Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 PM #3281
reppin2c

reppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the rough
You could say it's getting pretty setious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_143533.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	434328

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 PM #3282
jackspratt61

jackspratt61 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspratt61 View Post
In regards to light weight mixes...I've been submitting my soil samples without any aeration added. The results show cec values in the mid 30's. If I add aeration components after testing what effects does that have to cec,overall nutrient availability,ph etc.? Currently am using perlite only at 33%.

Am I correct in not testing an inert component (perlite)in the initial mix?
Question rephrased...

Is it possible/recommended in container growing to match the % aeration components to the % base saturation of Mg. We've learned Mg doesn't like to leave the party!

For instance, if test results are showing 2000-2500 ppm Ca on AA 8.2 and base saturation for Ca in the range of mid 80's but Mg at 18% base saturation that would be a mix needing more aeration because of the high Mg. But how much more??

As stated I do not test my aeration. Aeration is done after making adjustments to the (in my case) 1 part peat/1 part composted bark mix.

Is there any correlation between %aeration in a mix and base saturation of elements such as Mg when using low cec adds such as perlite?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 AM #3283
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
I would aim a bit lower, say 18 or so.

"18" is that reasonable or arrogance?..., Slo, I appreciate what ur doing here but that answer makes me chuckle, farmer to farmer

if the so meant slo, then all good, I think you've been great about refraining from $$$, please continue

Old 11-04-2017, 12:34 PM #3284
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
I prefer a cec of 17.8 myself............

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM #3285
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by led05 View Post
"18" is that reasonable or arrogance?..., Slo, I appreciate what ur doing here but that answer makes me chuckle, farmer to farmer

if the so meant slo, then all good, I think you've been great about refraining from $$$, please continue
Wait a second! You mean to tell me that no one is going to send me a check? WTF?
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Old 11-04-2017, 04:06 PM #3286
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspratt61 View Post
Question rephrased...

Is it possible/recommended in container growing to match the % aeration components to the % base saturation of Mg. We've learned Mg doesn't like to leave the party!

For instance, if test results are showing 2000-2500 ppm Ca on AA 8.2 and base saturation for Ca in the range of mid 80's but Mg at 18% base saturation that would be a mix needing more aeration because of the high Mg. But how much more??

As stated I do not test my aeration. Aeration is done after making adjustments to the (in my case) 1 part peat/1 part composted bark mix.

Is there any correlation between %aeration in a mix and base saturation of elements such as Mg when using low cec adds such as perlite?
This is why the numbers are so important. They have to sum to 100%. Why can't folks push out that Mg? Or Na?

Simple. You all know the answer. Not enough Ca! You can't have 85% Ca and 18% Mg guy, that is 103%. And your K? Na?

One cation pushes out another cation. Simple. Think of Ca as a weakling and Mg as a big fat guy. You are going to need a bunch of Ca to push fatso out the door. If there is not enough airspace, this job gets even tougher.

Remember that roots need more air than leaves do, remember that organic and amino acid exchange from root tips is the way that the plant picks up calcium. It is the ONLY way to pick up calcium by a root. If the environment is wet, these acids are diluted, resulting in less uptake.

So if we have a situation with a low CEC and still no air (washed out clays come to mind), even with high Ca, the soil is going to stay wet longer. This means that for the plant to pick up Ca it takes much longer as the soil stays wet longer.

If we calculate that over the life of the plant, which would be better? Have that media nearly dry out every day! Thus the plant can pick up Ca easier EVERY DAY.

Every cell in the plant has its' walls made of Ca. The plant needs to pick up Ca every day.

This is a big key to high productivity and obviously high quality.

Heading to Cali Monday! Yeehah!
TO THIS WORLD

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:10 PM #3287
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
I prefer a cec of 17.8 myself............
There is always one in the crowd...
TO THIS WORLD

Old 11-04-2017, 04:57 PM #3288
reppin2c

reppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the rough
If you're seeing a deficiency your missing quality and yield. Every element has a function.

I think id rather have CEC cranked and spray the K cuz it goes into the plant easy. Little heavier mix so you aren't watering every day and maybe spend some time fishing. Or the other option build it so high performance like the race car they tear the motor down every race.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:49 PM #3289
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin2c View Post
If you're seeing a deficiency your missing quality and yield. Every element has a function.

I think id rather have CEC cranked and spray the K cuz it goes into the plant easy. Little heavier mix so you aren't watering every day and maybe spend some time fishing. Or the other option build it so high performance like the race car they tear the motor down every race.
Agree completely. Visual deficiencies mean you missed the boat.

I would prefer an automatic irrigation system that watered thoroughly daily, on a mix where I knew it was going to need water every day, even twice a day at the correct times, with a light irrigation first thing in the morning and heavier irrigation midday in heavy heat filling in flowers. Top dressing is also an issue so one would need micro sprinklers.

Several guys on here could be chipping in on their experiences with mixes. Especially those that write stuff like 17.8 hint hint.
TO THIS WORLD

Old 11-04-2017, 06:55 PM #3290
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin2c View Post
You could say it's getting pretty setious
Why setious sodium borate? No boric acid available?
TO THIS WORLD

Thread Closed