What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

possible Hermi?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I just found a tiny little male hermi flower on a female I pollinated for F2 seed weeks ago. Is one male flower enough to throw away the plant? The only way I might have stressed the plant is I was trying out a new soilless mix that didn't work well for me. The plant next to it with the same genetics and conditions shows no hermi traits.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, that's showing some intersex traits.

The way i see it, few late nanners don't bother me if the smoke is really killer, unique or whatever and the seeds are for personal use. I don't like it when even some big name breeders use "late nanner genetics", cause most times they don't tell you about their seed lines having some intersex traits.
With raw landrace genetics i can understand light hermie traits, but when people use modern polyhybrids that grow nanners on just about every plant on a 10 pack, then i'm not too impressed.

Anyways.. (before i start ranting. LOL. i'm that tired and grumpy)

Few of my keepers grow some late nanners,at around last week of bloom (but i usually harvest them quite late )
..but i sure would like to find perfect males for those to preserve the genetics for later use, if i perhaps lose the keeper-mom. I'm sure in those seeds would be something similar or a good enough replacement.

But if the hermie trait in the female is so bad that it starts being full of bananas after 5-6 weeks of flowering, i personally wouldn't keep those seeds myself.

Oh yeah..
In general, if the seed project is really important to you, don't go start trying anything new on those grows, mate. Good chance of getting disappointed if you know what i mean. It's hard enough to keep perfect condition to those maturing seeds with familiar grow style, atleast for me, let alone trying something new.
:)