What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Thai

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Had to drop a little cid the other day jus t to remember what thats like .. hehe
Now im ready for the acid herb ....

Hey kanga ,,
nice indica man ,
the hybrid with the thai should be interesting ...

how does this compare to more modern strains you've grown/smoked? for raw potency and a high cieling?

i've heard the stories, if they are true i'm happy to flower out for aslong as they take

ahortator

Veteran
Hello everybody

Nice to see that a wonderful strain will not die out :tiphat:

One question please, I have read always that the Kariba is a very good strain, but it seems that its potency turns pale beside that amazing Thai. Is that Thai so much powerful than any other strain?

:thank you:

Greetings :wave:

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi Wal.....Lol I am sure you had a good day. We have the odd day around here where we all get together for a nice liquid day/night:dance013:
Yeah mate I am sure this cross is going to be killer, I have also used 2 Mazar males over some other nice strains that I will try this season.

Hey Mr Green...... I havent smoked alot of the modern strains, but of what I have the Thai is on a different level and I think that has to do with the Indica that is added to most strains of today.

Hi ahortator.......Yes you are right the Kariba as a African is in a class of its own, as is the Mullum.
The thing is with the Thai is the way it delivers its high, its clean strong and long lasting. The others have a bit of roundedness to them if you understand what I mean....it's not like the tripping weed of the old days but it comes pretty close.
The Mullum and Kariba can actually stop you for awhile, where as the Thai comes on in waves of strong trippy electric high and that is only after 3 tokes on a joint.
We are starting to see real similarities between the Thai and the Mullum and later maturing Nev Haze F1's, although the latter still has that roundedness to it that is from the Northern Lights, but this becomes less evident as I smoke the later maturing ones.

Hope I made sence with all that:tiphat:

KITCHA

Veteran
Thought I'd chime in since I'm passing through the motherland of this strain and smoking some nice Buddha as we speak, small tight brown buds that looked to have been pressed then pulled apart all seeds crushed but are a nice dark colour and very oily like I remember them almost orange around the outsides. The smell takes me back to my youth something very familiar that those who have smoked good good Thai will remember instantly, kind of fruit pudding with some deep rum spice coming out when broken up. The high is clear like kanga decsribed but powerful at the same time. It somehow makes me feel like a part of this land rather than a visitor and lasts for hours and hours, : ) i love it!

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Hey all,

I take it theres not much of the thai in circulation, and when its grown out, probally kept for head stash xD,

I needa get my ass over east for a nimbin one year and maybe try to get a taste of this beast,

Makes my mouth water when you guys talk about it, kinda makes me wish i was round in the older days with the thai back then,

Im probally only a youngin compared to most of the other aussies here, but im sick to death of the terrible, lazy, stupefying, body stone shit that seems to be going round atm, and all the youngins my age love the shit coz it gets them "wasted" or trollied.
(at least it was back in NZ)

The closest smoke i no that ive had to a mind blowing sativa, was some northern lights from when i was back home in NZ,
Everything else has been shit, until i did my 1st successful grow of the seedsman white widow(in my sig 250w), was great but not the special lady im searching for.

Anyways enough of my rambling once again, i get carried away sorry guys,

Peace Afro.

KITCHA

Veteran
Afro, there was a time in Oz where in the big cities Thai weed in block or stick form and hash were the only things around I remember nice gold stamp hash wrapped in cellophane that was sickeningly strong especially when mixed with the sticks haha,, all imported and the local weed was the madness that came down the coast that was also freakishly potent, these days the standard weed is a mess of immature indica grown for greed and carries that stigma in the high and dirt taste from all the weight inducing nutes likevrock bud and brix.... If you can find a spot outside give some mr nice hazes a run you will taste old school weed and it's unique high.

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
yeh cheers man, thats when im eventually after a nice outdoor spot i can call my paradise,
none of this shit half breeds that have been messed with too much and lost all of their original traits,

i see people around my age(20) makes me feel young), all the time talking about weed on bus/train while im headed to/from work, and all they talk about is,
MAN u no where we can score any good bud, none of that bush shit, we want the good hydro stuff that gets you high as fuck....

