What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX and Juanita sitting in a tree

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I've got a lot of extra clones laying around. I've read about grafting and tried it once with no luck. This time I'm going to try something different, referred to as an approach graft. The idea is to graft them while they still have roots. After the graft takes, the second set of roots are cut off. This will end up with a single root stock with two different strains on top.

First the clones are removed. Next they are cut with a razor exposing the central stem. Then the two cuts are placed together and held in place with some clear tubing.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Things are getting crazy in here! I figure the stretch is over and I ended up only a couple of inches from the lights. Buds are starting to form, but I can tell this girl is going way longer than 9 weeks.

Veg is getting just about as crazy. I've got plenty of clones going.

firetech89

Looking very nice, will be watching the grafting with close attention. So will the end results be two different types of flowers off one root system, or half of the flowers being a cross of the host and grafted shoot? Your flower chamber is off the hook the thing is packed to the gills. Nice work bro

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Looking very nice, will be watching the grafting with close attention. So will the end results be two different types of flowers off one root system, or half of the flowers being a cross of the host and grafted shoot? Your flower chamber is off the hook the thing is packed to the gills. Nice work bro

The idea is two types of flowers on one root system. They only share nutrients etc, not genes. So far it looks like I'm just going to have two plants in one pot.:YaRight:

Juanita is one insane chick! I wouldn't be suprised if I came home one night and found her busting out of the cab and eating small animals. Seriously though, this is the fullest I've ever had this cab.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I always seem to fall for the wild and uncontrollable women. Juanita is no exception to that. She has been feeding off of the lower leaves that are getting no light. Basically doing what I was supposed to do a week ago. I decided to keep the lower stuff and make hash and coconut oil with it.

Left light.

Right light.

I've been feeding every other watering. She got pH 6.0 water tonight. Next time I will up the dosage of nutrients.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Still taking leaves and trying to open up the canopy. I have it about half way done. The buds are finally starting to set in, I'll have to get some lights off close-ups here soon.

The veg plants are starting to over grow their area. I've been practicing my cloning and am probably about 80% successful with my micro cloner. Every week I take six new cuts, I let them root for two weeks then move down under the T5HO. I think I have a patient who is finishing their first grow, so I will have some more room for clones soon.

The grafting experiment was a failure. I my try a different method later, but for now none took.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I've been taking a lot of small branches and big fan leaves since stretch has been over. Today is 8 weeks since I flipped to 12/12. She took almost two weeks to show pistils and is mostly NLD, so I planned on taking her around 11-13 weeks. I'm just now slowly cutting out the last of the nitrogen (Bio Flores) and am continuing with the boost. Then a nice two weeks of pH water should ripen her up nicely. Next time I run her I think I'm going to run two 5 gal pots with a ScrOG.

Left light, behind this is the fan. There was a whole bunch of small branches that tried to grow behind the fan for some reason. They have been removed and airflow is improved.

The right light. It's odd, these are both the same light, but this one always seems to be less intense than the other one. Maybe it's a different environment variable. Maybe next grow I will swap the locations and see.

firetech89

Do you got any closes up of a branch, bud site development. From the pics here if they fill in from node to node those will be some huge Kolos

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Long time since I updated. So, Juanita is now 11 weeks old and I decided it was time to chop her down.

Here is a shot of the whole thing.

Left light

Right light.

Big ass pile to trim. The buds were fluffy and leafy, but smell amazing. I know I can do better.

Lessons learned:
Juanita is a stretchy strain, I expected maybe 2x stretch and it was closer to 3x by the time she was done. I was not prepared for that much stretch and over vegged, causing serious overcrowding. Next time I'm going to run two plants (different phenotypes) instead of three (of the same clone).

Juanita needs lots of pruning. I waited too long to begin pruning those big fan leaves. The large fan leaves were causing overcrowding and condensation. Next time I will be much more aggressive with the pruning.

Juanita needs support. Her thin branchy stems want to fall over once they get buds on them. The whole thing was one floppy mess. Most branches were overlapped and flopping on top of each other. Next time I'm going to do a ScrOG to take advantage of her branching and give support.

Juanita is a pain to trim. I expected to be able to trim all three plants in one sitting, so I chopped everything all at once. It took me forever to trim, and yield wasn't near where I expected.

Juanita needs less nitrogen after stretch. Notice how green everything is? She has had nothing but water for the last couple of weeks. I think too much nitrogen led to the leafy and foxtail buds too.

I'm going to grow her again. I have some clones lined up and will be putting them in to root and veg for a bit. Then I'll install the screen and flip. I should be able to fill the screen with stretch. I'm on a mission to learn and dial this strain. I know she can produce, I got a 7g bud 12/12 from seed in my PC. It may have been that phenotype, so I'm flowering that one next time too.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

About 75 grams of trim. Guess who will be making bubble hash soon?

Close up of the buds. She's not much to look at, but man is it good medicine.

About 95 grams, more than I expected. They are pretty dry will burp the jars for a few days then stash them away.

