Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > MY FLYTRAP HOBBY!

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
MY FLYTRAP HOBBY! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM #11
JustSumTomatoes

JustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocadius View Post
Hello, JustSumTomatoes
Nice thread, thank you, it's nice to find people who like carnivorous plants. My favorite is Drosera Capensis, I really like its flowering, it's easy to reproduced
Awesome! Cape sundews multiply like crazy and really do number on small insects. Thanks for sharing!
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 PM #12
JustSumTomatoes

JustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud ofJustSumTomatoes has much to be proud of
Here are some of my North American pitcher plants... The one with the all white pitchers is a a variety that is now extinct in the wild as a result of habitat loss.

Last edited by JustSumTomatoes; 11-03-2018 at 09:13 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 AM #13
JustSumTomatoes

Here's the first Flytrap I posted completely dormant...

Last edited by JustSumTomatoes; 11-03-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 AM #14
meizzwang

meizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nicemeizzwang is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSumTomatoes View Post
Here are some of my North American pitcher plants... The one with the all white pitchers is a a variety that is now extinct in the wild as a result of habitat loss.
very cool!
meizzwang is offline Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 AM #15
Bongi

Bongi will become famous soon enoughBongi will become famous soon enough
I tried to cultivate multiple types of carnivorous plants while back but my seeds did not germinate.

I will try them again. Thanks for tip about African sundew for grow tent. Any tips on growing them?
Bongi is offline Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 04:40 PM #16
JustSumTomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongi View Post
I tried to cultivate multiple types of carnivorous plants while back but my seeds did not germinate.

I will try them again. Thanks for tip about African sundew for grow tent. Any tips on growing them?
Sundews are one of the easiest carnivorous plants to grow, especially under grow lights or in a sunny windowsill. Grow them in a mix of sphagnum peat and perlite. It is very important to NEVER give them any fertilizer or nutrients because it is toxic to them. They will get all that from the bugs they catch and are adapted to living in nutrient poor soil and will even thrive with no bugs at all. Also it is important to only water them with distilled or RO water as the salts, minerals and/or chlorine in tap or well water is also harmful to them. If growing from seed just sprinkle them on top of the medium and keep moist at all times. Same with adult plants, sundews actually like being very damp at all times and do well standing in a tray full of water.

I highly recommend a Cape sundew (Drosera capensis). A single plant will quickly grow as well as flower and produce seed which will drop on its own and make even more plants! They also come in a few color variations.

A tip on buying them: avoid ebay. Those Chinese vendors specialize on selling dud seeds or seeds that are total bullshit altogether. Go through a reputable nursery for seeds or an adult plant. California Carnivores and Predatory Plants have a history of good service to name a few.

Happy growing!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 PM #17
HuffnPufferfish

HuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really nice
kept droseras until they kept eating my ladybird population, and i love my bugs!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 AM #18
JustSumTomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffnPufferfish View Post
kept droseras until they kept eating my ladybird population, and i love my bugs!
Poor ladybugs! The flytraps had a nasty case of fungus gnats and the dews cleaned them all up.