I laugh at how uneducated they all same to be about cannabis/hemp,
Sure hydro can grow great bud like outdoors, but its the outdoors and the love put into the outdoor grows(and nature in general) that make the sativa strains so god dam amazing, and there REAL high affect as i put it.
Not about the 2 months turnover profit and the fat dense, yet tiny stemmed indoor over nuted and non flushed shit.

Im rambling again but i seem to just get carried away everytime i type, havn't smoked since sunday yet my brain is ticking over like ive just dropped a tab or 2.

Peace for now :D

JKD

Veteran
Hi Kanga.

I see you've said they have similiarities but could you give a smoke comparison between Nevilles Haze and the Thai. I've been planning a Malawi x Nevilles hybrid but if the Thai is more potent and trippy I may use that instead to make the hybrid 100% sativa.

Thanks for any help you can give.

JKD

L

luvaduck

Yeah kitcha, those were the days, before any of the 'dutch' weed flooded the market. That hash, we used to get it, gold seal we called it, was yours like the golden putty we had? It was memorable.
The weed that could be found in nimbin in those days, in northern NSW in general, sure didn't look as good as the new indicas and crosses, but provided for some memorable daze, even 20 years later I search for those plants. One in particular I remember had 3 of us near tripping in a splif.
So over the last few years I have been experimenting with 'name' brands, but the thing is I still find myself even when having the option of exotic imported strains, favouring the old oz bush sativa, hermies and all, in the pipe. Mostly thai i think, though don't know for sure.
Rambling. Signing off.

:tiphat:

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi Kanga.

I see you've said they have similiarities but could you give a smoke comparison between Nevilles Haze and the Thai. I've been planning a Malawi x Nevilles hybrid but if the Thai is more potent and trippy I may use that instead to make the hybrid 100% sativa.

Thanks for any help you can give.

JKD

Hi JKD I dont really know where you are but the thing about the Thai's is they take a long time to flower and you do need a fair few to find the right one.
Also the comparison I am using is with F1 nev hazes and after growing the NH on offer now and the F1's I can tell you the F1's are stronger.
Do I think the Thai is stronger.....well I still havent tried the later F1's yet but at the moment I will say yes, but in a different way as the Thai is more trippy.
I have also grown the Malawi, but due to the season we had i lost a few of them and only got to sample 2 and they definetly did not look good, so in all honesty I cant really give a good report on them.
If you dont have the season and space to work with alot of Thai's i would do your original cross, but if you do then go for the Thai.
I think these days crossing 2 landraces is the best thing you can do as not everybody is doing it and it is something very special if you get it right.
I wish you well in your choice and happy growing...k:gday:

JKD

Veteran
Thanks for the advice Kangativa.

If run 12/12 from seed will each Thai fit into a 5' x 5' x 8' space?

Will get the Thai seeds as they are a limited edition and hold on to them until I can figure out what I'm going to do with them...

Thanks again Kanga.

JKD

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks for the advice Kangativa.

If run 12/12 from seed will each Thai fit into a 5' x 5' x 8' space?

Will get the Thai seeds as they are a limited edition and hold on to them until I can figure out what I'm going to do with them...

Thanks again Kanga.

JKD

You can do it I think. The trick is not to put them under HPS for well ever..Id strictly use 6500k Metal Halide bulb the entire grow period. That will eliminate alot of your problems with stretch and being able to manage the plants.

Kangativa

Veteran
You can do it I think. The trick is not to put them under HPS for well ever..Id strictly use 6500k Metal Halide bulb the entire grow period. That will eliminate alot of your problems with stretch and being able to manage the plants.

Thanks Dave.....JKD I would listen to this mans advice as I know nothing about flowering indoors only revegging.
I know it will be a challenge for you but hey dont us growers love a challenge:gday:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks Dave.....JKD I would listen to this mans advice as I know nothing about flowering indoors only revegging.
I know it will be a challenge for you but hey dont us growers love a challenge:gday:
Ive gotten good at restricting height indoors with Sativas. The Afropips Malawi Gold we previously discussed, Ive have going now, and they're so compact you'd never think they were a sativa.

