What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 Trees

Billy Liar

Hi there,
I'll be showing 2 tree's here, I'm using Critical Haze and NLxAfg this time..
This will be similar to what I've done before but a few differences...
I'm aiming for efficiency as usual, so I'm using my Tree Machines, which were inspired by Heath Robinsons Modded Waterfarms, which perform well, Flip-Flop relays to control lighting, and fan speed controller to keep temps in check whilst slowing the fan and saving electricity..
To light the 2 Trees I'll use 3 x 600w ballasts, but 5 bulbs.. so 1 bulb stays on for 12 hrs, and 2 are on for 6 hrs each... if that makes sense...

Something like this:

O..............................O
.....X........O.......X.......
O..............................O

O=Bulb on for first 6hrs
O=Bulb on for second 6hrs
O=Bulb on for 12 hrs
X=Tree

Here's my Flip-Flop relay that I made from an old 26 amp contactor; swapped the Relay inside and altered the wiring to suit.

and here's my 10" vortex inline fan, this sucks from the room and blows out through a Carbon Filter (I'll add pics of this later).
DSCN26041.JPG

And here's the plants vegging ready to go in the Tree Machines in the next week or so... NLxAfg on the left and Critical Haze on the right..
DSCN26051.JPG

notice the size difference, this is very intentional, and is part of 'knowing your plant', one stretches like mad; the other hardly stretches at all...

I'll add more pics as time goes by and more equipment is added..
I'll also explain in some detail how my Tree Machines work.. (with pics of course
biggrin.gif
)

any Q's more than welcome...
peace
BL

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
Lookin sick dude! That's a ton of light for 2 plants,I like it.

Can't wait for more detail on the tree machines.

Yee Haw love this kinda grow, Hope you dont mind I hang out take bong hits and drool as am watching. Can't wait to see you blow these girls up

D

DHF

There`s my buddy.......So BL , is that how Heathie flips his auxiliary lights..........every 6 hrs ? ........

I know the light/plant placement is perfect for max lumen penetration with each plant gettin blasted by 3 lights at all times....well......2 1/2.........LOL.........

Gonna be monstrous bitches up in this thread before long....Hope they do all yas want and then some......

Waitin over here settin on my bucket ...

Good luck Bro...DHF....:ying:....

Shady Smoka

Awesome. I love tree grow. And especially when someone as knowledgeable as you is doing it. I'm definitely taking a seat here.
Let the show begin

Billy Liar

green_thumb..., Thanks for the compliments, I'll be showing the assembly of my Tree Machines in the next few daze mate, so I'll do you a little run down on how it works....:blowbubbles:
Marlo, Thanks for coming along....:thank you:
Apicalmeristem, lets hope there's something to drool about..lol

DHF, Glad you could make it bud... Yes this seems to be how heath flips his lights, I'm very impressed with how well flip flops work... I'll do a run down on how to build the flip flop too, for all who want to know...... Thanks for the kind wishes too Fred.. hope for a good run.. feel free to chip in with any ideas/comments, all's welcome..:groupwave:

Shady Smoka, Flattery gets you no-where hehee.... I'll mainly be concentrating on the system and controls etc. I want to show that just a few simple measures can make for a great grow.. So please excuse me if I dont do too many plant updates, but I'll try...:)

Oh and a quick note, some may notice a CO2 bottle in one of the pics... this is NOTHING to do with the grow..... I use fresh air....

thanks all...:wave:

peace
BL

Wrams

Hey Billy,

Damn man your plants look great already mate. I am really looking forward to seeing the outcome of this grow. As you know I've messed up my first tree, well it looked more like a driveway moss :p

Goodluck with this mate.

Peace,
Wrams

Billy Liar

Aerohead, Hi and thanks for stopping by...
Wrams, I'm sure you'll have a better run this time matey, thanks for the good wishes too, nice to have you on board..:tiphat:
Scrogerman, hello there, I'll put some more pics in this weekend, just for you..LOL
llewop, thanks for the love on the Relay.. I'll show how I wire them soon.. but he housing was already done for me so makes me look great..hehee:dance013:
take care all
peace
BL

Wrams

Gonna take your advice mate I try that foliar spray, just ordered 250ml off of eBay. What nutes do you use Billy..? GHE...? I don't know if I've missed it somewhere, probably :p

I just noticed in your last pic you use Co2 or is it just standing there doing nothing :D

ddftre

Billy I was wondering what size and name brand is the water pump that you use on you two plant systems. Can't wait to see pics. I am having a hard time finding a forum with heaths design for united states parts. Looking forward to your knowledge and photos.

thanks

Billy Liar

Hey Wrams, No CO2 here just good old fresh air and lots of it...

All will become clear ddftre, I'm in the UK so cant help with parts in the US sorry mate..

So as promised I'm showing how I plumb my Tree Machines..
I'll start at the beginning of the water flow... the pump....

so here is my OASE neptun 4000eco
DSCN2608.JPG

then I make a hole in the res for the supply pipe to go through.. this helps me get a lid on the res...
DSCN2609.JPG

From the pump I continue the 1.5" pipe to the first tank where I 'tee off in 3/4" to the bottom feed and the top feed..
DSCN2611.JPG

then from the bottom feed, I raise the flow up to a tee, to create a double waterfall effect inside the tank..
DSCN2612.JPG

Continue the feed to the second tank.
DSCN2617.JPG

Next I drill a 4Gal tank to death...
DSCN2618.JPG

which looks like this when in the outer tank
DSCN2619.JPG

the only other thing on the supply side of things is the By-pass to the res.. this is a very important feature, as it creates DO in the res that is then carried around the system by the pump..
DSCN2615.JPG

peace
BL

Billy Liar

So now on to the returns...

Now I'm a little scared of blocked drains, so I use three of them per tank.. 1 would prob do the job though... the drains also determine the water level which should be around the bottom of your inner tank.. Mines a little higher which explains the holes up the side of my 4Gal tank..
DSCN2613.JPG

the drain then continues in 1.5" to the next tank
DSCN2614.JPG

I then continue the return to the res
DSCN2616.JPG

Then its time to fill and run the system checking for leaks as we go.... (I didn't get any
tongue.gif
lol)
DSCN2621.JPG

A couple of drops of this shit to sterilize the system, and leave to run for 24hrs..
DSCN2620.JPG

Insulate the tanks, for two reasons, 1 to keep temps stable, 2 to stop condensation on the tanks etc.. as this takes humidity from the room..
DSCN2622.JPG

and that about covers how my tree machines work... simple isn't it???? LOL
No timers just 24hrs recirculation, and as much water flow as possible...

I'm sure theres going to be a few Q's now...
peace
BL

oh 1 last thing I didn't show in my first post is the Carbon Filter. so here she is..
DSCN2623.JPG

copperfacedave

Thats a good flow what size pump you using?

So the pump pushes the water through the pipe with the T on and the pipe with the tap on?

How many litres of water total?

Does the res have a ballcock and further water connection or is what we see in the pics it?

Plus where did you get your tanks and fitting from?

What size tank is that?

Thanks

Billy Liar

copperfacedave, Hi there...
I think I answered some of your questions in the thread already.... but I've been posting the same info in a few places recently...
So,,,,, I use a 4000lph pump
One pump supplies everything..
I'm not too sure how much water the system holds, but somewhere just under 200l would be a good guess...
I've done a schematic diagram using heaths AutoCad program..
which is here:

picture.php

hope this explains all...
any more Q's don't hesitate...
peace
BL