What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Haze x Meao Thai F3 & Pure Purple Haze

The Hatter

Veteran
Those are some lovely plants. All this time I've been thinking the purple tone was a byproduct of indica nature - learn something new every day.

Smashing to look at, wish I was smoking them.

<3 Tesla

I had always thought similarly until just recently. My nepelese jam has turned an amazing purple/moroon color with icy blue buds.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
There isn't any indica in old timers haze - its an old school equatorial sativa hybrid.

The purple in Haze is an expression of the landrace Columbian influence in the cross. Haze isn't a landrace, from what I gather from the information on this site, it's a hybrid cross that Sam Skunkman worked many years ago (late 60's) in Santa Cruz using all of his thinnest leaf sativas - Thai x Colombian x Kerala Indian x Mexican Highland. The seeds were then passed on to many others like Neville, who inbred them for the traits they personally liked which is the reason we have Pure Haze, Nevilles Haze, Old Timer's Haze, Original Haze and so on. This also explains the lack of vigor in the truly pure hazes - inbreeding for decades tends to slow em down.

Dubi's Old Timer's Haze is the parent to his Green Haze and Pure Purple Haze lines. Basically, there are two phenos in the Old Timer's Haze line, one green and one purple. He's done the work of selecting the best examples of each pheno and bred them to themselves so you can experience the variations of the plant's genetics. Additionally, he has crossed the two phenos to Meao Thai for vigor/yield - which is the reason I am such a big fan of the Ace Haze x Thai lines.

Here's a shot of another member's landrace purple Colombian, sure looks like the purple side of OTH to me!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thread these pics came from.

The Hatter

Veteran
Lovely photos. It seems that fall colors are quite prevalent in many of the sativas out there. I wonder if it is originally a higher latitude trait?

I do see it some tropical sativas but perhaps they were originally imported to the equatorial region from further north or south and fall colors are a throwback to those old gene pools.

Terpene

Veteran
Purple Haze x Thai at 11 weeks.
picture.php

Pure Purple Haze at 17.5 weeks is just starting to calyx up.
picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Amazing sativa show Terpene :)

Im enjoying a lot watching the different expressions of your hazes and haze thais. And you explained perfectly the information about the origin of haze population we know of. The purple trait comes indeed very probably from highland purple colombian genetics.

Terpene

Veteran
Ace Pure Purple Haze at 21.5 weeks (152 days!) and STILL heavily flowering. The lower portion seems to be sealing up, so probably 3 more weeks, but man this thing is taking forever...

picture.php

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I also thought I would give my 2 cents on some samples a certain Terp gifted me a little while back. These were from his last grow of green haze x thai and purple haze x thai. I've smoked each a few times now. You can easily identify the two apart in the jar.

Green haze x thai when ground into my vape bowl smells of grass and tropical fruit...perhaps some green apple and with a mild mint association.

The flavor is much like the smell, fruity on the inhale. As well as mild fruit, I did notice a little soap or cilantro exhale, much like I experienced in the purple haze x thai I grew last year.

I like the LED's these are grown under. It seems to hold the flavor profile well.

The effect, like the green haze I've grown from Ace, is upward but more moderately electric. Energetic and clear, it brings a sense of euphoria as in higher being and causes racing (but well thought out) patterns. I've not over indulged yet, but I doubt this has much of a ceiling.

The purple haze x thai sample shows the differences in the original Old Timer Haze line. I highly recommend buying the original OTH line as a preservation effort due to the diversity it exhibits.

The aroma is much more complex and follows the deeper color of the flowers. More of a fermented fruit and dark berry with woody incense and leather.

The flavor is dark fruit. Late inhale is musty like the inside of an old wine barrel left in the cellar years before. The exhale is interesting and very pleasant, it reminds me (surprisingly) of a fresh dryer sheet.

As with her green sister, the effects have much to offer but are more complex. I described to dubi in a PM that this was muddier than the green haze x thai. I don't think that offered a kind enough description. What I meant to say is that it is still very potent, but by muddy I mean more of a body envelope effect. Where green is pure head, purple offers head and a torso experience to go with it. The final effect is not as clear (but fuller) and your thoughts tend to drift rather than progress in a linear manner.

I'm very much enjoying both of these samples.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Ace Pure Purple Haze at 21.5 weeks (152 days!) and STILL heavily flowering. The lower portion seems to be sealing up, so probably 3 more weeks, but man this thing is taking forever...

View Image

God that's long :thinking:

There are very tropical pure haze expressions that under stable warm temps and stable 12/12 light photoperiod remain in half flowering state producing new 'waves' of flowers every 2-3 weeks. I'd recommend you to lower down the photoperiod and (10/14) the temps (15-20ºC), obviously if the setup and circunstances allow it.

Wish you are enjoying there ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I also thought I would give my 2 cents on some samples a certain Terp gifted me a little while back. These were from his last grow of green haze x thai and purple haze x thai. I've smoked each a few times now. You can easily identify the two apart in the jar.

Green haze x thai when ground into my vape bowl smells of grass and tropical fruit...perhaps some green apple and with a mild mint association.

