What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Oof. Yeah they're taking it kinda hard at the moment huh? Is it something to do with the temperature/new room or were they just so-so to begin with?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Oof. Yeah they're taking it kinda hard at the moment huh? Is it something to do with the temperature/new room or were they just so-so to begin with?

They have been like that to begin with, my guess is they where taken from a N deprived mom to begin with. But as I mentioned earlyer, I got them for free from a friend. So no complains, I just got to get them back on track.

After the room temp got raised, they seem to have peaked up a little. But again I have a hard time feeding them, now collecting rain water in some small barrels. The RO filter and a new pH pen is on the way, and expecting as soon I get my water chemistry in ballance. The plants will take a drastic turn to the better, or so I hope :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for a full recovery!

I don't think all 12will make it, 8 im pretty sure of!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
A few of my E-bay orders have arrived, like my thermostat for the heater. Perfect time, now winter is almost over :biggrin:
Also got a bunch of thermo and hygrometers, they where really cheap.
The difference in their reedings are zero point some celcius degrees, it's fine for a grow room.

Yesterday I was able to collect 60 liters of rainwater, and added 10 L tab water. Not much but should be enough, to feed all the plants with a 0.8 Ec nutrient mix for a week at least. By then the RO filter should be here, and I'm looking for 1000 L tanks to collect rainwater.

Finally I have started running the room on the timer, it's now running 20/4 veg cycle and not 24 hours light.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Installed my new thermo and hygrometers

The placement atm is a bit random, I think I will mount them along the wall, same with the thermometer.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
The plants are peaking up, they are responding well to the pH adjusted rainwater and low nutrient mix.

It's been a troublesome start, with the high Ec of my tab water and clearly my old pH pen was broken. So had to relay on strips and liquid aquarium pH tests, that are not very accurat.
Got a new pH pen and a RO filter, that I need to connect to a water source.

I plan to setup a rainwater collection system, with two 260 Gal IBC's and use rainwater for my grow and aquariums when ever possible.
Saving me a lot of money, every quarter I get a extra bill around 100 $ due to my large aquariums. Along with hydroponics and an RO filter, id save enough money to make it worth the work.

For now as said the plants are starting to look better, show growth and it looks light green healthier.

It's not great, but it's improvement :smokey:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Getting there

Getting there

It just takes a minute to get it all set up, then it's autopilot to frostiness. I am pretty strict with checking ph because I think it really makes everything easier. It's the first thing I consider when I see a problem especially in the coco. Looking forward to seeing them take off.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
It just takes a minute to get it all set up, then it's autopilot to frostiness. I am pretty strict with checking ph because I think it really makes everything easier. It's the first thing I consider when I see a problem especially in the coco. Looking forward to seeing them take off.

Yeah I like to check my pH at least once a day, it helps to keep the probe fresh and wet. But also tell's a lot about the nutrient mix, how stabil the pH is and if it moves up or down.

I hope im in the clear, and it's all autopilot from here. Tho I'm not expecting perfect results, with this first run in 10 years. But im deffently looking forward to see them take off, never grown in coco before. So thats totally new :biggrin:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Checking PH often is great but more importantly calibrate your pen WEEKLY. Your ph can look perfect but if your pen is wrong your ph is wrong. I have learned this the hard way a couple times. Good luck

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Checking PH often is great but more importantly calibrate your pen WEEKLY. Your ph can look perfect but if your pen is wrong your ph is wrong. I have learned this the hard way a couple times. Good luck

Yeah calibration is important, probe cleaning and storage solution too.
If you don't take care of your pH pen it will die on you

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Survival of the fittest

Survival of the fittest

Moved some plants around today, we'll call them the healthier looking clones! As non of these plants are what I would call healthy looking, but they are getting there.
I can see improvements every day.
Grouped them together under the light, so they get a better light coverage. The clones that's still not rooted, well they are fighting a hard fight! I have removed the "plastic bag" domes, so it's now or never. :biggrin:

Keeping an close eye on the pH, it drifts a bit over 12 hours. From 5.8 to 6.2, so I'd say it's all right.
Tonight I lowered the pH to 5.6 and the nutrient lvl remains on 0.9 ec

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Time

Time

I would focus on keeping the temps between 65-80, humidity above 70 and have some air flow. I wouldn’t feed or water them for a few days maybe 5 until those buckets get real fluffy light when you pick them up. If the humidity is low I would spray bottle mist with epsom or light nutes. When they dry out I would feed one good time at .8-.9 and a ph of 5.9-6 maybe with a silica added. I have also had good luck growing roots using endo mycos products like bioag’s vam. It will be a long couple weeks but they will be growing strong by then. Less is more at this point in coco.