The longer the time spent under mostly blue light the greater the carry over effect when plants are flowered under HPS, so JKD can give them some HPS lighting if he desires, but Id recommend at least a month under mostly blue light. Probably longer since it is Thai.

SeedGuru

afropips from sensibleseeds

afropips from sensibleseeds

Ive gotten good at restricting height indoors with Sativas. The Afropips Malawi Gold we previously discussed, Ive have going now, and they're so compact you'd never think they were a sativa.

The longer the time spent under mostly blue light the greater the carry over effect when plants are flowered under HPS, so JKD can give them some HPS lighting if he desires, but Id recommend at least a month under mostly blue light. Probably longer since it is Thai.
Hi Dave,
You might want to hold back some afropips seeds and make some more. I have been trying to source some of his strains which i usually buy through sensibleseeds. They are now down to their last few packs and will not be sourcing anymore as the chap who ran afropips died awhile back and his father tried to carry on the legacy but alas it has come to an end. Sensibleseeds did say however that they have spoken to a some other landrace breeders and will be getting them on board at the end of the year, the original nepali strains and the vietnamese black being the ones to anticipate plus a few others in the pipeline - I will check back there in December to see if the goodies are in.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hi Dave,
You might want to hold back some afropips seeds and make some more. I have been trying to source some of his strains which i usually buy through sensibleseeds. They are now down to their last few packs and will not be sourcing anymore as the chap who ran afropips died awhile back and his father tried to carry on the legacy but alas it has come to an end. Sensibleseeds did say however that they have spoken to a some other landrace breeders and will be getting them on board at the end of the year, the original nepali strains and the vietnamese black being the ones to anticipate plus a few others in the pipeline - I will check back there in December to see if the goodies are in.

Believe me, I am gonna make seeds. Although, the Malawi Gold have been a disaster to grow so far. Trying to salvage clones of each, but Ive got a source for some MG seeds someone else made. Ive also got Afro's Swazi Red, and Senegal Haze going. About 2 weeks old from seed. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Hmm..you seem have some info a bit off about the Afroman death. Afroman is still alive and kicking. It was actually his son that died a few years ago. I verified this in email some time back with Afroman. Yet oddly enough the afropips website states Afroman died in 2008, yet my emails are dated july 2010..Ghost? lol :) BTW, I wouldn't trust that new pips website whatsoever, and wouldn't consider purchasing there.

KITCHA

Veteran
A bit off topic but check out malberry seed co they have some nice looking African landraces strains including a Malawi gold ; )

smokeitup

Why did sensible not raise their prices?

Why did sensible not raise their prices?

Hi Dave,
Just a suggestion...if the last of these seeds are so difficult to come by why havn't the prices gone up? They are afterall decent seeds. I know sensible seeds is a big company and I am probably lousy at business but it seems to me that the person with a stock of seeds which nobody else can get hold of and which they can use to make more would actually be striking it rich!

Or am I wrong? (wont be the first time :) )

ahortator

Veteran
Hello everybody

I have seriously thinking to buy a pack of these Thai seeds, but my economy don't allow to me buy it now. Also I have tried to convince a friend to buy a pack together without success. Here growers are only interested in autoflowering and feminised seeds. He is growing now three tiny feminised autos, so I think that he killed deliberately the three Suamtran cuttings that I gave to him, when I told him that he will not sample that stuff until Christmas has gone :bump:

As this Thai Stick is a limited edition I think that will happen as with the Zamal, another interesting strain, that now is only present in hybrids. But it is not the same as pure.

About Afropips Malawi Gold, don't care. I hope that you will be flodded with loads of seeds in a while. Be sure :jump:

The problem is that I have seen recent Afropips Malawi Gold plants pics and they resemble more Afghans with broad fingered leaves than thin African sativas. The same happens with other strains claimed to be pure Malawi that I have seen.

I don't know what happened.