The flavor is much like the smell, fruity on the inhale. As well as mild fruit, I did notice a little soap or cilantro exhale, much like I experienced in the purple haze x thai I grew last year.

I like the LED's these are grown under. It seems to hold the flavor profile well.

The effect, like the green haze I've grown from Ace, is upward but more moderately electric. Energetic and clear, it brings a sense of euphoria as in higher being and causes racing (but well thought out) patterns. I've not over indulged yet, but I doubt this has much of a ceiling.

The purple haze x thai sample shows the differences in the original Old Timer Haze line. I highly recommend buying the original OTH line as a preservation effort due to the diversity it exhibits.

The aroma is much more complex and follows the deeper color of the flowers. More of a fermented fruit and dark berry with woody incense and leather.

The flavor is dark fruit. Late inhale is musty like the inside of an old wine barrel left in the cellar years before. The exhale is interesting and very pleasant, it reminds me (surprisingly) of a fresh dryer sheet.

As with her green sister, the effects have much to offer but are more complex. I described to dubi in a PM that this was muddier than the green haze x thai. I don't think that offered a kind enough description. What I meant to say is that it is still very potent, but by muddy I mean more of a body envelope effect. Where green is pure head, purple offers head and a torso experience to go with it. The final effect is not as clear (but fuller) and your thoughts tend to drift rather than progress in a linear manner.

I'm very much enjoying both of these samples.

Always a pleasure to read your experiences. :tiphat:

Green Haze Thai and Purple Haze Thai hybrids come from very similar genepool but now each one is taking its own character, the green one has a more tropical fruity aroma, high is clean with almost no tolerance .... the purple is obviously more colorful with a different bouquet, kind darker aroma that is usually more related to terpenes coming from purple pigmented strains: forest fruity aromas, black liquor, ... both lines share the spicy/antique wood/incensey background and similar potency and kind of effect: a mix of sensorial psychedelia and agitation, and you are right in terms of average purple haze thai effect is muddier.

Im glad to see friends sharing flowers and experiences :)

Terpene

Veteran
God that's long :thinking:

There are very tropical pure haze expressions that under stable warm temps and stable 12/12 light photoperiod remain in half flowering state producing new 'waves' of flowers every 2-3 weeks. I'd recommend you to lower down the photoperiod and (10/14) the temps (15-20ºC), obviously if the setup and circunstances allow it.

Wish you are enjoying there ;)

I appreciate the input, but I can't change light cycles as its a perpetual grow. Daytime temps are 21-22, night time temps are 15-16. I just have to sit patiently and wait. The 11 day/13 night light cycle will probably end up adding 3 weeks to the final flowering time, but the lowers have all sealed off already and turned purple. The tops look like theyre still 3 or 4 weeks to finish. I'm not worried, the purple haze thai (thai pheno) should finish in about 1 week, and the PCK should be done in 3-4 so I'll have plenty of smoke..

Terpene

Veteran
Purple Haze X Thai (the faster, chunky, dark pheno) at 16 week chop. I probably could have waited another 10 days, but shes done. The VERY pure purple haze leaning pheno is still trucking away and looks at least 4 weeks from finishing. Next time, I'm going to run these in 50/50 light warrior and happy frog, as you can see - straight out of the bag happy frog is just too hot for the Ace thin leaf lines.

picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Purple Haze X Thai (the faster, chunky, dark pheno) at 16 week chop. I probably could have waited another 10 days, but shes done. The VERY pure purple haze leaning pheno is still trucking away and looks at least 4 weeks from finishing. Next time, I'm going to run these in 50/50 light warrior and happy frog, as you can see - straight out of the bag happy frog is just too hot for the Ace thin leaf lines.

Great Terpene :yes:

Lovely Purple Haze dominant expression! Now you also have the pure Purple Haze flowering beside the Purple Haze Thais, so you can experience how the best purple haze traits have been stabilized in the Purple Haze Thai hybrid. It's a real good sign that this kind of tropical sativas show such big trichomes even in the leaf. Good job friend, as usual ;)

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Great Terpene :yes:

Lovely Purple Haze dominant expression! Now you also have the pure Purple Haze flowering beside the Purple Haze Thais, so you can experience how the best purple haze traits have been stabilized in the Purple Haze Thai hybrid. It's a real good sign that this kind of tropical sativas show such big trichomes even in the leaf. Good job friend, as usual ;)

dubi,

Some of the expressions from the Purple Haze x Thai are definitely trichome producers. My 3b PHT is a trichome producing machine with very nice leaf coverage. The 4b has yet to really produce much in the way of visible trichomes, so it is a plant by plant evaluation, but there is very resinous potential specimens out there and the pictured plant from Terpene definitely exhibits it.

Cheers,

Terpene

Veteran
Pure Purple Haze at 24.5 weeks. Still flowering but amazingly pretty.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Going to be a great harvest in a few weeks!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
24.5 weeks... that better be some ass-kickin weed...

This sort of plant is unlike just about anything else out there. It isn't going to make you a zombie, but keep puffin and see what happens. These hazes are as close to psychadelia as you may get. Their place in the 'nothing else like it' category means a well worth wait, imo.

Hey Terp, save a bowl for me...