it off and there will be a big knot...you don't need any tape either...works great..DJXX

Jhhnn

Veteran
Any kind of splint that holds it together while it heals is fine.

Having grown AF's 3 times, I think it's important not to mess with them too much. With photo strains growers can extend veg time, let the plants heal & adapt to the stress of twisting, pruning & whatever. That won't work w/ autoflowers. They charge for the finish line & growers don't want to do anything that slows 'em down or sets 'em back at all.

mogroith

is there any glue in grafting tape ? i dont want that the plant abosorb it

i tried to squish the stem between thumb and forefinger...but maybe was not enough or i did it in a wrong way

thanks for ur suggestion

They use grafting tape in plant nurseries, doubt if it will have anything that will harm your plant. It is not called weed for nothing, outdoor once they are established it takes a lot to kill them, the squish takes a while to get right, if done correct it will usually fall under it's own weight if you tie it with some slack as it stands back up you can tie it off were you want it.

thc43

Veteran
tape wire clonex to keep sterile, you will know when its time to snip the wire, treat the plant like its in shock extra friendlies and silica.
goodluck as ling as u can stabalise she will be sweet but slow for a week or so asuming it splintered down a forked tip point..