What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I am growing outside

garyw

I am new at growing and have been reading when inside growing if you set your lights at 12 hours sun and 12 hours dark does that mean your flowers should start to show up? I am growing outside and started from seed but planted outside June 1st. 12hours daylight and 12 hours dark does not happen tim Sept 21st does that mean it will not start to flower til that week or so? seems like that ought to be at end of flowering and couple weeks in october should be harvesting. am I wrong?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
12:12 is only the schedule which is needed for indoors to successfully flip the plants. Outdoors most plants are starting to flower somewhat earlier. At around 50deg N most will start around middle of august, but not all strains. I can't tell how it works at your latitude, though.

T

Teddybrae

yes, and variety makes a difference too. like ... some are early flowering varieties ...

garyw

I should have waited til I read some more. I grew from seeds that cracked on May 21st and planted outside on June 1st so I should have veg state from June to august 21st. Then flower from september 1st to mid October for finish. I got lucky a friend game me some seeds on 15th of May and said not to plant til next year because I was too late but looks like I am right on schedule. My latitude is 43.6 and near the pacific Ocean

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I start mine indoors under the big lights towards the end of March. That gives them time to grow into a smaller bush before I put them outside towards the end of May. The only benefit to that method is that it gives me a chance to pre-sex the plants and throw away the male plants. You also get a larger plant with more yield. If you grow indoors you count the number of days flowering from the moment you flip the lights over to 12:12. It takes a couple of weeks for the plants to show signs that they have flowered. I like outdoors better because there is less care required.

UFOpilot

You can speed up flowering by covering your plant with something (I have used an old trash can)
to put them in the dark earlier.In the evening you can remove your trash can or whatever.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It is variety dependent. And outdoors, plants will start flowering due to the daily change (shortening) of day length, not necessarily when 12/12 occurs.

garyw

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 26
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 28
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24

grayeyes

If you cover your plants outside for 12 hours they will flower. I found the smarter way to go was to use pots to grow outside. Then you just pick em up and put inside at night.

I am currently flowering some that I started in winter then used the 12 hours dark to start flowering. Living at 33 degrees my sun period is 12 hours. So far going well.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I'd say strains that need 12/12 to trigger flowering are too late for you. There are exceptions tho, so with a lot of luck and a good season, some of em might start flowering in time and actually produce some buds.. But I wouldn't count on it. If you start getting freezing nights when your plants start flowering, and a cold winter that's fast approaching after that, kinda pointless to try. Just a waste of time, seeds and effort.

You could try autoflowering and/or early strains tho. Like Danish stuff from HFH (Hybrids from Hell) and thing, should work. Autos start flowering regardless of light schedule and early plants a bit later after some vegetative time. I grow outdoor @61N in Finland, so I have to deal with a short season, cold temperatures and a tricky light/dark schedule with the midnight sun and shit like that. Still do fine most years with the right strains and experience, a good season helps a lot, too.

So, I'd recommend reading up on Northern OD-growing and strains.. And skipping all 12/12 strains & stuff that takes more than 9-10 weeks to ripen up, like jungle sativas and haze varieties and thing.

You win some..
picture.php

You lose some..
picture.php

insha'Allah :tiphat:

garyw

Here I am again in 2019. I am still growing ATF and enjoying my harvest from 2018. My I st seeds cracked open May 21st. I started them under florescent light in my southern window and planted 4 plants with non feminized seeds. I only ended up with one female and unfortunately did not grow one of the males for a bounty of seeds However I did save some seeds and doing it over this year. I intend to do better but for a late start last year and I bent over limbs and used bamboo in cross pattern to keep buds from falling over. I did have one nice female about 4' tall grown outside and ended up with 6 ounces of bud. Best pot I have ever smoked. I got a month head start this year. I am still inside with plants and they are on set of 3 leaves still but next will be 5 leaf sets. I intend to plant them outside in the same soil June 1st again but have them in same fox farms but I have added alot of seaweed for the last month I am growing in raised beds with a foot of native soil turned over. I will update again this year.

garyw

Well better late than never. It is now august 23rd. I have 5 females this year out of 9 I planted. I started inside again. Planted outside around June 1st. This year I decided to make sure I got some smoke so I bought one Trainwreck clone. It has small leaves (narrow) it started flowering in mid July. before the other plants which are started from seed. the females that survived are one Alaska Thunderfuck, two Pineapple express out of 4 seeds but one is different looking than the others completely different. The pineapple express is bushy and started blooming around the first of August and is now about 5' tall. the oddball plant is lighter green and grew like a Christmas tree so I bent the stems out to get some more light. It now is 6 1/2' tall and started flowering middle of august. It is still lighter green than all the other plants. I also have a female that is a LSD. It is almost 5' tall and bushy. It has pistals but has not started budding flowers yet. this year I planted 3 plants in my garden box I used last year. I used Ocean forest from fox farms last year the box is open bottomed and 2' wide and 8' long. I had 3 plants in it but two were males and the third was that light green tall plant. I added 3 5 gallon buckets of bladderwrack seaweed to the mix. what seaweed was still on top dried crunchy and I ground it up with my hands to dust. the potato bugs came and chewed on the rest underground then left when they were done. These plants went crazy growing super fast too bad two of them were males. I planted one (the LSD) in a 15 gallon pot and the other three the train wreck, pineapple express and ATF are in fabric 45 gallon bags with new Roots Organics Greenfields potting soil. (from Eugene Oregon) all but the LSD are blooming now and doing well. I am in a small town and enclosed them in a 10 x 10 area with tarps on two sides that are 8' tall. I am not getting full sun for more than 5 hours but still light outside they are doing fine and blooming on schedule. I have lots of snails and slugs in my yard but I have for the last two years put a circle of copper wire around each plant and no slugs or snails have ever reached the plants. A couple of weeks ago I bought 300 ladybugs because I had alot of flys landing on the plants and a few other bugs. the ladybugs did not stick around long so there may not have been enough food I put some cotton balls soaked with water in the planter boxes so they had plenty of water. I did see a couple of spiders eating ladybugs for lunch. spiders been helping me keep bugs down. I only found two caterpillars this year wrapped in leaves and killed them. I am concerned with white powder mildew living here at the southern coast living at the beach but last year I sprayed with milk and water and had no problems. I do have dew every morning living here on the coast and the humidity is in the 90s at night and 70's in daytime when it is not raining or misty. This year I am using a mix of a gallon of water with 10% milk, a tablespoon of baking soda, a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a tablespoon of dawn soap. I applied the first gallon with a spray bottle to all plants underside and top of leaves about two weeks ago and the plants looked great. It rained day before yesterday and this morning there was dew so I applied another gallon between all 5 plants and had some left over. I have heard the dawn will help kill the bugs if any as well. I think this organic mix will be great I saw results of 3 plants on u-tube of someone who used milk and soap and baking soda and soap and the baking soda won so since milk worked for me last year and his results worked even better I mixed them together and the first spray looked great and I had no more leaf damage. I think it is going to be great this year. I will update later and maybe throw in a couple photos. Hope it helps someone.