What's new

northern lights sativa pheno

4tokin

I am currently doing a run of northern lights from seed and one of the plants has a definite sativa appearance.

I have tried a few searches and cant find much info about the sativa influences in the lineage.

Unfortunately I dont think there will be much to sample as I dusted her with her brother.

One thing that surprised me was that she flowered up before her sisters.

What could I expect smoke wise

WelderDan

Veteran
IIRC, the original NL was a clone only. Of course people wanted seed, and at the time people used what was available (skunk and Haze mostly) to do that. So it's not surprising that you found a sativa looking plant. It happens with Sensi Star too. SS will pop out a sativa looking plant from time to time

P

Pinnate

What could I expect smoke wise
I had that same 'problem' years ago ─ 2 NL seeds, 2 wildly different phenos!
The Indica was nice, but the sativa was brilliant; breathtakingly strong cat's piss with a deep, musky hash smell, the smoke highly cerebral but comforting for a sativa and the yield paltry.
Without cloning, I failed to regen. and lost a treasure . . .
I'm trying to save a sativa-dom. blue cheese right now!

Esskie

Hi there,
I find this conversation relevant right now having just grew out 3 Nirvana Northern lights females....there was 1 male out of 4 seeds started but was culled.

The thing that struck me initially was how very non-indica it looked with fairly slim fingered leaf. This sativa expression carried on tight through bloom with long 'spear' shaped colas growing along the branches...similar to the typical sat flower formation.

As opposed to the estimated 8-9wks it actually took all of 11-12wks to finish to a point of 60% amber & 40% cloudy trichomes...

It's my belief that the BC Seed Company's NL#5 is/was off the original short, squat indica/afghanica line I love so much myself?
Dont get me wrong, the 11wk NL is a really nice plant with resin abound and a nice body stone good for relaxation or anxiety

I'd wager you guys have probably seen this but there is some interesting information regarding NL & it's various incarnations here

Here is a pic of my Nirvana NL after 4wks hanging
picture.php