So after putting them in the jars, I rolled up a couple of joints worth of shake from on top of the screen. Shared them with the neighbors and we all got a nice uplifting heady high. For no cure and shake it tasted pretty good too.

Got my two Juanita clones up-potted to 6" squares. Going to give them a week or two to root, then I'll take some clones, transplant to 5 gallon pots, and throw up a screen. I'll probably flip them pretty quick, she is a stretchy girl.

M

Mr. Sparkle

Will be watching the next round, you'll get her dialed in for sure.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I will be out in CA for the next five days (work). I had bought these Blumat Jr ceramic cones for just this reason. I tested one in the filing cabinet for a few days and they seemed to work. I'm not expecting much from these, just want to keep the plants hydrated.

I mixed up a gallon of tap water with 5 ml/gal SM-90 and brought the pH down to 5.8. I didn't cover or insulate the resivoir, so I hope I don't get too may nasties in this short period.

This clone is Juanita #1. She was grown 12/12 from seed in my PC and yielded a nice 7 gram budlet. She was reverted, cloned, and put back in the PC.

This clone is Juanita #2. She was grown in here last time. The three plants only yielded 95 grams, but it is some TASTY smoke.

These two are competing for a permanent spot in my garden. If this round comes out satisfactory, I will be sending samples out for lab testing. I still need to do the at home CBD test on her. I still have one more seed I will probably pop after a winner is picked to see if I find something better.

I made some e-juice for my travels. I used trim from Juanita. I have to say the smell is AMAZING. I keep smoking it after I am medicated because it smells so good.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I have to go back to CA this week so the girls just got a sip of water and hooked back up to the Blumats. I had hoped to make the screen and transplant into the final pots.

This is Juanita #1, she is a little stressed from being neglected all week.

Juanita #2 is also stresses out a bit. I'll probably cut both plants back and transplant into five gallon pots this weekend.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

These girls are looking pretty hungry and neglected. They didn't handle the lack of watering the last few weeks and, as can be seen here, are root bound. I'm hoping to get them back on track this week.

I raised the lights, re-potted them into their final 5 gallon fabric pots, and fed them a half strength nutrient solution. I plan to get the screen up tomorrow night and start training them. They are bigger than I wanted them, but work comes first.

Here is Juanita #1. I swear they look better in this picture after a couple of hours after transplanting. Hopefully next week they will be healthy looking.

This is Juanita #2. She is also struggling. It's kinda hard to see in the picture, but she gets a purple color to the leaves when there isn't enough nitrogen. She's pretty when fully flushed.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Since I had to make a screen anyway, I thought I would share my method.

First take your frame, it can be wood or PVC, and drill a hole every two inches. You can make the spacing bigger or smaller if you like. Then screw in the eye hooks.

Next you will need some string. I'm using braided nylon mason line. Thread one side to make rows going one way. After that weave the columns. Don't worry too much if you can't make it tight when you tie it. If you give each eye hook a half turn or so, it will tighten up the string.

Here it is in place, the plants looked better today. The lights are exactly 18" from the screen. This should be good. I'm probably going to give them a week or so then flip them.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

The girls are looking much better since I re-potted them in the 5 gallon fabric pots. They got fed:
10 ml/gal Bio Vega
8 ml/gal Rhizotonic
5 ml/gal SM-90

Juanita #1 is doing her wild and crazy thing. The yellowing is still only on the older fan leaves, and hasn't progressed.

Juanita #2 looks a little healthier than her sister. She's not growing as fast though.

I have to CA again next week, so I need to decide when to flip the cab. Juanita #2 was grown in this cab last time. She was a stretchy girl, almost four weeks worth. She went 10 weeks and probably could have used another week. She also took two weeks to show pre-flowers. Juanita #1 has only been run in my little PC, so hopefully she will have a similar flowering time. If so, I should flip them before I leave. I'm pretty sure I can fill the screen if I do, and I'll need a second one if I don't.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I decided to flip the timer to 12/12 today, as i wont be here for the next five days to do it slowly. I counted 48/128 holes filled, thats roughly 1/3 full. I cleaned up under the screens. Anything on the main stem up until the screen was removed. There wasn't a whole lot to remove.

Up skirt shot of Juanita 1. I'm a little worried she won't stretch as much as her sister, but only one way to find out eh?

Another upskirt shot of Juanita 2. She is already filling in a lot of the screen. She will stretch plenty if last time is any indication.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Juanita after one week of 12/12. They each got a gallon of pH 6.0 water. The screen is filling in nicely. She still has another two to three weeks of stretch in her. Juanita 2 on the right finally took off and is now passing her sister. Glad I flipped when I did.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Here is the cabinet at 1.5 weeks flowering. I'm trying to keep the plants at the recommended distance from the lights, 18". I still have at least another two weeks until she stops stretching. I am starting to see pre-flowers.

Juanita 1 on the left is starting to set buds a little faster than her sister. Lots of bud sites poking through as I pull fan leaves under the screen.

Juanita 2 stretching like crazy! I'm glad I'm in town this week to train her. I've been weaving tops and tucking fan leaves every day. She started out slower, but look out, she's growing crazy now!

Latest posts

Latest posts