What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Power of a Well Balanced Hybrid

You guessed it.

I want to know how many of you have experience a well balanced indica and sativa hybrid.

How it was useful to you and what was unique about it.

And what one should look for in a well balanced hybrid.

Don't be afraid to show pictures. :)

Carraxe

Veteran
There isn't anything that makes a hybrid better, other than the production and maturation time. I've found that there isn't anything like a well balanced hybrid: what you gain in some factors, you lose in others.

You lose body numb with clear head you could get with pure indicas. You lose stimulating high with no body effects you could get in pure sativas.

That's why I breed different lines, trying to keep original influences. There isn't anything "unique" in hybrids, but there is magic in pure lines.

The best you get in a potent hybrid is a stronger high with mixed effects. Nothing like the effects I've learn to value.

Cheers

G

growhigh1233

i somewhat agree with carr.....im only really interested in lines that fundamentally lean towards either indica or sativa................that said, i think there is something very special about a 1/4 mix ...............blueberry 80%/20%............. nevs haze 75%/25% ........are my fav examples, but im sure there allot more...............i believe then, pheno depending,a hybrid can become more than the sum of its parts n even surpass the pure form

RoosterGrows

I do tend to agree that a 50/50 hybrid of sativa/indica strains does seem to have more horsepower than a straight indica or sativa (at least to the extent that I have ever actually smoked a pure sativa or indica!)

That said, I do find the effects to be a bit muddled and undifferentiated, similar to tat generic BHO high. Of course, there is a time and place or that kind of high.

All that said, the best balanced hybrid I've grown/smoked is a Juicy Fruit cut that is reputed to be pretty old.

G

growhigh1233

hey growhigh1233 i saw your thread about dr. grinspoon and wanted to know what your keeper pheno of it looked/smelled like

lime /haze..................stunnning plant............id love to grow a massive plant outside in intense sun............. im way to far north tho :(

therevverend

Veteran
Off the top of my head I'd say the OG Kush strains are an example of a great hybrid. Big yield, bag appeal, potent high, the demand says it all. OG Kush and Sour Diesel are California bred hybrids that are dominating the market.
I had a couple Indicas last year, I'd almost forgotten what their growth pattern is like. True Sativas are even rarer. Even the companies selling sativas admit that there is a small amount of Indica in their strains. Most growers don't want to deal with 18 week flowering times and possible hermaphrodites. It's easy to add a bit of Indica hybrid to stabilize the strain and cut it down to 12-16 weeks.
What dispensaries are calling sativa or indica are almost always hybrids. Strains are a mishmash of other strains. In a way it's great because variety is the spice of life. These strains are super potent and contain a good mix of body high, head rush, psychedelia, it's easy to find.
The down side is that it's very difficult to find a true breeding strain. Or to isolate an effect out of everything else. When I get nostalgic for old time stuff it can be hard to find.
Here's a picture of my favorite right now, Grape Ape x Bubblegum. Good mellow body high and amazing flavors. Tastes like candy, grape, bubblegum, and a heady wine-like smell. A hybrid that improves on the quality of the parents.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=74258&pictureid=1790341

nattyroots

I think a good way to hybridize in while rolling up. One really good indica leaning, one really good sativa leaning, and you can alter the ratio of them in the joint (or vape) depending on time of day.

But obviously, there are some brilliant hybrids out there. From a grower's perspective, some of them really grow and mature at amazing speeds.

Off the top of my head I'd say the OG Kush strains are an example of a great hybrid. Big yield, bag appeal, potent high, the demand says it all. OG Kush and Sour Diesel are California bred hybrids that are dominating the market.
Who bred the OG kush strains? I thought the origin of OG kush was unknown? From appearance, environmental requirements and effects I would categorize OG kush as a near 100% indica.

Easy7

Veteran
I doubt og kush is 100% indica as virtually no strains are. Most are hybrids.

It would be almost impossible to grow outdoors here without hybrids. Weather gets bad usually 3rd week of October. Too wet for most indica and too short/cold for sativa. Sure there may be rare ones that would work, hard to find.

G

growhigh1233

og's growth pattern alone points to some major sativa influence
even northern lights my favourite powerful indica when you grow out 10 or 20 seeds you see in the phenos there is sativa in there, see some crazy tall phenos

i think the most indica plants iv ever grown are bubba kush s1 a icmag member produces !
and it was to stupefying for me, its a day wrecker

Easy7

Veteran
Nl has thai pedigree is why. Not just afghani.

Fact is leaf shape has nothing to do with judging indica or sativa with hybrids. It's not like there are four genes in a hybrid. Leaf shape is likely a series of genes and we don't know which all traits are affected by those.

True, red heads have pail skin. Cause the gene is multi functional. Not enough has been studied so far in cannabis genetics.

Latest posts

Latest posts