What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONING WITH SPHAGNUM MOSS BY HIGH COUNTRY

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
great cloning tek HC,
I read your original thread where you mentioned and showed pics using sphagnum to clone
after you initial watering and planting how often do you rewater the the peat?

At about 7 days after taking the cuts I feed with a seaweed extract solution. I just soak them, drain to waste. By day 14 I should have roots and feed daily with veg nutes at about 1.0 EC, drain to waste.

High Country

Veteran
THE CLONE RUN IS FINISHED

THE CLONE RUN IS FINISHED

3 weeks have gone by since taking the clones. They have been under a 430W HPS for 7 days and have been fed veg nutes at 1.0 EC.

I have culled 1 clone, the rest have roots and are thriving. So 69 out 70 are now growing plants. That's about a 98.5% strike rate. That will do for me.

69 CLONES

picture.php

HEALTHY AND GROWING

picture.php

CLONE CANOPY

picture.php

INTO THE JUNGLE

picture.php

So sphagnum moss is something else to consider among the many ways of going about cloning. There are many methods, some simple, some complicated.

I like to keep it simple, well trimmed clones, stable temps and environment and above all......patience.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like yur style with this technique, i tried everything as well and so far rapid rooters works the best for me but they damn expensive at 20 bucks a freaking bag .

Gonna give this a go this weekend :)

cheers HC

High Country

Veteran
I like yur style with this technique, i tried everything as well and so far rapid rooters works the best for me but they damn expensive at 20 bucks a freaking bag .

Gonna give this a go this weekend :)

cheers HC

Seems to be be a pretty effective way to get high numbers of clones. I am getting over a 90% strike rate consistantly. The clones can be used in hydro, soil or whatever set up you have. Yep, way cheaper than rapid rooters, just fill a tray with sphagnum moss and put a shitload of clones in.

noteron

Hey High Country thanks a bunch for the info. I had tried cloning once before. But that ended in complete failure. But then I read your thread and decided to give your way a try. Your way works perfect! I wasnt able find the the same brand you used but Im sure most will work. The sphagnum moss that home depot carries has a different texture to it, its more ground up like a compost mix. But it still works just fine. I highly recommend using your method. It couldnt have been any easier.

oldog

Respect High Country
" I MANAGED TO GET A FAN LEAF OFF A PLANT 7 WEEKS INTO FLOWER TO PUT OUT ROOTS."

That is very impressive !.... I am just now trying to air layer/circumpose 3 branches with spagnum moss. What is it about the SM ? Does it contain something that causes the cutting to put out roots ? Or is it just their physical nature ie fluffyness etc. Would crushed/chopped up rockwool etc work just as well ?

High Country

Veteran
Respect High Country
" I MANAGED TO GET A FAN LEAF OFF A PLANT 7 WEEKS INTO FLOWER TO PUT OUT ROOTS."

That is very impressive !.... I am just now trying to air layer/circumpose 3 branches with spagnum moss. What is it about the SM ? Does it contain something that causes the cutting to put out roots ? Or is it just their physical nature ie fluffyness etc. Would crushed/chopped up rockwool etc work just as well ?

I am not sure why it works so well. It does have excellent moisture retaining ability without being soggy so oxygen is present. It should be fine for aerial layering and you can take bigger clones that way too. Chopped up rock wool may also work.

I think the main thing with cloning is a controlled environment, especially the temps, keep it at 24C or 75F and above all PATIENCE. Don't touch, tug, prod or poke them.

High Country

Veteran
Hey High Country thanks a bunch for the info. I had tried cloning once before. But that ended in complete failure. But then I read your thread and decided to give your way a try. Your way works perfect! I wasnt able find the the same brand you used but Im sure most will work. The sphagnum moss that home depot carries has a different texture to it, its more ground up like a compost mix. But it still works just fine. I highly recommend using your method. It couldnt have been any easier.

Glad it worked well for you noteron. I live in Australia so the sphagnum moss may be slightly different. I am not going back to any other method at the moment.

T

TurboDog

I use MG seed starter mix. When I pull those plants out of the cups and look at the roots to transplant, Their SOOO fuzzy, like true Aeroponics fuzzy. Sphagnum moss is the only medium Ive ran that has made the roots sooo happy. They just flow right threw sphagnum moss, and the stuff dries awsome. I like it alot more than coco. Ive root non MJ plants is it before and it rocks.

use

I'm going to have to try this, since I all ready have about 20 cubic feet left of sphagnum moss from the summer garden. I've never cloned before, but my little fert kit came with a thing of cloning gel. Thanks for sharing this information High.

High Country

Veteran

oldog

High Country: What is the size of that black tray in post#2
with 36 clones ? 3' x 3 ' ? Bulb size ? I didn't know you could grow out at that density. I have like 12 in 4'x4' under 600W.

High Country

Veteran
High Country: What is the size of that black tray in post#2
with 36 clones ? 3' x 3 ' ? Bulb size ? I didn't know you could grow out at that density. I have like 12 in 4'x4' under 600W.

G'day oldog, that is a 3'x3' ebb/flow tray, 9 sq/ft. Therefore in SOG style clones are planted at 4 per sq/ft, 36 all up. They are grown single cola style, trim any lateral growth that does not grow close to the main stem.

I have used a 600W HPS over it but now run a 1000W HPS. The 600W is good for a 3x3 area but have found better yields with 1000W. I can now get just over 1g/w.

This is Sea of Green, 4 per sq/ft.

oldog

Many times I've thought of posting to ask: why does
every plant have to be in its own container ?
Especially in ebb and flow where they are co-mingling in
their pots via the common nutrient solution .
I had numerous 1 gal pots filled with clay balls sitting in a
large tray with high walls. Why not just fill the tray, I thought -
the roots would have many times the amount of space.
I didn't see anybody doing it and said - theres some good reason.
Anyway , maybe next time. I'm back to soil now.

High Country

Veteran
Many times I've thought of posting to ask: why does
every plant have to be in its own container ?
Especially in ebb and flow where they are co-mingling in
their pots via the common nutrient solution .
I had numerous 1 gal pots filled with clay balls sitting in a
large tray with high walls. Why not just fill the tray, I thought -
the roots would have many times the amount of space.
I didn't see anybody doing it and said - theres some good reason.
Anyway , maybe next time. I'm back to soil now.

That's exactly how I do it, no pots and all the roots are happy mingling together just as they do in nature.

Latest posts

Latest posts