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I would focus on keeping the temps between 65-80, humidity above 70 and have some air flow. I wouldn’t feed or water them for a few days maybe 5 until those buckets get real fluffy light when you pick them up. If the humidity is low I would spray bottle mist with epsom or light nutes. When they dry out I would feed one good time at .8-.9 and a ph of 5.9-6 maybe with a silica added. I have also had good luck growing roots using endo mycos products like bioag’s vam. It will be a long couple weeks but they will be growing strong by then. Less is more at this point in coco.

The temp is around 70-72, humidity is swinging between 50 and 75%.
I spray with pure pH adjusted water, to raise the RH about 4 times a day.

Thanks for the info about the coco, as mentioned it's my first time. I'll take them off the automatic watering, as they are getting water 3 times a day like the once in pure hydroton.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Yes sir

Yes sir

I think letting the coco dry out will help out. It’s all about the roots in veg.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Looking better and better, the pH had drifted up to 6.0 over night.
The plants in hydroton is being fed 3 times a day, and the coco mix is on a handwatering plan for now.

Res pH have been lowered to 5.7 again, nute mix is still 0,9 Ec.

It might be hard to see on the pic, under HPS light but 6 of them have peaked up and 5 of thouse are showing nice light green growth and recovering color in some of the older leafs.

The single plant in the pictures, is clearly the best looking of them all.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
The pH is stabalizing well, it still drifts a little but not much. Most of the plants, are showing healthy growth. One is still looking sad, and another still show a massive lag of N.
So it's only natural the pH drifts up, and the Ec is stabil. This show me they are uptain nutrients in the right amounts. :woohoo:

Temps are around 23C / 74F degrees
Humidity drifts up and down between 50 and 65%, I spray them 4-6 times a day with tab water.

pH 5.7
Ec 0.9

Hopefully it won't be long, till they all start to take off!

I have culled the once with out root, no reason to keep them around anymore. Kept one, as I know it have roots.
But if it will ever become anything, then sorry looking I don't know.

Can't deside if I should make clones of them and fill the table, or just scrog them and flower them out once big enough.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Room improvement

Room improvement

Installed a thermostat today, the hot side was connected to the cooltubes. So if the room get's too hot, the cooltubes will turn on.

The cold side of the thermostat, have been connected to a powerstrip.
Where I can connect my fan heater and a Honeywell fan, to help distribute the hot air in the room.

I also got around to install my new RO filter, a cheap 100$ unit and very different to my old industrial filter. This seems to produce a lot of waste water, that just goes down the drain.
Now im gonna start collecting rain water, so the RO is a backup system. But still, I wonder if I could use my RO waste water for something. Maybe collect it and when I have extra rainwater, mix it and use it for my aquariums. And the misses can water plants in the back garden, it dosn't matter they get a little high Ec. They might even live longer!

Finaly to the garden, plants are looking fine. Two are still struggeling, but they are improving slowly.

The pH haven't been dialed down, it's slowly drifted up to 6.1. But the Ec had risen to 1.0, so I added 10 Liters of RO water.
It brought the Ec down to 0.9 again and the pH went slightly up and almost hit 6.2 I have left it there.
I will keep letting it drift up to 6.5 pH, to see it that stabilizes the nutrient uptake. If not I will lower the Ec to 0.8, pH to 5.5 and see if that will do it.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
'Mystery' OG Kush

'Mystery' OG Kush

Had the chance to pick up a 4 "OG Kush" clones, now I don't know anything about them. Got them thru family, my cousin got them from his brother. So I need to get a hold of my other cousin to find out more, about the genetics of the cut's

Small but healthy looking cuts, well rooted and much better looking then the first clones I got. Gave them a thural inspection, to see if they were infected by the borg, thrips or something. They looked clean, so I took the risk given my situation.

Placed them in small cup's with coco, and I'll let them settle there befor potting them into bigger pots. Hand watering them with a mild nutrient solution, at a pH of 5.6.

The cheese is growing, one of the is really taking off. It's bottom side branch is now as big, as all the rest of the cheese clones.
As long one of them are doing well, I'll be able to make a bunch of new clones from it.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Sleeping with the fishes

Sleeping with the fishes

From now on, they will be sleeping with the fishes twice a week.

I ordered this some time ago, but have been using another folia feed up til now. Havn't had the best result with it, but thats most likely my fault for screwing with the pH's and Ec in the beginning.
Anyway, I used to use Biobizz Fishmix for folia feeding clones, plants in veg and a good way into flower. Plants love it, and it gives a great flavor to the bud!

The mystery OG Kush clones looks to settle in nicely, I moved them up under the light today.

Leafs still curling, have cut down to two waterings per day.
To see if thats the reason, why they are curling the tips down.
Color looks fine, they are looking like they could be moved to a full diet. Gonna collect some rainwater the next few days, and I'll change the nutrient mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts