What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

MedResearcher

Veteran
Kaminotae, I wish I knew that too.

Maybe we can offer H3ad a cookie to come back and give us some more of his secrets.

I hit freshly rooted clones at 300ppm and they took it fine and greened up well.

At 2 weeks ive boosted up to 500ppm and they still look good and growth seems fairly fast.

Gonna boost again at 3 weeks... I guess ill let ya know how that works.

G

Grat3fulh3ad said:
I use 6ml/gallon GH flora micro and
9ml/gallon GH flora Bloom

1/2 strength for seedlings and freshly rooted clones

Full strength from the beginning of Veg until they begin bud formation
then

9ml/gallon GH flora bloom up until 2 weeks prior to harvest

Then plain water to finish.

No additives necessary.

"Full strength from the beginning of Veg until they begin bud formation
then 9ml/gallon GH flora bloom up until 2 weeks prior to harvest" (no micro)

I believe the reason and timing for this...is that the plant manufactures flowers then they take some time to mature...

During the manufacturing process they need micro but during the maturation of the flowers they dont need many micros.... and there will be some in the medium....

Last edited:
G

gratefuldawg

Hell ya Head! This is one of the best threads I've read on here.

Just came back to read it all cause I'm about to put some rooted clones in coco.

What size pot do you think for 1 weed vegged kali mist clones(80-90 days flowering strain)? I'm thinkin a 3 gallon pot should do??

Yo swordfish, I'm pretty sure he said he feeds every time with no flush cause he's at a fairly low ppm. Could be wrong though. Don't think it'd hurt to give a real good flush every 5 or so feedings, and start off with a fresh ratio.

Only thing I'm gonna change is..probly use floranova(got some I need to use), sweet instead of Epson salts, and foliar feed humboldt nutrients myan mycrozyme a couple times in Veg. Was reading really good things about using that as a foilar spray on another forum. Roots are spose to go nUTZ, and it can fight off PM and some other bad shit when used as a foliar.

And lastly on this unorganized post.. What about maybe using EarthJuice bloom for the last month or so? Anyone done/do this? Organic goodness with no nitrogen sounds better then GH bloom, but who knows.

Nice work again Head, I'd love to get my hands on a bros grimm C99, and some Casey Jones..evryones ravin about that one.

G

gratefuldawg

Quick question. I put some rooted clones into coco/25% perlite a couple days agao. I watered and the pots are still heavy. Do I water again? Or wait for them to dry out a little?

duddits

gratefuldawg said:
Quick question. I put some rooted clones into coco/25% perlite a couple days agao. I watered and the pots are still heavy. Do I water again? Or wait for them to dry out a little?

My experience is they like a watering and depending what nutes your using you might want to avoid salt concentration which is referred to by h3ad at the beginning of this thread.

I have a question! ;)

What is the amount h3ad list of epsom salts to use? The grain amount is throwing me off! How does it translate via teaspoon per gallon amount?

G

Grat3fulh3ad said:
OK guys... time for an update... been running the GH in coco for a bit now, and have made a couple of slight changes...

I'm now running the 6 and 9 ratio up to the first third of 12/12, then 6 and 12 for 1 week, then just 9ml/gal bloom with no micro up until the last three weeks, which are just distilled water...

I'm sacrificing some of the yield for an improvement in the flavor and burn of the final product...

This is more of what I like to see. Adjusting as the plants get older, adn eliminating N all together by the end.

gregor_mendel

I have a question! ;)

What is the amount h3ad list of epsom salts to use? The grain amount is throwing me off! How does it translate via teaspoon per gallon amount?

I remember that being 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons.

G

gratefuldawg

Where is my mind???. Was thinking you were doing the lucas formula..8/16, and I kinda fried some rooted clones goin half..4/8+. I've been feeding big plants 8/16 also, and have noticed a decline in stankness. Gonna give them a good plain water flush, and bring them down a little. Their super dark green right now, and I'm pretty sure I've sacraficed that real dank smell and taste a little.

Their only a few days in flower, can I bring it down a little, and still pull it off like it never happened?

SuperLarry

can we see some more of your coco bonanza head? i suppose you are busy with the breeding and everything else... im thinking about using coco but prob with floranova like neptune because i still have a bunch.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Lead?

Lead?

Grat3fulh3ad said:
because the water coming out of my dehumidifier has lower ppm than r/o... It's been evaporated then condensed and collected, so I call it distilled... I guess I could really use my tap water, it's only 40 ppm, but the dehumidifier is already sitting there collecting clean (<10ppm) water for me...
Hi H3ad,and everybody!
I've thought of using de-humid or A-C condensation,but figured they probably use a lead based solder on the condenser coils.
Any one have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
SD

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Good god I hope not, otherwise every single a/c, dehu, and refrigerator is adding easily consumable lead to the groundwater.... I would think they would use the same solder used in copper water lines, but if they're made in china, they probably have extra added lead...

G

Guest 18340

Hi there Grat3ful3ad, great thread. You're the reason i got into Coco and i must say that i'm thoroughly impressed.
Got a question for you if you dont mind (anybody can chime in, please). I just moved into a new house last tuesday and when i checked the ppms' outta the tap here it read 360! My old house was only 140ppm. At the old house all i ever did was use the ratios on the GH Flora bottles (all 3) at 1/4 strength with no problems. I use the regular micro, not the hardwater one. I never used cal/mag either, just the 3 GH flora bottles. Now i'm confused as to how to approach my 360ppm water. I do have access to r/o water thats 0ppm and cal/mag. Or would the hardwater formula be better? I know you only do Lucas but you seem to have a good understanding of GH nutes in general. Any advice? Thank in advance.

PS, I'm doing a W'Widow run now and just germed some AK47. Dont know if that info helps...

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
Good god I hope not, otherwise every single a/c, dehu, and refrigerator is adding easily consumable lead to the groundwater.... I would think they would use the same solder used in copper water lines, but if they're made in china, they probably have extra added lead...

That is what I was thinking.
I also thought the water from the de-humid would be PERFECT to refil my res.
Then I rembered solder
If it is not intended for drinking water,they probably use the cheapest solder possible.
I read an article in National Geeographic about costume jewerly from China that was LOADED with lead.
Best wishes,
SD

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
But... the water never passes through any lines on the dehu... It collects on the coil and drips off... I really doubt it picks up any lead a all, even if there were any used...

I'm not worried in the least and will keep on doing what I'm doing...

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
evlme2 said:
Hi there Grat3ful3ad, great thread. You're the reason i got into Coco and i must say that i'm thoroughly impressed.
Got a question for you if you dont mind (anybody can chime in, please). I just moved into a new house last tuesday and when i checked the ppms' outta the tap here it read 360! My old house was only 140ppm. At the old house all i ever did was use the ratios on the GH Flora bottles (all 3) at 1/4 strength with no problems. I use the regular micro, not the hardwater one. I never used cal/mag either, just the 3 GH flora bottles. Now i'm confused as to how to approach my 360ppm water. I do have access to r/o water thats 0ppm and cal/mag. Or would the hardwater formula be better? I know you only do Lucas but you seem to have a good understanding of GH nutes in general. Any advice? Thank in advance.

PS, I'm doing a W'Widow run now and just germed some AK47. Dont know if that info helps...
I'd use the r/o water if it's easily available and use neither the cal/mag nor the hardwater micro...

G

Guest 18340

I'm confused. I thought that if using straight r/o water that you NEED to supplement calcium/magnesium?
And so many folks say (for reasons i still dont grasp) Coco NEEDS calcium.
I aint doubting you bro, no way, just looking for an explanation so i can learn and fully understand. :redface:
I did notice a few times that adding cal/mag to straight r/o water (at the recommeded 1 tsp/gal) would raise my ppms' so high that i had to cut my nute strength in order to keep the ppms' reasonable.
Maybe now would be a good time to dispell some cal/mag myths. Especially because alot of people, myself included, have come to believe that Coco is a medium that requires the addition of cal/mag.

Last edited:

micko-uk

Hiya all,

Great thread grat 3/3 has give me loads of advice, and others i hope anyway........
ALL you EURO / LITRE growers need to know the yanks only have 3.87 litres in there gallon
we have 4.54 no sweat on hand watering with a gallon, but a bit of diff with 700 litres. As a guide 6ml = 1.5 ( one and half mls ). 9 ml = 2.25 (2 1/4 mls ) Per litre ,,,l think had a few J's now cant work out 12 but you get my drift
grat3/3.... would the hard water mico be at the same 6ml for r/o water and the bloom be org s/w the same 9 ml meaning r/o water with no ppm,,,,,,micko-uk

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
So many people think you need to supplement Ca because their ratio's are out of balance... My tap water is 6.5 ph and 38-44 ppm with very little, if any, Ca in it at all, and I have NEVER had Ca issues... coco does not need Ca! The proof is my garden... The solution to a deficiency is NOT usually adding more of the deficient element, the solution is to balance the solution by removing competing cations... There is way plenty Ca in the micro(97 ppm in my mix), especially if you are only using micro for your only nitrogen source.

Last edited:
G

Guest 18340

Good explanation Grat3ful3ad, it makes sense to me now. Sound advice my man, thank you :sasmokin: