What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ant problems

Jalpom2122

I am havin a issue with fire ants trying to colonize by and under a couple of my grow bags. It is dry rn where i am gardening and i think the moisture under my plants is drawing them in but idk. I just want em gone. Any help?

T

Teddybrae

Sounds bad! I understand these beasties are hard to get rid of ... but ... you could reduce the moisture reaching the ground by putting trays/saucers under your grow bags.

burmese

with ants i dont have experience because:
sometimes throwing a ,,tobaccoo,,from end of smmoked cigarette around house or in pot
can be also with water

or keeep yourself some animal or attract some animal to become and eat yours ants.
birds, reptile, mouse....

added later:

i just become aware that its maybe some special rage of ants so cant....

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get yourself some Borax & mix it 50/50 w powdered sugar & set small piles near the marching lines or around the hill. Protect from moisture & the ants will take it to their mound. The Borax will eliminate the entire population in that mound.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
You can try some Diatomaceous Earth (DE) if you don't want to use chems. It is actually mined and is microscopic seashells that lived in the ocean millions of years ago. It is a white powder that feels soft to humans, but to bugs it is like crawling over broken glass. It makes them bleed to death. You can get it at the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. It is cheap, but please don't breathe it in as it wouldn't do your lungs any good.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Get yourself some Borax & mix it 50/50 w powdered sugar & set small piles near the marching lines or around the hill. Protect from moisture & the ants will take it to their mound. The Borax will eliminate the entire population in that mound.
^^^ I would definitely try this! If you mix Borax with HFCS and put in a safe place the ants will swarm to it and then take it back to the colony and feed it to everybody which then causes them to starve to death. It's the exact science behind Terro which is one of the better rated ant control pesticides.

Trichomez1

If you raise the pots off the ground 1 inch or saucers or whatever surface the moisture wont collect and the ants will leave. I had the same problem and I use a couple tiny rocks or sticks to raise my pots and it worked for me.