What's new

Aero/Bubbler Cloner

medicaluser420

I wanna show you guys how to make a cheap cloner.Bear in mind that it is already made so I just took pictures of different things to show what you need to do. Here are some pics of what I used.

2 Airstones
Dual outlet Air Pump(A cheaper pump will also work but it might take longer)
Air line (tubing)
Light Fixture
22wattCFL
Small Tub
Superthrive(optional)
The only real power tool you need is a drill and a razor blade to cut off the plastic shavings that drill leaves behind.

Next drill the holes on the top of your tub lid put as many holes as you want clones. Also drill holes on the side of the tub up high that is where the airline will run through.

Clean out the shavings in the tub and cut them off the lid with the razor blade.(be careful) Once it is clean throw in the airstones connect the tubing to the stones and to the airpump. I use rocks and nylon string to hold them down.

Fill it with water add a drop of superthrive and plug it in. Make sure everything is working as you want it before you think of taking the clones.
Once you are done with that it is time to get the cuts from your mom. I cut them at a 45 degree angle off the mom then I take the branch I just cut and re-cut it at same angle underwater to prevent airbubbles from forming in the stem.After that I toss them right into the cloner that already running. I like leaving the tips of the stems submerged in the water.Sometimes some will bend the stem out of the water don't worry it's still getting water from the moisture that collects on lid and fall back down on them.

7-12 days later little roots will start to form on the outside of the bare stem I pull them out right away and transplant them into soil before the roots get to big. That is the disadvantage with this one. The roots can't be overgrown cause then they will not fit through the holes.The roots on mine are usually just 1/8 inch long before I take them out. I leave them one more week under 2 22watt cfls so the roots can develop a little more in soil before throwing the 250MH on them.

Last edited:

dan kay

looks good. what size holes did you drill in the lid? they look pretty small do you have any problems getting the clones out without damaging the roots? i drilled 1/2" holes in the lid and am using that 1/2" tubing cut into collars but i think its causing too much water to sit in that little collar and cause stem rot. without lightproofing it do you have any problems with algae?

medicaluser420

No they never get algea they are usually just in there until the roots show then I yank them out asap and transplant to soil.. I never let them outgrow the hole that is probably 1/8 maybe a 1/4 inch wide.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Nice.

I built one...tried it twice one time i had 100% success the other 0%

The temps were too low (i understand the water temp should be around 25C-27C?)

and i found out that my tapwater ph is 6.9...i think its too high but can someone confirm this...im planning to use distilled water next time. Is distilled water cool for cloning ?

Thanks..

medicaluser420

I dont know about the temps I just keep the tub in open area. As for the water you could probably use the tap but the purified/distilled water will not hurt it just might speeds things ups and cost you a couple of bucks.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
with everyone making cloners themselfs.. makes me wanna try and make one... good job....there has to be something to make it easier to take them out though.

good job

endo

F

Father Time

High,
I made one me self as well,but for the top i cut a sheet of poly and used a hole saw to make 20 sites.

i then made a punch out of a pice of pipe and punched hi-density foam,i sliced the foam so you can just open it up sit the cutting inside and put into the lid,this way you can give them plenty of root time.(or just grow in ther)

i then put a seedling box ovr the top of the cloner and have the 2 18w floros above the cuts,thay go very well this way.

on my first atempt i only lost 2 from all the cuts i took. :woohoo:

if i could figure out how the hell to go back into my galley and post some images i would, but the thing below me tells me i can only go back to page 22 and i need pages 23 and 31.hehehehe
Kind regards,FT

Punani JAck

Great info here...

I use almost the exact same method of cloning. I grow in Hydro so instead of small holes in the cover, I use a dremel and cut squares the size of my rockwool cubes. I just put the cutting into rockwool, then place the rockwool into the bubble cloner. The water level should be just barely touching the rockwool to begin with. I also use a touch of superthrive for cloning.

lifetime

i use a small fish tank heater in mine and turn it off/on every 15 mins on a timer.
keeps the temps around 82f all the time.

F

Father Time

Right,
got the pics sorted out,this set-up cost me about $50 as i ahd to purchase the pump as well,wich i thkn cost me like $25
Kind regards,Ft. :wave:

clowntown

Veteran
No need for rooting hormones / cloning gels? Do these aero-type cloners (bubble cloners, EZ-cloner, etc) typically call for it?

Esskie

Nice neat job Father Time :)

Very similar to one I made but water used to end up being prayed between the white correx cover & the top of the tub itself..
it does work very well though, albeit a tad messy, I can do bare stem cuts in neoprene collars/plain water & a few drops of Superthrive, pump on 24/7 showing roots in 5-7 days strain dependent of course
OR
with 25mm rockwool starter cubes with only a short 5 second burst of the pump daily & 2-3 foliar mistings roots showing through the cube in 10-12 days...again plain water & a few drops of Superthrive

I wish I could find the 'Rubber Maid' tubs you guys across the pond seem to use a lot, I'm sure it'd solve the leaky problem

Latest posts

Latest posts